really want a dual sport/motard

oldschoolsdime92

I really want a dual sport or super moto, so i am starting my savings fund. Does anyone have any recomendations? I looked around alittle on craigslist but I cant seem to find much. Whats everyones thoughts? I think I would prefer a dual sport over a sm because I want to be able to do some trail riding too.

WR250R/X, if you're wanting to do trails. Great off road bike, Husky 610 is also superb compromise bike that's good at everything and easy to SM.

If you're looking used or on a budget, any year of 525EXC, DR400SM, CRF450X with a kit, etc.

i love the wr's I would have to lower it considerably as I am only 5.7 and the seat height is above my waist.

i kinda was thinking about that also. does anyone ever go on any snow rides? I used to ride my quad in the snow all the time, and if i could make one street legal id be all over that.

where there is a will, there is a way. A four wheeled vehicle falls under the same rules as a car (need a windshield, seatbelts, goverment crash ratings..etc) obviously its impossible.

...but a three wheeled vehicle is considered a motorcycle, some people fit a motorcycle swingarm to their quad (doesnt have to work) get it legal, and swap out the rear

thats a great looking cr! Yes I need to get to saving! I just wanted to see what was popular, as I havent looked into them much, other than when I went to the yamaha dealership dead set on a wr250x, i called in advance to see if they had one, they said they did. I got there and they thought i said "cr450f" and attempted to sell me a used abused ragged out dirt bike.

thats a great looking cr! Yes I need to get to saving! I just wanted to see what was popular, as I havent looked into them much, other than when I went to the yamaha dealership dead set on a wr250x, i called in advance to see if they had one, they said they did. I got there and they thought i said "cr450f" and attempted to sell me a used abused ragged out dirt bike.

Dealership / stealership, ya need to put the "STFU" smack down on the sales person as soon as you walk through the door. If they lie to you once call them on it and walk out, they're not worth your time.

Have you riden off road before? If not for your size you might consider a Yamaha XT250 or DRZ400S or E.

Have your finances in order, then walk in like you could buy the place, find what you want (don't settle for less) and then make them work to make it happen. It's their job.;) Otherwise just keep checking CL over the winter. Every once in a while someone has a nice bike they "have to sell" and will let it go for a great price.

You're in Troy? It's a long ride to the nearest offroading areas in OH for you and me. Might wanna consider a trailer as DS tires wear faster on pavement. Unless there is som great offroading areas I don't know about around Clark county. :rolleyes:

yes I have ridden offroad before, I started riding quads when i was 6 or 7. Rode an old 250x, and then a blaster, and a 400 ex. All my offroad experiece have been on quads, but thats alright I suppose. I did call the guy on it. He jumped and wanted to order me one and cold have it in three days, and I looked at the dual sport version of the wr and left. I was not dealing with him.

Don't think all dealerships are like stated above. There are PLENTY of legit dealerships that do things right. The guys that think all of them are "stealerships" are typically shit customers that want everything for free...

As for a Sumo bike, the guys recommending the DRZ400 are those that probably haven;t ridden a converted 450 MX bike. The 450s are night and day as as seen in the pics above of crf69s, they can be VERY awesome street legal steeds.

The DRZ is a great choice for long rides and something heavier for the guy that doesn't ride them aggressively. The DRZ is VERY heavy and VERY low on power output. It is a trail/play bike converted for street use.

I like the WRX, Husky, etc ideas, too. More MX oriented. BUT, to each their own. I also think the dual sport bikes are a great choice and for that, a few stand out.

Do some searching and ask yourself what you want to do with it. The one from CL that you proposed is only $1500. If you are under a budget, there are better options. The one you listed is very soft in suspension and a play/trail bike moreso than a sturdier one you'll get with something converted or more aggressive. Yamaha's 250 sumo is pretty neat if you want something smaller and honestly, is better at a lot of things than the DRZ400 is... But, again - it's what you want...

i love the wr's I would have to lower it considerably as I am only 5.7 and the seat height is above my waist.

Most of the SM's are pretty tall, but you can work around that with a link & seat mod....I'm not much taller and have never flat-footed any of my offroad bikes.

Don't think all dealerships are like stated above. There are PLENTY of legit dealerships that do things right. The guys that think all of them are "stealerships" are typically shit customers that want everything for free...

No, just keep running into the sales people who could screw up selling water to a person on fire. Ran into one once who didn't even ride and knew nothing more than what was on the sales pamphlet.

As for thinking off road riding on a four wheeler is like off roading a motorcycle, well all I can say is have fun. :lol: Can I be there with a video cam? ;)