Kel-Tec SU-16A Sub-16???

Casper

I fired one earlier this year that an Uncle had picked up.

It did what it is supposed to...But it felt 'junky'...Cheap and plastic feeling, like a toy. The forend/"bipod" piece has no real stability, and the spare magazine kept falling out of the stock. I don't think he owned it for a full week.

Walther may know the answer to this one. Will this count as a long gun or a hand gun when folded up?

I'm thinking carrying this folded up while camping (if loaded) could potentially violate CCW (regardless of if you have a license)... just something to put out there. I could easily foresee someone throwing this (with a loaded mag stored) into the camping bag and then getting busted for carrying a weapon concealed since it may be classified as a rifle instead of a handgun.

Walther may know the answer to this one. Will this count as a long gun or a hand gun when folded up?

I'm thinking carrying this folded up while camping (if loaded) could potentially violate CCW (regardless of if you have a license)... just something to put out there. I could easily foresee someone throwing this (with a loaded mag stored) into the camping bag and then getting busted for carrying a weapon concealed since it may be classified as a rifle instead of a handgun.

geez no, there isn't a grip when it's folded, and the trigger is backwards... lol

Not even sure it could be fired that way. Nor would I want to.

I'm sure it obviously disables the trigger group when folded.

But as usual, a loaded magazine is the same as a loaded firearm.

You can still get in trouble if you really wanted to.

edit: actually, it looks like the type of rifle that when loaded and folded,

it would accidentally fire if knocked around or dropped on it's back end.

Edited by ReconRat

:givemebeer:

In all cerealness looks like a good piece, i doubt gump has ever looked thru the sites so how would he know? :dunno:

I don't know if they work good but the front one looks wierd.

btw, if you smack the butt of any rifle on the ground, it will often fire. Either from bouncing the firing pin, and/or slamming the bolt into battery. Especially old M16s or AK47s. Just another useless factoid...

And the traditional shotgun story... a friend crossed a fence with a loaded semi-auto shotgun, snagged the trigger, fired the shotgun, it shot out from under his arm, and up into the air. Where it turned and fell on it's butt and fired again.

edit: Flounder is right, I should not have said "often fire". Fear mongering on my part. An old or junky rifle "might" fire.

Edited by ReconRat
duh me

btw, if you smack the butt of any rifle on the ground, it will often fire.

I call BS on this.. If your rifle is doing this then you have a problem with it. Granted Im not talking about older rifles but any current day rifle, this should not happen. Ive pulled my barrel and action out of my stock to lighten my trigger and once I had it adjusted, I smacked the shit out of it on the floor with no issues. You can adjust them improperly light that they will fire just when closing the bolt. (Ask me how I know :) ) Ive also seen triggers set at 4 ounces that have zero problems when going through a safety check.

This is supposedly a very accurate and solid little camping/budget carbine.

It takes STANAG magazines, including the 100-round Beta-Cs, and shows reasonable accuracy downrange... can't really argue with the price for a hi-cap .223 these days.

The SU-16C is the one to get, though. It can be fired with the stock folded and has all around better ergonomics and aesthetics. The whole "holds an extra magazine" things is sorta cheesy, especially if it can't hang onto them like another poster said previously.

SU-16C.jpg

POS, POS, POS !!!!!!!

And seriously WTF do you need a Beta mag for when going "camping" as Casper put it. Do you want the folder because your trying to hide the POS inside your pack or what? Do you have any idea how easy it it to strap a regular 16" AR to the side of a camping pack because thats what most people do.If you do, then why the hell are you still considering this thing.. I mean seriously. There is so much nonsense in here its a joke.

Hell, do I need to go home and take pics to show someone the relative size of an AR strapped to a camping pack so you get the point. Youre not going to pack a rifle inside your pack anyway so why the hell would you want this POS.