internet speeds

4DAIVI PAI2K5

so ive done a few speed test on my internet and it is so inconsistent i have had as high as 21.09 and as low as 10.89 on my download speed but my upload stays at 0.71 or 0.72 did about 6 test my highest number were achieved after just opening my browser... why is this and can i get it more consistent??? when i have a bad game of mw2 im going to be blaming it on my inconsistent inet service

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

with chicago

i get 768kb down 305kb up........so yours is hella better

Sucks to be you :D, w/Chicago mine tested out.....

Download Speed: 11761 kbps (1470.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 497 kbps (62.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

ummm what does business inet cost run???

I don't know, I just know "business class" is available. Imagine you own a biz and you need all your

employees pc's jacked in and online, imagine the bandwidth they pump to you so all the pc's can do their thing.

Now just imagine having all that juice from home, yeah that'd be nice.

which provider are you using?

the ISP's usually have an speedtest site that just tests the speed from your modem/router to their systems...if it's slow there THEN you can complain to your ISP about slow speeds...if it's normal there then your issue is with your computer(since you're getting varying speeds running the same speedtest). First try to make sure you don't have viruses/malware/spyware/trojans/etc.. Also, what browser are you using? if it's IE then IE sucks and that's your problem, if its FF then check to see your add-ons and such to see if there are things sucking the speed out of your internet, check this on your computer too, see if things are slowing down your speeds...if all that is clear, do a final check. Turn off anything that uses the internet except for what you use to play MW2 and play MW2, if you still have issues then maybe it's the system you're using or the server you're playing in. Always check your ping when you start lagging in MW2 see if you're the only one lagging. Sometimes almost everyone is lagging except the host cuz the host aint so great, but they're the best option for the game...that's all i have for now with the limited info you've given...

which provider are you using?

the ISP's usually have an speedtest site that just tests the speed from your modem/router to their systems...if it's slow there THEN you can complain to your ISP about slow speeds...if it's normal there then your issue is with your computer(since you're getting varying speeds running the same speedtest). First try to make sure you don't have viruses/malware/spyware/trojans/etc.. Also, what browser are you using? if it's IE then IE sucks and that's your problem, if its FF then check to see your add-ons and such to see if there are things sucking the speed out of your internet, check this on your computer too, see if things are slowing down your speeds...if all that is clear, do a final check. Turn off anything that uses the internet except for what you use to play MW2 and play MW2, if you still have issues then maybe it's the system you're using or the server you're playing in. Always check your ping when you start lagging in MW2 see if you're the only one lagging. Sometimes almost everyone is lagging except the host cuz the host aint so great, but they're the best option for the game...that's all i have for now with the limited info you've given...

ive got time warners road runner with turbo boost (fastest inet they offer) im using goolge chrome. when i play mw2 i direct connect my xbox to my modem. my signal on there is between 3 and 4 bars outta 4 bars normally.

Try this link: http://www.speedtest.insight.rr.com/

This test will check the speed directly from your modem to their system somewhere in Columbus

I too have RR with turbo boost I got these results:

Your Download Speed = 7.47Mbps or 957.01KBytes/sec

Your Upload Speed = 743.91Kbps or 92.98KBytes/sec

Home internet connections are a fickle bitch. There are several things you should keep in mind while dealing with them:

1) Your contract states they will supply you with up to a certain amount of bandwidth. This is your ISP's way of saying "we'll do our best, but if you don't get the exact numbers you expect, tough shit".

2) Your bandwidth will be greatly affected by how many other people are on your 'grid'. If you're the only guy in town with a given ISP, you'll have better speeds than someone who lives on a block where every house uses the same ISP. Also,

3) Things fluctuate. A week ago, I was barely getting 5 megs down/1 meg up on a connection that is advertised as 16 down/2 up. I just ran a speed test and got 15.97 down/1.8 up...much better. If stuff is slow for a few days, no biggie...if it consistantly stays significantly below what you're paying for...proceed to part 4.

4) ISP's are greedy bastards who won't hesitate to cheat you out of some bandwidth if they think they can get away with it...or at the very least, they aren't proactive about checking to see if you're being properly served. At my last place near campus, we had Time Warner and a supposed 12 down/2 up connection. It was painfully slow and I began to get suspicious, so I started running speed tests frequently and logging the results. We were consistently getting less than half of what we were paying for so I called TW and bitched. If you threaten to cancel your contract, an ISP will typically bend over backwards to keep you as a customer. I told them I had received a mailer from WOW internet with an amazing deal, and my shit got fixed really quick. It essentially amounted to the guy going "oh yeah it seems that you are getting slow speeds...here, lemmie try something. Is it faster now? You're welcome, we're sorry about that." Prior to me threatening changing/dropping my service, he was blaming the slow speeds on my router, my modem, my neighbors, my computer, my browser, the fact that I touch myself at night and God sees it and is angry with me...virtually saying anything to take the blame off of TW.

If you are constantly getting speeds well below what the numbers on your plan suggest, get on the horn and demand some service...at worst you'll be out 30 minutes of your time and have a better understanding of your actual service.

Also, for the record, when I called Time Warner about our roadrunner issues, the tech had me use http://speedtest.net/ for the speed tests. I did the test on that site and the speakeasy site linked earlier and the difference in speed between Chicago using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and Cinci using http://speedtest.net/ were almost zero. Both of those sites should give you pretty accurate readings. (15.97down/1.8up on speedtest.net, 16.01down/1.81up on speakeasy)

Edited by Harb67

Home internet connections are a fickle bitch. There are several things you should keep in mind while dealing with them:

1) Your contract states they will supply you with up to a certain amount of bandwidth. This is your ISP's way of saying "we'll do our best, but if you don't get the exact numbers you expect, tough shit".

