Any Bow hunters out there?

flounder

Matthews, PSE, Hoyt, Bow-Tech are all great brands.

I'm sure you know already, buy before you just buy one, go find the ones you are looking at and get a release or test release from the place and draw it a few times. Get a feel for a few before you buy one. Look for how hard it is to pull back to full draw and keep there. Double cam bows will want to snap out of your hand in a hurry and is hard to keep back for an extended period of time, but will be faster. Single cam bows will be smoother through the draw and to keep held back, but a little slower speed.

It depends on what you want out of it. Are you target/competition shooting or hunting?

For the last two years, I have used a Reflex Bighorn as my starter bow, and collected deer every year with no problem. That said, it also isn't an easy bow either. It is a Cam & half slam (double cam) bow, and it wants to launch itself if you barely move forward with your hand, and kicks out on the bottom and took some work to get use to. You also have to have a good set of arrows and broadheads/tips. If you use a fast/high pound bow, then your arrows might flex too much and you need some larger/stronger. #300-400 (Carbon is always my pref)

My next bow will probably be a PSE Bowmadness. I tested a lot of Matthews, Hoyt, PSE and a few misc others before deciding on it. Do your research online and get reviews from what other people say about them. And make sure to figure out what drawlenght you are. I'm 6'2" and have a 29" draw, and usually have a bow Lb around 55-65 depending on stability. And make sure to find a reputable place to tune it for you. Getting the Rest/Knock straight with the arrow, Kisser Button, peep sight aligned for your eye so you don't have to twist and turn your head, and the limbs equal so its balanced when shooting. And if needed get a stabilizer to balance it in your hand.

Just like your guns, theres a lot of options and then more options for accessories on your bow of choice. Feel free to ask me if you need more help :)

Edited by SJC1000rr

Im thinking of purchasing my first compound bow and just wondered if there were any other bow hunters here.

Ive done quite a bit of looking and I think Ive settled on getting a new Mathews Z7.

http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-13057-44-ViewProduct-1502-324.asp

flounder i am going to tell you the truth, i own a switchback xt and absolutely love it, but from what i hear mathews has been doing a lot of stupid stuff with their bow construction. and if your looking at a martin, they are the same company. i cant stress enough how much i hate to say this but if you are going to look for a nice top of the line and easy to shoot bow go with a hoyt or an older mathews, more specifically a switchback or an adrenaline. and a bow is a lot like a bike, youre going to find that they have comfort levels and your going to have to go around to different shops and try them out. i dont know of any shops in the c-bus area that would let you do such a thing though. there are very few in the dayton cincy area.

Matthews, PSE, Hoyt, Bow-Tech are all great brands.

I'm sure you know already, buy before you just buy one, go find the ones you are looking at and get a release or test release from the place and draw it a few times. Get a feel for a few before you buy one. Look for how hard it is to pull back to full draw and keep there. Double cam bows will want to snap out of your hand in a hurry and is hard to keep back for an extended period of time, but will be faster. Single cam bows will be smoother through the draw and to keep held back, but a little slower speed.

It depends on what you want out of it. Are you target/competition shooting or hunting?

For the last two years, I have used a Reflex Bighorn as my starter bow, and collected deer every year with no problem. That said, it also isn't an easy bow either. It is a Cam & half slam (double cam) bow, and it wants to launch itself if you barely move forward with your hand, and kicks out on the bottom and took some work to get use to. You also have to have a good set of arrows and broadheads/tips. If you use a fast/high pound bow, then your arrows might flex too much and you need some larger/stronger. #300-400 (Carbon is always my pref)

My next bow will probably be a PSE Bowmadness. I tested a lot of Matthews, Hoyt, PSE and a few misc others before deciding on it. Do your research online and get reviews from what other people say about them. And make sure to figure out what drawlenght you are. I'm 6'2" and have a 29" draw, and usually have a bow Lb around 55-65 depending on stability. And make sure to find a reputable place to tune it for you. Getting the Rest/Knock straight with the arrow, Kisser Button, peep sight aligned for your eye so you don't have to twist and turn your head, and the limbs equal so its balanced when shooting. And if needed get a stabilizer to balance it in your hand.

Just like your guns, theres a lot of options and then more options for accessories on your bow of choice. Feel free to ask me if you need more help :)

Agreed. I liked both the mathews and hoyts. I was interested in the hoyt alphamax and the maxis line but the the alphamax is damn expensive (super fast bow though) and the maxis is a bit slower then the mathews for the same price. Like you said. they will all get the job done. I pulled them all back and held them and the Z7 was really smooth and the 80% letoff is real nice.

I like the Z7 quite a bit. Im going to get it with a 60-70lb draw tuned to most likely 65# to start. Im a 29 in draw as well. The Z7 is a single cam and it stays put when you release and doesnt jump much at all due to how its designed. 7" brace and still shooting 332 FPS.. Thats quick for a single cam 7" brace

The Z7 has been getting great reviews and from what Ive read, their customer service is outstanding.

Edited by flounder