Probably the coolest painting I've ever seen....

Fonzie

I'm a Christian whose also a FIRM believer in the separation of church and state....

So, I'm not as crazy about the idea of it, but this guy's awesome for the pure masterful execution of something he really believes in. I can at the very least appreciate the artistry that went into that painting!

I'm a Christian whose also a FIRM believer in the separation of church and state....

So, I'm not as crazy about the idea of it, but this guy's awesome for the pure masterful execution of something he really believes in. I can at the very least appreciate the artistry that went into that painting!

How does this go against separation of church and state?

Do you even have any idea what that means?

Sure did.

Tell me what this painting has to do with the separation of church and state.

You apparently are making the assumption that Jayson was saying this painting does instead of him just responding to the overall theme of the painting the painters comment in the video.

You apparently are making the assumption that Jayson was saying this painting does instead of him just responding to the overall theme of the painting the painters comment in the video.

No, you're the one with the assumption.

I asked a question. Maybe you'd care to answer it? My guess is you won't because the answer doesnt match your opinion.

Maybe you could try another smart-assed retort?

No, you're the one with the assumption.

I asked a question. Maybe you'd care to answer it? My guess is you won't because the answer doesnt match your opinion.

Maybe you could try another smart-assed retort?

Why ask a question no one alluded to? Just trying to stir the shit? Why would anyone answer your question that makes no sense in the given context?

Jayson seemed to commenting on the painters own comments and the theme of the painting. I'm not sure where you pulled the painting violating separation from.

I don't think the painting violates any separation and it can't. You apparently have no idea what my opinion is.

Why ask a question no one alluded to? Just trying to stir the shit? Why would anyone answer your question that makes no sense in the given context?

Why do you feel the need to answer a question that wasn't asked of you?

At any rate, lets take a look at what Jayson said:

So, I'm not as crazy about the idea of it

So, Jayson is a Christian. He believes in the separation of Church and State. Because of this, he's not crazy about the painting.

That would indicate to me that he believes the painting violates this in some manner. Obviously, you have a different opinion of what his statement says.

Jayson seemed to commenting on the painters own comments and the theme of the painting. I'm not sure where you pulled the painting violating separation from.

There you go with your assumptions again. I think I've noticed a pattern here.

I don't think the painting violates any separation and it can't. You apparently have no idea what my opinion is.

Of course I don't have any idea what your opinion is. You, on the other hand, seem to know what EVERYONE is thinking :rolleyes:

Why do you feel the need to answer a question that wasn't asked of you?

Why do you feel the need to ask stupid questions?

At any rate, lets take a look at what Jayson said:

So, Jayson is a Christian. He believes in the separation of Church and State. Because of this, he's not crazy about the painting.

That would indicate to me that he believes the painting violates this in some manner. Obviously, you have a different opinion of what his statement says.

No it indicates he doesn't agree with the theme of the painting and possibly the comments by the painter in the video. It makes no sense to assume he thinks the painting violates separation.

There you go with your assumptions again. I think I've noticed a pattern here.

Of course I don't have any idea what your opinion is. You, on the other hand, seem to know what EVERYONE is thinking :rolleyes:

I'm not the one who made an illogical assumption about Jayson's post. Apparently it's not me who thinks they know what someone's real opinion is.

The founding fathers were all about preventing the government from telling you how to worship. They had already been under that thumb. However, they also were all about pouring their Christian principals into the government as evidenced by the many references in our documents and inscribed buildings. "Separation of church and state" is simply a phrase from a court ruling not from any founding document.

Why do you feel the need to ask stupid questions?

If you think its a stupid question, move on. I didnt ask YOU anyway.

No it indicates he doesn't agree with the theme of the painting and possibly the comments by the painter in the video. It makes no sense to assume he thinks the painting violates separation.

There you go, being someone else's mouthpiece again. So, let me see if I have this right...

YOUR assumption of what he is thinking trumps my QUESTION regarding his statement?

I'm not the one who made an illogical assumption about Jayson's post. Apparently it's not me who thinks they know what someone's real opinion is.

See, there you go assuming something again. You think you know what I'm thinking, as well as what Jayson was thinking.

Care to take a stab at what I'm thinking right now?

If you think its a stupid question, move on. I didnt ask YOU anyway.

because you're always so amusing.

There you go, being someone else's mouthpiece again. So, let me see if I have this right...

YOUR assumption of what he is thinking trumps my QUESTION regarding his statement?

Nope, not all assumptions are equal. Let's see which makes more sense:

'I'm a Christian and even I don't agree with the painting's theme.'

or

'I'm a Christian and even I think this painting violates separation.'

