anyone running xp black 32 bit?

4DAIVI PAI2K5

I guess you mean that bootleg xp black. Seen it, haven't tried it.

Get an XP oem install from somebody and see if it will take the windows serial number from the MS sticker on your computer when you install it. That's the first thing to try. And backup your stuff before you wipe it out. If it's Dell, HP, etc, you'll have to get the "special" XP install from them or somewhere.

I guess you mean that bootleg xp black. Seen it, haven't tried it.

Get an XP oem install from somebody and see if it will take the windows serial number from the MS sticker on your computer when you install it. That's the first thing to try. And backup your stuff before you wipe it out. If it's Dell, HP, etc, you'll have to get the "special" XP install from them or somewhere.

What do you do when the number on the bottom of the laptop is not readable anymore, and some dumbass forgot to write it down when it was new? :lol:

I guess I just need to buy a copy of 7, or a Technet sub when I decide to re-install the laptop.

What do you do when the number on the bottom of the laptop is not readable anymore, and some dumbass forgot to write it down when it was new? :lol:

I guess I just need to buy a copy of 7, or a Technet sub when I decide to re-install the laptop.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224

How to obtain a replacement product key

To replace a Microsoft product key, you must contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support. To locate the appropriate telephone number, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;cntactms (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;cntactms)

Note When you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support for a replacement product key, you may have to pay a fee. You may also have to provide information from your computer or from the product CD or DVD when you are speaking to the customer service representative.

Product Key finder programs:

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.1e)

Top 13 Free Product Key Finder Programs

btw, there are two product key stickers, one on the computer, and one on the documentation/disks. Sometimes...

edit: Also worth reading:

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs and product upgrades, and replace product manuals

Edited by ReconRat

If it still boots into Windoze and you just need your product key, try Magic Jelly Bean Key Finder, finds yer Windoze, Office, most M$ crap that requires a key.

Tested, used often, it works.

OR, go to Best Buy, Wally World, Micro Renter, anywhere new machines are sold, use camera on your cell to snap pix of the stickers on brand new machines...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224

Product Key finder programs:

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.1e)

Top 13 Free Product Key Finder Programs

btw, there are two product key stickers, one on the computer, and one on the documentation/disks. Sometimes...

Yeah, exactly... SOMETIMES.... I'll have to look in the docs, there were no disks that came with it, Toshiba is stingy with that stuff anymore.

If it still boots into Windoze and you just need your product key, try Magic Jelly Bean Key Finder, finds yer Windoze, Office, most M$ crap that requires a key.

Tested, used often, it works.

OR, go to Best Buy, Wally World, Micro Renter, anywhere new machines are sold, use camera on your cell to snap pix of the stickers on brand new machines...

Oooo.. Nice idea on the pic snapping! :lol:

I'll try out one of the key finders, see what I get!

Yeah, exactly... SOMETIMES.... I'll have to look in the docs, there were no disks that came with it, Toshiba is stingy with that stuff anymore.

You will probably have to have a set of install disks from Toshiba for installing the op sys, to match the Toshiba product key. Call Toshiba support, as many times as necessary, till they send you a set of disks to do that. Normally a small charge for "shipping". Good luck.

You will probably have to have a set of install disks from Toshiba for installing the op sys, to match the Toshiba product key. Call Toshiba support, as many times as necessary, till they send you a set of disks to do that. Normally a small charge for "shipping". Good luck.

I'll prolly just get a new copy of 7 to put on it once the software we use at work is ok for 7. Actually, I should check, it ,might work now!

Its a dell... old one my mcfee went bonkers and screwed my shit up

The McAfee mess is probably repairable. That's one alternative. But eventually it's better to wipe out and start over.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer <--click me

DELL has a restore system built into the operating system. That might work. I've not tried it. I usually start over with a fresh install of everything.

The DELL OEM op sys install requires an install of the op sys using the disks from DELL. That's if you are going to use the existing product key for the op sys. They should send a set of install/restore disks for a small charge, if you didn't get them with the computer. Call or online chat DELL support and see what happens.

Regular MS OEM XP installs won't work on the systems from major manufacturers. They buy in bulk, and do their own thing. That's if you want to use your existing product key that came with the computer. If you have a new op sys with new product key, there's no problem with that.

Back up your files before you try anything.

be aware that sometimes the programs for retrieving the product keys are goofy, and give the same product key number for all computers, and all types of op sys. Don't know why, but it's worth checking with more than one of the programs to see what you get for results.

i tried to install avast but it wontget online when, mcfee went bonkers it put up some firewall. the computer is online just cant get it to do anything online. so i cant get the avast installed

hmmm, that sounds like it's infected. I've seen the viruses block attempts to go to anti-virus websites and download and install the software. Kinda humorous when that happens.

Boot in safe mode with networking and see if the browser will go to the website and download and install the software. Otherwise download it from another computer and use a thumb drive or CD etc to install it.

Download and install and scan with malwarebytes and superantispyware.