AR Shopping

Todd#43

well I live in Berea so I hit a few of those. I also go to the Medina shows Most of the time, it is better then the berea show. I have made my mind up on what I want to start out with when I get my ar. Rock River all the way I like the trigger on them. And the price is right for what you get. I dont need all the fancy stuff. All I want to do is add a foregrip and optics to the one I was looking at.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you let me touch it??:eek::p

Ummm...I was really hoping to avoid the gheyness in this thread, but I'm not surprised someone brought it up. :D

Rock River all the way I like the trigger on them. And the price is right for what you get. I dont need all the fancy stuff. All I want to do is add a foregrip and optics to the one I was looking at.

I dont think I need all the high zoot stuff either, but if you have the money to spend, you might as well get all you can, no?

I guess if you want to spent the cash. If it was my money I would get a good gun maybe not the best one, and spend the rest on ammo. Do the $1500 shoot that much better then the $800-900 ones do? If not then save the money for ammo. Just my 2 cents.

Do the $1,500.00 rifles shoot better? I don't know, maybe they do, maybe they don't. What appears to be evident is that more money spent will get you more accessories and goodies. I'm ok with that. Does that make it shoot better? I dont know. Ease of use and versatility would seem to improve and to me there's a value in that.

I'm certainly not going to skimp on the hardware to have more ammunition to shoot through a gun that isnt exactly what I want.

There are a few companies that actually manufacture parts for AR's. I have a Smith M&P15FT 556 NATO /.223.. I'm a smith guy, but I would go with a company you can get service from, even though you prob will never need it. I got mine at Vance's $400.00 under list and $700 under the price on the S&W site.

Do the $1,500.00 rifles shoot better? I don't know, maybe they do, maybe they don't. What appears to be evident is that more money spent will get you more accessories and goodies. I'm ok with that. Does that make it shoot better? I dont know. Ease of use and versatility would seem to improve and to me there's a value in that.

I'm certainly not going to skimp on the hardware to have more ammunition to shoot through a gun that isnt exactly what I want.

Avoid the Tier 1 vs Tier 2 rifle discussions, its painful. The 800$ AR will be just fine for your purposes.

Look for a RRA, Bushy, CMMG, Stag, LMT, etc... M4 and be done with it. That should be 800-900, make sure you get an iron sight (probably a troy or arms #40 vs the carry handle). Use the extra 100-200$ and buy mags. I prefer USGI spec mags , lots of folks are going crazy over pmags these days. Either are fine. Don't pay more than $10 a mag.

For ammo, hit Kames every now and then. They've had the best prices I've found on XM193 spec ammo when they've had it on sale.

if you like a lefty, get a lefty. Get the Stag 2HT in lefty. I built my Stag2HT from parts just because I wanted to do it myself. And after seeing mine, at least 2 of my other friends on here have bought the same one. Its a top notch AR. If your ever in columbus, feel free to get ahold of me and you can come and shoot mine anytime. Just dont bring that Lizard character. :)

if you like a lefty, get a lefty. Get the Stag 2HT in lefty. I built my Stag2HT from parts just because I wanted to do it myself. And after seeing mine, at least 2 of my other friends on here have bought the same one. Its a top notch AR. If your ever in columbus, feel free to get ahold of me and you can come and shoot mine anytime. Just dont bring that Lizard character. :)

I'm still leaning towards a left hander, but its not a must have. I'd have to say at this point though, I'm leaning towards a Stag or Rock River. I know a dude that's got the hookup on RRA, so I'm gonna give him a call today. Oh, dont worry about me bringing lizard. We're not close :D

Avoid the Tier 1 vs Tier 2 rifle discussions, its painful. The 800$ AR will be just fine for your purposes.

Look for a RRA, Bushy, CMMG, Stag, LMT, etc... M4 and be done with it. That should be 800-900, make sure you get an iron sight (probably a troy or arms #40 vs the carry handle). Use the extra 100-200$ and buy mags. I prefer USGI spec mags , lots of folks are going crazy over pmags these days. Either are fine. Don't pay more than $10 a mag.

For ammo, hit Kames every now and then. They've had the best prices I've found on XM193 spec ammo when they've had it on sale.

I intended to have several mags, so that would be in the $1500.00 budget. Obviously, if I can get something for less that appears to be a good value I'd do it. Again, I want the biggest bang for the buck, and I really dont want to do the whole gun store thing.

