Once again the TSA swings too far

Likwid

I think you're making too many assumptions. You are assuming that the terrorist dickweed can crash a jetliner at will WITHOUT getting to the cockpit. One of the only sane, logical changes post-9/11 was to reinforce the shit out of the cockpit door, and put procedures in place where anytime that door would be opened (pilots going to the toilet, etc) there are obstacles in place that would allow time for the door to be closed quickly. In short, the easiest way to get to the cockpit would be to start taking hostages using deadly force. The passengers, knowing that they are going to die anyway, will quickly take down that threat (see personal injury vs. complete annihilation argument above).

So where would the entrance of a firearm play into the passenger's favor? Assume that there are multiple dickweeds, one of them being behind the armed passenger. Now the terrorist has a firearm, and the entire balance of power changes drastically.

well, as that numb nuts terrorist showed everyone, you CAN potentially take down a jetliner without getting to the cockpit... he only failed because he sucks at following instructions and/or got his explosives from china. passengers armed with weapons of any kind or not, he was about to pwn the plane without anyone really taking action until his bomb fizzled and people knew what he was trying to do. if his equipment worked, the planed would've blowed up like a boss, and everyone would've died except bruce willis. the only way that particular would-be tragedy could've been prevented is if airport securities around the world wasn't completely full of fail. but they are, and can't even do ctrl-f on a fucking list of names. fuck them for putting us at risk.

that said, the hypothetical that an attacked could be behind an armed passenger and now has the gun and was all like "wut nao, bi0tch?" is easily countered by any hypothetical where the armed passenger straight up murdered the terrorist like a boss.

what I DON'T like about any old eligible citizen/resident of the US carrying loaded weapons onto a domestic flight is that some people are just plain retarded, and ruin it for the rest of us. I've spent quite a chunk of time on reading up concealed carry forums and gun forums, and just plain talking with people with guns... and I increasingly don't like the idea of letting some of these psychos carry anything sharper than their intellect on a moving plane full of meat.

however, if these assholes like the TSA and their international counter part aren't going to do their jobs, and there isn't a hidden, well armed, well trained counter terrorist expert on every flight that I'm going to be on, then I should be allowed to protect myself from these psychos and terrorists.

i have no problem with rushing a couple terrorists or one crazy fat temper tantrumming conservative with about a dozen of my fellow air travelers to prevent death for everyone else on the plane, but I'd rather be able to do it with as few losses as possible, including myself... perhaps a gun or edged tool or expandable baton would help this. perhaps it won't, but at least I'm given the opportunity to defend myself more effectively than throwing myself as a substantial meat shield at the aggressor so everyone else can take him down.

an alternative i would consider is if during an attack, stewardesses or pilots are required to throw themselves at the attacker as a meat shield in our stead so that the rest of us paying passengers can more safely take the attacker out.

also, none of these things are concerns to me since i am a motherfucking ninja, but i'm sympathetic to the plight of the rest of you puny defenseless mortals.

Edited by jbot

Two flights tonight, and only one mention of "don't have anything on your lap or on the floor in front of you". And everyone ignored that. Domestic flights... no change...

Security screening was standard.

oh, and the stupid Delta "roasted" peanuts were blanched and stale. I don't know why I bother. Wait, I didn't ask for them, they just showed up on the tray. Argh...

Two flights tonight, and only one mention of "don't have anything on your lap or on the floor in front of you". And everyone ignored that. Domestic flights... no change...

Security screening was standard.

oh, and the stupid Delta "roasted" peanuts were blanched and stale. I don't know why I bother. Wait, I didn't ask for them, they just showed up on the tray. Argh...

WOAH.... glad you made it alive... those blankets and tray tables are deadly.

btw, I'd say the odds of the plane crashing in an ordinary fashion, is greater than a terrorist on board. So by the standards applied here, I suppose you'all want to be the pilot too.

I know where the electrical harness, hydraulic lines, and fuel tanks are located on an aircraft. I still wouldn't want to try firing a weapon, unless the other guy had one and was doing the same. That won't be happening anymore. Over powering an assailant is fine, and works well in a crowded space like the cabin of an aircraft. Works better if you're the dude with handcuffs.

I talked with an airport official for a while before I left. He had something happen on a flight he was on. He was told that if he had reacted he probably would have been arrested. It was only a guy in total panic trying to flee the aircraft before it departed.

The task is correctly identifying a threat. Flight crews are capable of dealing with it, and really don't want help. If it gets out of control, they will take the help, but if they say go back and sit down, you better do it. imho