Too fat to Graduate?

CMRemaly

Say you worked for a small business owned by a good friend, such as I do. They find out that it's more to insure a smoker, so they ask you to make up the difference in insurance costs between smoker and non smoker, or get coverage elsewhere. What would you do in that situation? We don't have that happening, and it hasn't been that way in the past with smokers, and not even sure if it would come into play, just throwing it out there as a "whatif".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Say you worked for a small business owned by a good friend, such as I do. They find out that it's more to insure a smoker, so they ask you to make up the difference in insurance costs between smoker and non smoker, or get coverage elsewhere. What would you do in that situation? We don't have that happening, and it hasn't been that way in the past with smokers, and not even sure if it would come into play, just throwing it out there as a "whatif".

Thats absolutely fair, as long as obese peopledo the same. As long as people with heart conditions do the same. As long as handicap people do the same. You see? These companies should band together against the insurance companies instead of passing the buck on to us, they need to say, we're not gonna take it! to the ins. companies, but its easier to either pass it on to those who can least afford it, or employ discriminatory hiring practices.

What makes it any different than not hiring blacks (known for having high rates of heart disease) women (All those babies they have cost the insurance companies and affect the bottom line) handicapped (various expensive medical issues)?

Soon you will have to have to be a perfect physical specimen of non-smoking, healthy eating white man to get most jobs, and those are few and far between. This is just a way to discriminate against smokers and its not any more right than discriminating against any other "minority" group.

that student sucked at making any kind of coherent argument.

she wants the class to be required for all students? fine. Institute a 'placement exam' and measure each student's height and weight. calculate their BMI, and those under 30 just tested-out of that class.

then it's a graduation requirement for everyone. end of discussion.

I think using the BMI is waay off. Just think of the people that weight train either for body building or powerlifting. Hell im 5' 8" and 240 Been training for powerlifting for 2 1/2 years. Started out weighing 180. And am not fat at all but according to the car i'm obese. I think if you want to do something like that it should be based off body fat % not BMI.

I think using the BMI is waay off. Just think of the people that weight train either for body building or powerlifting. Hell im 5' 8" and 240 Been training for powerlifting for 2 1/2 years. Started out weighing 180. And am not fat at all but according to the car i'm obese. I think if you want to do something like that it should be based off body fat % not BMI.

according to them you're morbidly obese with a BMI of 36 !!!! I think you need educated on health and exercise :lol:

OMGWTBBQ!!! Why hasn't anyone ever thought about that!???! :rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/34111253#34111253

"concerned about the health of kids of color" :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry white people they dont really care about u

Are you over 30? http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

So, I'm in the overweight category, by .1. Nice. I guess my cholesterol level agrees with that! The doc said I need to get off my lazy ass and exercise an hour a day, 5 days a week. That's been over a month ago, and I haven't hit an hour yet! :eek:

Seriously, does anybody have any ideas on how to get me motivated, and what sort of stuff to do to get me started?

I think we ALL need to be more concerned with our OWN health, but not FORCED to do so.

how do you feel about snowboarding?

Brrrr.... COLD! :lol: I'm getting older, and don't handle the crashes as well as the last time I went to the "slopes of Ohio" (hills...) :lol:

I really need to start out at least walking, work up to a jog. I'd be lucky to run or jog 1/4 mile without being winded.....

Bingo! It's been a policy for 4 years. That means just about every student there enrolled after the policy was in place. Don't like that policy? Don't go to that college. Stop bitching' date=' put the Ho-Hos down and take a few laps.. you fat sack of useless fuck.[/quote']

:lol:

I nearly just about died! haha, this is great (not to mention SOOOO true)!

Brrrr.... COLD! :lol: I'm getting older, and don't handle the crashes as well as the last time I went to the "slopes of Ohio" (hills...) :lol:

I really need to start out at least walking, work up to a jog. I'd be lucky to run or jog 1/4 mile without being winded.....

Ok... how about bowling? Its a decent start, right?

I prefer hiking bc there's at least decent scenery