2) Your bandwidth will be greatly affected by how many other people are on your 'grid'. If you're the only guy in town with a given ISP, you'll have better speeds than someone who lives on a block where every house uses the same ISP. Also,

3) Things fluctuate. A week ago, I was barely getting 5 megs down/1 meg up on a connection that is advertised as 16 down/2 up. I just ran a speed test and got 15.97 down/1.8 up...much better. If stuff is slow for a few days, no biggie...if it consistantly stays significantly below what you're paying for...proceed to part 4.

4) ISP's are greedy bastards who won't hesitate to cheat you out of some bandwidth if they think they can get away with it...or at the very least, they aren't proactive about checking to see if you're being properly served. At my last place near campus, we had Time Warner and a supposed 12 down/2 up connection. It was painfully slow and I began to get suspicious, so I started running speed tests frequently and logging the results. We were consistently getting less than half of what we were paying for so I called TW and bitched. If you threaten to cancel your contract, an ISP will typically bend over backwards to keep you as a customer. I told them I had received a mailer from WOW internet with an amazing deal, and my shit got fixed really quick. It essentially amounted to the guy going "oh yeah it seems that you are getting slow speeds...here, lemmie try something. Is it faster now? You're welcome, we're sorry about that." Prior to me threatening changing/dropping my service, he was blaming the slow speeds on my router, my modem, my neighbors, my computer, my browser, the fact that I touch myself at night and God sees it and is angry with me...virtually saying anything to take the blame off of TW.

If you are constantly getting speeds well below what the numbers on your plan suggest, get on the horn and demand some service...at worst you'll be out 30 minutes of your time and have a better understanding of your actual service.

Also, for the record, when I called Time Warner about our roadrunner issues, the tech had me use http://speedtest.net/ for the speed tests. I did the test on that site and the speakeasy site linked earlier and the difference in speed between Chicago using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and Cinci using http://speedtest.net/ were almost zero. Both of those sites should give you pretty accurate readings. (15.97down/1.8up on speedtest.net, 16.01down/1.81up on speakeasy)

Yea, you covered everything I was gonna say next...:p

All 4 points are extremely true too

I get around 22 down and 730k up.

I'm sure the 22 is just bursting to that speed and would drop off, since that's their "turbo" option. When testing from my laptop, it tops out around 16 down, thanks to wireless g.

The sad thing is that I don't hardly use much of that bandwidth for email, and web surfing.... Once in a while, I download stuff where I can use the additional bandwidth.

We (Insight) are in the process of breaking out nodes/cells all the time. Due to the holidays we are in a "Moratorium" So we are not suppose to do any maintenance unless it's an outage of some sort. However, we are in the process of running new cabling for the RR returns. By next year most nodes and cells will be on their own port on the C4. We are also doing node breakouts and adds, they base the new nodes and the breakouts on number of subscribers in the node based on VOD and RR users. We are adding our 11th C4 probably in January, and I venture to guess there will probably be at least one more added by the end of next year. Within the 3 - 4 years I've been in the headend we have added quite a few C4's, which replaced the UBR's we were using. Just a bit of information for Insight customers.

If you guys are having issues with Insight service you can let me know and I'll work on geting the issues resolved. Just don't ask me for a credit on your bill, or free service, or free HBO etc. I will laugh at you!! I work for them and don't get free sevice.

you bastards with over 1k dl have no idea how good you got it. However, I wouldn't trade places with you, You can have fast internet but you cant walk out the back door and pop off a shotgun or ride dirtbikes on your property :D :D

I get 22MB down, and 768K up, and I hear shotguns all the time, and rdirtbikes and atvs of all sorts, not to mention snowmobiles in the winter. The road I live on turns to dirt about 1/2 mile down, past where all the houses are. I am at, or at least very near the end of the cable run that I'm on.

I get 22MB down, and 768K up, and I hear shotguns all the time, and rdirtbikes and atvs of all sorts, not to mention snowmobiles in the winter. The road I live on turns to dirt about 1/2 mile down, past where all the houses are. I am at, or at least very near the end of the cable run that I'm on.

bah you suck.

I did call up verizon and bitch at them, and my download speed more than doubled...2125kb down, 343kb up.....this morning it was 768kb down 305kb up LOL muchas better

bah you suck.

I did call up verizon and bitch at them, and my download speed more than doubled...2125kb down, 343kb up.....this morning it was 768kb down 305kb up LOL muchas better

I have Roadrunner, Time Warner. I was a diehard DSL user until about 2 years ago when I moved I got RR, it ended up being cheaper, since I didn't want to carry a landline for phone anymore. I haven't runed back since! I just wish I had slightly better upload.

That's a bit low, I think due to the time of day, etc... In the evening I can get a little more DL speed out of it.

655572804.png

just got 16.82 and .71

then 4 mins later got 20.48and .72

2 mins later got 19.35 and .72

1 min later got 14.77 and .72

grrr i just want it consistent at like 100.00 and 1.99, is that to much to ask for?

100.00 down/1.99 up? Better see if you can get a Japanese ISP to lay some cable through the planets core or under the ocean or something, because a 100 down home connection in the US is unheard of :lol: We're so damn behind in internet speeds in this country...