Black Nail Brigade, new biker rights group

schumacher

You may have heard about a biker - Anita Zaffke - who was killed by a chick who was painting her nails while driving.

Her son started an organization called The Black Nail Brigade after learning his mom's killer was not likely to be charged with anything significant.

A few weeks later (Saturday, Memorial Day weekend), a husband and wife were killed as they rode with 5 other bikes. There were two cars stopped at a stop sign, waiting to let the bikers pass. A young woman came up behind them, and hit them without slowing - no word on what she was doing other than driving (although I heard a rumor she was texting). When she hit the two cars in front of her, she pushed them into the path of the bikes. All 6 bikes went down. Wade & Denise Thomas were killed.

More important than attending wakes though, the Black Nail Brigade intends to attend court dates for drivers who kill bikers, and to keep in contact with prosecutors and politicians to fight for stricter penalties for those who kill bikers due to willful negligence while driving.

http://www.blacknailbrigade.org/

I actually think this is a pretty damn good idea. I'm sick of hearing about people mowing down riders while texting, driving drunk, etc and getting off with nothing but a "we'd really rather you didn't do that again, have a nice day".

I actually think this is a pretty damn good idea.

It does sound like a good idea if you have the time to track the court dates and be able to make it to them,

that will be hard for most people that work.

I hope that this organization can provide the legal clout necessary to getting vehicular laws applied equally...if a pedestrian is hit by a car, and a motorcyclist is hit by a car, why should the penalty to the driver of the car be different?

Good luck to Black Nails.

I like this statement he makes...

There are those with the opinion, "If you ride a motorcycle, you get what you get." This is the classic "Donorcycle" opinion. I pity their ignorance & callousness.

Our personal moral authority, our laws & the consequences they hold on our actions should protect the most vulnerable on the road.

What would the reaction be if all the "Big Rigs" suddenly decided they didn't have to pay full attention to driving and started mowing down cars in epidemic proportions? Would we get rid of cars and call them "Donormobiles"? People need to know the steel cage they drive in might protect them on the road but it doesn't make them immune to punishment of the reckless decisions they make while driving.