It didnt go 200k...but almost!

oldschoolsdime92

made me really sad to hear the news of his bike. He texted me right when it happened. couldn't believe it. I'm just glad he's ok more than anything.

really gonna miss that bike.

DSC01129.jpg

man that was a fun day!! Hocking Hills FTW!!!

RIP ironmang!!

Edited by warhols_

made me really sad to hear the news of his bike. He texted me right when it happened. couldn't believe it. I'm just glad he's ok more than anything.

really gonna miss that bike.

DSC01129.jpg

man that was a fun day!! Hocking Hills FTW!!!

RIP ironmang!!

vinny? i didnt know you were on here? ...or maybe i just forgot? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the love guys :) I've had a little time to calm down and re-analyze the whole situation, and I think it may not be quite as bas as I originally thought. I'm not gonna let her die just yet!! haha

I'm currently waiting for the insurance co to come out and look at it... I know they're gonna total it but I'll buy it back and use the difference to fix it up. Soon as they come out and look at it, I'm gonna get right to work and start tearing it down. Gotta drop the engine out first and re-weld the case where it cracked, and weld one of the little stator cover mounting holes back onto the case where it snapped that off. Then I've gotta check the runout on the crankshaft.... hopefully it didn't bend that, but I'll fix or replace if need be. Already got a swingarm and an upper fairing with headlight on the way... should be here any time. My headlight wasn't damaged in the wreck but the lens was getting kinda foggy from so many miles of use. Really not a whole lot left after that, other than a left fairing it's just a couple smaller cosmetic things and a lil paint, and a new stator and stator cover. I'll get her all fixed up ASAP though... I haven't ridden for 2 weeks now and it's killing me! hahah

I'll probably post up a re-build thread once I get going and post pictures of my progress as I go along ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well... just a lil update on this

Insurance company came out this past Thursday and looked at the bike, they said it would prob be a few days and I'd be getting a call from the claims office. So hopefully I hear something from them this week, and can get a check and really get going with the rebuild.

I finally got the flywheel off today... I was hoping for the best, but was sadly disappointed. Crankshaft is indeed bent pretty good at the end... enough that I not only can easily see it's bent just by looking at it, but it's also still keeping the engine from turning. I've got a buddy who's boss does machine work, and said he should be able to straighten out the crank without any probs, so hopefully he's right! If not, then I guess another crankshaft is the next plan. Also gonna see just how bad the damage is when I split the cases open. If the inside of the case is pretty tore up, I may end up looking for a good used engine. We'll see though....

177000 miles on a bike...

And in 5 years too!! :D hehe

I bought the bike brand spankin' new 10-17-04 with 3 miles on the clock. Took these pics soon as I got home from the dealership.... she was all of 30 minutes old here

cbr08.jpg

cbr05.jpg

cbr06.jpg

cbr02.jpg

cbr03.jpg

Poor thing.... she will run again!! Soon as I get everything finalized with the insurance company, I'm gonna start tearing her apart. The cosmetic damages really weren't that bad.... a couple plastics, mirrors, and a shift lever is about it. Got some scratches on the swingarm but I'm just gonna sandblast that and maybe powdercoat it clear. The biggest job in the whole ordeal is to get the engine squared away. I'm gonna drop it out and see what it's gonna take to fix it, and get to work on it

• 1 month later...

Well I (finally) made some good progress today!

Beginning

09f433d8.jpg

Then...

d23c5eec.jpg

Rafters and ratchet straps to the rescue

ec60559e.jpg

Oh and milk crates too

4e3b4d6c.jpg

Success!

04977c8b.jpg

She's dirrrrty

1ccd3ff4.jpg

Poor thing :(

92bb161b.jpg

But, this was the biggest part of the job that I needed to get done, so it definitely won't be long now! Gonna take it down to my buddies in Greenville, SC next weekend and he'll be able to tell me if it's salvageable or not, and we'll go from there. Either way, I should be back on the road again here soon!

• 1 month later...

Well guys.... I haven't really kept anyone up to date on exactly what I've been up to lately. I don't want to spill the beans just yet (that'll be posted later), but lets just say I've just completed some MAJOR surgery on my bike. It won't be long now, she should be back on the road in the next couple of days!

As for me.... I'm quite possibly the happiest guy alive after what you see in this video. I know it doesn't seem like much, but after I post up my massive rebuild thread with pictures, it'll all make perfect sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovbu0W2hJ6o