Good heads up on the ammo. I'll probably end up loading my own, if the components are readily available though.

I have a Bushmaster AR. I know they sell left handed versions. They are in your price range as well... Maybe a little less.

Good luck!

I looked on the Bushmaster site, and didnt see any lefties. Maybe I'm not lookin in the right place?

Go STAG over Bushmaster.. Trust me.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to RRA or STAG. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy I know up here that says he has the hook up on RRA. I'll probably go to a few shops this weekend and look at what they've got.

I'd still prefer to buy one from a private owner though.

www.ohioccwforums.org

I believe you have to register to view their classified section' date=' but I recommend doing it regardless. It's a good forum, especially for Ohioans.[/quote']

Thanks. I'll get a look at that when I get home tonight, and have time to register.

You do, and don't stray from the Classified section or you'll be sadly disappointed in the people that live in this state (even more than you may be already)

Here's what's showing up right now

WTS: Superior Arms S-15 Lower w/DPMS LPK

DCM Springfield Armory M1 Garand with goodies

I'll keep that in mind....

Yup...well, I poked around the forums that were posted in this thread anyway.

You know of any others?

www.glocktalk.com

www.ar15.com

www.thehighroad.org

www.thefiringline.com

FYI, with the AR, I really wouldn't bother reloading unless its specifically for match shooting. I've seen WAY too many problems with reloads in the AR platform. So unless you have a dillon 1050, and are a master at using it, don't waste your time. If you want cheap, get some wolf. It's more likely to go bang every time than your average reloaders crap. FWIW, I grew up reloading so I'm not speaking out of ignorance to how its done and the quality of the ammo.

www.glocktalk.com

www.ar15.com

www.thehighroad.org

www.thefiringline.com

FYI, with the AR, I really wouldn't bother reloading unless its specifically for match shooting. I've seen WAY too many problems with reloads in the AR platform. So unless you have a dillon 1050, and are a master at using it, don't waste your time. If you want cheap, get some wolf. It's more likely to go bang every time than your average reloaders crap. FWIW, I grew up reloading so I'm not speaking out of ignorance to how its done and the quality of the ammo.

Thanks for the links. I'll be checking a lot of this stuff out.

I've spent a fair amount of time reloading as well - rifle and pistol - and I'm well aware of the issues. More than likely I'll pick up a set of dies anyway for something to play around with.

Why the private sale/transfer, and not the dealer? Someone said the private sale is a smart move. I too am looking at getting an AR, and if I'd be better off going private. Also what is an FFL transfer?

I prefer a private transfer just to avoid having my name on another "list". Also I don't really need a "new" gun so a gently used piece from someone that needs some Christmas (can you say that here?) $$ might be a better value (I've had a pretty good year, so I'd like to "redistribute" a little bit of my wealth).

As far as I know an FFL transfer refers to an on-line or mail order purchase where the wholesaler ships the piece to an FFL holder who would then transfer the item to you. Basically the same as buying it in a gun store. I'm sure someone else can chime in here if I'm wrong.

I guess I'm in the minority not to be concerned about a list :) Given past conversations with folks here I'm not too surprised some folks are concerned.

But yes FFL is a middleman that basically buys the gun and then sells it to you. My first 2 guns were dealer, most recent is private party... I will admit the private cash deal was MUCH easier.

Also I've read some stuff that CC companies flag accounts that buy guns because they are "high risk" but I don't believe that.

I guess I'm in the minority not to be concerned about a list :) Given past conversations with folks here I'm not too surprised some folks are concerned.

But yes FFL is a middleman that basically buys the gun and then sells it to you. My first 2 guns were dealer, most recent is private party... I will admit the private cash deal was MUCH easier.

Also I've read some stuff that CC companies flag accounts that buy guns because they are "high risk" but I don't believe that.

I'm guessing I'm already on a list or two, so avoiding any additional unnecessary exposure would be a good thing in my book.

I wouldnt be surprised what your CC company knows or keeps track of. Thats the main reason I only have ONE card, in the business name, and it gets paid in full EVERY month.

I'll have to track down my Bushmaster flyer. I know I saw some in there.

I reload .223 and haven't had a problem with any of my reloads.

I didn't say that they didn't make them, just that I couldn't find them on their website.

I'm going to agree with you on the re-loading too. I heard all the horror stories about reloading my .45 ammo and how it was a bad idea, all the problems, blah, blah blah....I don't recall that I ever had any issues.