See, there you go assuming something again. You think you know what I'm thinking, as well as what Jayson was thinking.

I'm assuming Jayson's smarter than you apparently think he is.

Care to take a stab at what I'm thinking right now?

That you're a little too easy to fuck with.

WHOA WHOA WHOA guys!

Jeez, I go to bed, wake up and there's a holy war going on in the thread....

To answer Todd's question:

I took the painter's intention to be to remind the viewer of Christian influences on the US and that he believes that those "Christian Beliefs" which founded are country have been lost and need to be freshened up again. I guess that's just my interpretation, but it's nothing for you two to go at it about.

We're all entitled to our opinions so lets all except they're different and enjoy this piece of art.

WHOA WHOA WHOA guys!

Jeez, I go to bed, wake up and there's a holy war going on in the thread....

To answer Todd's question:

I took the painter's intention to be to remind the viewer of Christian influences on the US and that he believes that those "Christian Beliefs" which founded are country have been lost and need to be freshened up again. I guess that's just my interpretation, but it's nothing for you two to go at it about.

We're all entitled to our opinions so lets all except they're different and enjoy this piece of art.

;) I just thought it'd be fun to mess with Todd since I thought the question to be a tad silly and had nothing better to do.

The painter does great work though even for an LDS nut case. :D

;) I just thought it'd be fun to mess with Todd since I thought the question to be a tad silly and had nothing better to do.

The painter does great work though even for an LDS nut case. :D

Well I appreciate it greatly, I just hate to see two peoples goin at it over me for no apparent reason.

It's all good now though, just BOTH OF YOU.... stay on your respective sides of the room haha.

Since the painting was done by an individual with no ties to the government - not an employee thereof, and the painter received no state or federal grants for his work, I don't see how it could violate the first amendment.

It seems to me that he's actually expressing his first amendment rights to free speech (speaking through his painting, as it were).

Although the idea of Jesus Christ holding the Constitution might be repugnant to some, it is still the painter's right (some might say God given right, but I'm not going there) to express himself. Had he created a painting showing slavery in the United States in modern times, which would (or should) be at least equally repugnant, he would still have been within his rights to do so.

What if he had depicted Jesus as a black man (or as a woman, or of Asian descent)? Would that change anyone's opinion?

And where did the LDS (Mormon) reference come from, and what's it got to do with the discussion? He lives in Utah, has 8 children, and graduated from B.Y.U., but I could not find any 'official' reference to his religion. He probably is, but so what?

My personal opinion - it's an OK piece of art. I would not buy it, not because of the subject, but because of the execution, the painter's style. A lot of people like that "painter of light" guy, Thomas Kinkade, but not me. Do both of them have some talent? Yes. Would I be surprised to see their works at a Holiday Inn Starving Artist sale? No. Again, just my opinion, and everyone knows what opinions are like, right?

And where did the LDS (Mormon) reference come from, and what's it got to do with the discussion? He lives in Utah, has 8 children, and graduated from B.Y.U., but I could not find any 'official' reference to his religion. He probably is, but so what?

Because I knew who the painter was well before this painting was made that's how I know. It was just a little poke, you'll get over it.

Because I knew who the painter was well before this painting was made that's how I know. It was just a little poke, you'll get over it.

There's absolutely nothing to "get over", I was simply wondering why you mentioned his religion and how it could possibly relate to the topic. Guess it was just an attempt to stir stuff up and not to actually be of any benefit. Gee, I've never seen that in ANY thread at ORdn before this one!:eek::D

I'm not Mormon/LDS myself (not that there's anything wrong with that)...:D I'm related to a Mormon by marriage, unfortunately. Unfortunate = being related to this jag-off, not being married....!

There's absolutely nothing to "get over", I was simply wondering why you mentioned his religion and how it could possibly relate to the topic. Guess it was just an attempt to stir stuff up and not to actually be of any benefit. Gee, I've never seen that in ANY thread at ORdn before this one!:eek::D

I'm not Mormon/LDS myself (not that there's anything wrong with that)...:D I'm related to a Mormon by marriage, unfortunately. Unfortunate = being related to this jag-off, not being married....!

There's nothing wrong with it just poking a bit. I would never say anything just to stir the pot though. :D

Wow. This thread got ganglionic in a hurry. Nothing like a pissing contest to start the day with.

Sorry I got impatient waiting for the roll off to be delivered.

I wondered how this thread hit 2 pages already.... "Didn't realize we had so many art afficianados on here" I says to myself

Then I open it up & see "old" Todd & Fusion are back, & goin' at it with each other

Good times.... Good times lol.gif