www.freecreditreport.com

Steve Butters

nobody use this site...it is a complete scam

Im dealing with a retirement account i have set up, and while switching it to a new company my social security number was showing as a duplicate in their system. I signed up for this site to verify nobody else was using my credit. At signup it asks for a credit card number but says there will be no charge during the 7-day trial period. So I signed up and it showed me a report from Experian. There was a button that said something to the effect of, "View your three score report" or something. It brought me to a screen that showed my reports from all 3 companies. Everything looked good so i signed out.

Logged into my bank account today to find a $24.95 charge. I called FCR and they explained to me that i agreed to the $24.95 charge when i clicked the button to view the 3 reports, and that only the single one was free. There were no charge/billing verifications, and nowhere did it mention the charge. I asked to speak with a supervisor who, after a long argument, agreed to finally refund me. She said that they can't process refunds out of that office and she gave me a number to send a fax to; supposedly she also made a note on my account for the refund. She tried to tell me there was a billing confirmation and a credit card number verification etc etc...bullshit.

I do not have a fax machine, and my printer is broken, so i wont be able to send the fax until Monday morning. I'm really not expecting my refund, I'm chalking it up as a lesson learned. But I thought I would post up here and let everyone know so that they will not fall victim to this scam.

I called 10 minutes after i viewed my report to cancel my account, if you do not call to cancel, you will automatically start being charged monthly.

The ordeal with my ssn that caused this all ended up being a mistake in SWBC's paperwork, so its all straightened out now anyways.

just giving yall a heads up, before you make the same mistake i did

Another one sucked in... :nono:

And trust me, that information that you will be billed is in there - the fine print. The credit reports are free... you pay the $25/mo for a "Credit Monitoring Service"

Your first clue is that you NEVER should have to give a credit card or check information to something 'supposedly' free. I've never been burned by living by this rule, but I know a TON of people that bitch about that same thing.

The FREE website is http://www.annualcreditreport.com/

That's the one endorsed by the FTC

Another one sucked in... :nono:

And trust me, that information that you will be billed is in there - the fine print. The credit reports are free... you pay the $25/mo for a "Credit Monitoring Service"

Your first clue is that you NEVER should have to give a credit card or check information to something 'supposedly' free. I've never been burned by living by this rule, but I know a TON of people that bitch about that same thing.

The FREE website is http://www.annualcreditreport.com/

That's the one endorsed by the FTC

+1. I saw that same thing and said if it's supposed to be free there's no way they're getting a CC number.

Then found the link Jrm posted.

I can't for the life of me figure out why people still use these credit report sites when the government provides a free report from each carrier per year....

They were a scam before, and they still are... almost as big a scam as the "free trials" that cost $2 shipping