Laptop Batteries

CleaveTheGreat

So my laptop battery took a shit and won't hold a charge and now I need to buy a new one. I don't wanna spend $150 to buy a replacement one from HP so I was thinking about buying a non-OEM one from Ebay. Anyone have any experience with these? I don't want to buy something that's gonna blow up in a week

I bought one of these for my dell.....it was brand new on ebay and I think I paid like $60 shipped for it back in 06. Used it relentlessly for about 2 years until I got my new DELL from work. It sat for about 8 months of zero use and when I fired it up about a month ago it worked but a full charge only last an hour

Needless to say I think I got plenty of use out of it

If it's a Dell, go here: http://ftp1.us.dell.com/diags/R66243.htm

go to section 4, "Battery recalibration". We've done this at work with about 75% success. It basically drains the battery completely then recharges it. Best to let it run overnight. 3+ billion dollar company and we do crap like this instead of keeping $80 batteries on hand...:confused:

<sigh>

I bought one of these for my dell.....it was brand new on ebay and I think I paid like $60 shipped for it back in 06. Used it relentlessly for about 2 years until I got my new DELL from work. It sat for about 8 months of zero use and when I fired it up about a month ago it worked but a full charge only last an hour

Needless to say I think I got plenty of use out of it

Yeah I'd be more than happy with that.

Batteries+

I'll check that out

what he said^^^, unless work's buying, then just get OEM from the manufacturer.

Unfortunately work is not buying so it's coming out of pocket.

If it's a Dell, go here: http://ftp1.us.dell.com/diags/R66243.htm

go to section 4, "Battery recalibration". We've done this at work with about 75% success. It basically drains the battery completely then recharges it. Best to let it run overnight. 3+ billion dollar company and we do crap like this instead of keeping $80 batteries on hand...:confused:

<sigh>

I wish it was a Dell. Unfortunately it's an HP

Thanks for the info everyone

The "battery recalibration" thingy of one sort or another works with any rechargable.

It's worth a try. I usually don't get much more life out of it, but you never know.

What Gixxie750 said... Batteries Plus is where we go at work to beat the other prices.

Bought a battery from e-bay for my Thinkpad about a year ago. Gave me about 3 hours on full bore. Now I get about 1 1/2 hours out of it. I have a friend here in Cambridge that owns a battery business. He rebuilds batteries for about anything, and makes better cleaner power for laptops, etc. The only problem is if you fly, there are restrictions on how much lithium you can have in your battery. He sells any kind of battery, and rebuilds DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi, you name it, they can make it.

Bought a battery from e-bay for my Thinkpad about a year ago. Gave me about 3 hours on full bore. Now I get about 1 1/2 hours out of it. I have a friend here in Cambridge that owns a battery business. He rebuilds batteries for about anything, and makes better cleaner power for laptops, etc. The only problem is if you fly, there are restrictions on how much lithium you can have in your battery. He sells any kind of battery, and rebuilds DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi, you name it, they can make it.

I've got 2 18v batteries for a cordless drill. I'm considering throwing the drill away, how much does he rebuild batteries for?

Don't fly much with it. Would he be able to build me a 12 cell? The 6 doesn't cut it

I've got 2 18v batteries for a cordless drill. I'm considering throwing the drill away, how much does he rebuild batteries for?

Sorry it took me so long to reply.... He did 2 18 volt for my Dad about a month ago, I think they were $38 each. It depends a lot on the brand. I know that the DeWalts cost more. If you consider what a new one costs, you cant beat it. He rebuilt my rechargeable batteries for my streamlight survivor I carry on my fire gear, 2 years ago, and it still lasts hours on a charge.