Jalopnik: GM Looks To Offer "Build Your Own Engine" Program For Corvette ZR1

Disclaimer

I'm not going to get into a pissing match, as I was just generalizing.I never said anything about strengthening the bottom end. I know that LSx engines are pretty tough in general. Are you telling me that are no improvements to be made to that engine?

essentially, No. It's a bullet proof engine from start to finish. It's passed GM durability testing at the 1000 hp mark. That can be had with different pulleys and tunes/fuels. The heads are sick. They flow obscene amounts of air, have the best combustion chambers ever produced, and a cam made for boost. So no, there really ISNT much that can be done to it.

essentially, No. It's a bullet proof engine from start to finish. It's passed GM durability testing at the 1000 hp mark. That can be had with different pulleys and tunes/fuels. The heads are sick. They flow obscene amounts of air, have the best combustion chambers ever produced, and a cam made for boost. So no, there really ISNT much that can be done to it.

That's what happens when you've been perfecting the design since the 1950s.*

*Ok, technically the LSx line is it's own development branch of GM powertrain, but roots go back to the original 350s.

Gotcha. I haven't done much performance work for quite a while now, other than Honda stuff for work FML...

I don't know why, but I'm such an old school, N/A guy. I love to pull as much out of a N/A engine as possible! In the end though, boost is not much more that artificial displacement, so to speak, so it's just a mental block.

One of my favorite projects that I've done was a 89 Buick LeSabre T-type that we did the L67 swap on. 3.8 SC in that car is pretty fun in stock form! I'm very happy with how that one turned out. I used OE type mounts, instead of solid mounts that I've seen on some hack jobs of that swap. I used the Grand prix fuse and relay box, and pretty much tried to keep everything as OE looking as possible. That's how I like to do swaps, make it look like it's supposed to be there. Current project is a S-10 V8. It's the first I've done, and it's turning out nicely. If it were my truck, it would be getting EFI though.

/sidetrack

That's what happens when you've been perfecting the design since the 1950s.*

*Ok, technically the LSx line is it's own development branch of GM powertrain, but roots go back to the original 350s.

The thing about that is, even though it's technically it's own branch of development, it's impossible to overlook what was learned (strengths and shortfalls) from what I think is the most successful engine design so far. I don't think any sane person can call the original small block Chevy a failure. Almost 50 years of production use! From what I can tell, 2002 was the last year for the 350 (and 305) in dmoestic production, in the Express vans.