9mm AR15?

DLN1223

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, that big/blunt round is accurate at 200 yards out of a 16 inch barrel?

accurate? no. look at the size/weight of the bullet and the small amount of powder. .223/5.56 are shooting at over 3kfps, 9mm is around 1200 or so +/-. not to mention the rifle bullet is long and pointed to cut the air. you could prolly get the 9mm out to 200yds, but it's gonna be a hell of a drop and not consistent at all.

accurate? no. look at the size/weight of the bullet and the small amount of powder. .223/5.56 are shooting at over 3kfps, 9mm is around 1200 or so +/-. not to mention the rifle bullet is long and pointed to cut the air. you could prolly get the 9mm out to 200yds, but it's gonna be a hell of a drop and not consistent at all.

Accurate yes, precise not so much.

Just as an FYI for some comparisons. Im shooting a 180 roundnose at around 1000-1050 FPS for subsonics out of my 308. Thats a big, heavy, blunt, bullet and at 100 yards, I get 1 inch groups.

Before you all start trying to compare velocities, bullet shape, and range limits, etc, you really should learn more about ballistics and what your talking about. Dont just assume that because its a pistol round that its not good past 50 yards. Ive shot my subcompact G27 .40 at man sized steel at 100 yards and can hit them. You need to know ballistics before trying to talk ballistics. (e.g Learn how velocity, barrel twist rates, bullet ballistic coefficients, barrel length, all affect each other and the bullet performance at different distances)

Edited by flounder

just want to know does a 223 tumble when you shoot it? some one told me it was a tumble bullet

Bullets only tumble after they travel such a distance that they loose stability in flight. Or if you have a completely F'd up barrel or the wrong twist rate for the size bullet you are shooting.

Just as an FYI for some comparisons. Im shooting a 180 roundnose at around 1000-1050 FPS for subsonics out of my 308. Thats a big, heavy, blunt, bullet and at 100 yards, I get 1 inch groups.

Before you all start trying to compare velocities, bullet shape, and range limits, etc, you really should learn more about ballistics and what your talking about. Dont just assume that because its a pistol round that its not good past 50 yards. Ive shot my subcompact G27 .40 at man sized steel at 100 yards and can hit them. You need to know ballistics before trying to talk ballistics. (e.g Learn how velocity, barrel twist rates, bullet ballistic coefficients, barrel length, all affect each other and the bullet performance at different distances)

That's a long winded way of saying I'm not talking out my ass :D

just want to know does a 223 tumble when you shoot it? some one told me it was a tumble bullet

It can, but its not supposed to. You can bet tumbling bullets due to having the wrong combination of bullet weight, velocity, and barrel twist.

Typically, slower twist stabilizes lighter bullets better and faster twist for heavier bullets.

Most AR's are either 1/9, 1/8 or 1/7 twist barrels. 1/9 is supposed to be good for 55gr to 68gr or so, 1/7 for 62-80 gr stuff. I've had 1/9 barrels that did great with 77 gr stuff and I've seen them do terrible with 55gr.

Bolt guns (223) typically end up in the 1/9 to 1/12 range.

From my understanding, they make 9mm, .40, .45, and .22 AR15s for people who don't want to spend a lot on ammo. (.223)

Yes. Some use regular .223/5.56 lowers, others use proprietary lowers. I think Cavarms either has, or is coming out with, a pistol caliber lower that takes glock mags.

They also make AR's in .50beowulf, .450 bushmaster, 6.8spc, 6.5 grendal, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, etc.....

So' date=' busting my nut on Lyns' torso would be accurate shooting and keeping all the spuge concentrated on her right nipple would be precision shooting? Just want to make sure I get this gun talk broken down in a language I understand. :p[/quote']

Sounds like youve hit it on the head.. Or should I say nipple. :)