gun transportation

oldschoolsdime92

I have googled, and I can not find the info I need. I am going to pick up my new toys today. I wont have any ammunition in the vehical. Is there anything in particular I need to do to transport? Also, Once I do have some ammo and enroute to the range what do I need to do? I have a pickup truck.

Keep the gun and ammo seperate. They should both be out of your reach so you need to leave the vehicle to get to it. I also disassemble it and lock it in something. I also believe the box or bag it is in is supposed to be in plain sight. You need to get ahold of Likwid, he'd know.

§ 2923.16. Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

© No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

As far as I know (but I've heard a lot of opinions) if you leave it in plain sight and have the ammo separated from it, preferably locked in another compartment, you should be ok. I understand the "truck" problem..... Thats one reason why I got a CCW permit, less chance of violating the law while transporting.....

It needs to be in a box it came in or some type of case. If it is in plain site like sitting on the seat it does not need a lock if it is in a case. Or you can put it behind the seat in a case with a lock on it. If you pick up ammo it must be locked in a ammo can or in the glove box with that locked. Even with a ccw it is still a pain to transport long guns.

It should always be unloaded. It is permissible to buy a firearm and take it home. Or transport it to another place. The box or case it was purchased in is sufficient for doing that.

When in doubt, just disassemble it. You can transport it any way you want if you do that. Not sure about zip ties through the action, but it sounds like a good idea.

To be reasonable, put the firearm in a place that is the least accessible by the driver. Not under the front seat. That's a big mistake. In the trunk is always the first choice.

I'm not a big fan of the leave it in plain sight thing. That just invites theft or panic.

Be aware that many jurisdictions consider a loaded magazine to be the same as a loaded firearm. Even if the firearm isn't there.

• 2 weeks later...
Put 'er on the dash with a full mag and a round in the chamber.

When asked, tell the officer that you are Gangsta like that. Watch your head when they place you in the back seat with cuffs on, though...:D

You gonna be around tomorrow morning? I will be coming through and will have the new "toy" with me if you want to check it out.

Put 'er on the dash with a full mag and a round in the chamber.

When asked, tell the officer that you are Gangsta like that. Watch your head when they place you in the back seat with cuffs on, though...:D

I did that once.....unloaded..ammo was out of reach..the pistol was in plain sight to "me" and my buddy between the seats but i figured i'd better put it where he can see it as he pulled me over.(i kinda but not really ran a red light and was swerving trying to light a cigarette at 2am) i said officer i have a pistol on the dash, it's not loaded. All hell broke loose, squad cars came out of no where,at least 5 or six, me and my buddy were cuffed and on our knees, unfortunatley it was our cowboy hat stage, it's actually very humorous. It took the cop a while to figure out how to get us both to the back of the Bronco. One cop gave me a hard time about having my 12 gauge facing the rear of the Bronco. It was in a gun rack? a cop had gotten shot the week before so the force was a tad bit uptight and on edge. We went from cuffed at the back of the truck getting yelled at for an hour to O we're really sorry have a nice day. needless to say they didn't search my truck to good...:D

Edited by Gump

i think im okay on messing with them. One time i was in indy, and got pulled over. I didnt have a seat belt on, so i rushed to get it on. I was quickly greeted by a drawn gun through my window, and got the ass ripping of a life time, because he thought I was going for a gun.

Guys, case only applies to handguns. Longguns just need to be unloaded with action open (if possible).

Doesn't matter if it's reachable or locked or anything like that, every bit helps, but all you're required to do is unload it and leave the action open.

I never knew any of this befor i went to my conceal classes. The rules are crazy.

I agree, crimes should be clear, you should know when you've committed a crime. If you're not waving a gun around or aiming at people why do you need to transport a certain way?

I agree, crimes should be clear, you should know when you've committed a crime. If you're not waving a gun around or aiming at people why do you need to transport a certain way?

I know it! Guns are legal, ammo is legal, so why do we have to freeking jump through all these hoops to just drive it form point a to b? I think i'm allowed to have a loaded weapon within reach of me IN the car and not just on my person. Is that correct?