SC politician's welfare comments called `immoral'

TwiztedRabbit

making those on the system do work for the public is a great idea.

"On the system? Ok' date=' this freeway needs trash cleaned out of the median. Get this stretch spic and span and I'll be here on Friday with your check."[/quote']

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_Conservation_Corps#The_Civilian_Conservation_Corps_Legacy

Are you a Roosevelt liberal now too? Damn, you really are trying to join our side.

Nooooo, we need sane, reasonable conservative wackos to stay conservative so we have someone to debate! You can't abandon conservatism to the trolls and (real) wackos! GTFO my liberalism!!! :p

Goofiness aside, I'm totally down with the policy suggestion from your quote.

Edited by Aerik

Bring back 3C camps or some variation, build some roads, you need assistance, you have to work a government sponsored job at the least and you get a deadline for being on the welfare roll. The other thing is the idea of entitlement. Since when is it the government's job to coddle you?

Bring back 3C camps or some variation, build some roads, you need assistance, you have to work a government sponsored job at the least and you get a deadline for being on the welfare roll. The other thing is the idea of entitlement. Since when is it the government's job to coddle you?

I agree that it's not the government's job to coddle people. That said, however, I do believe we have a right to expect our government to perform functions which benefit the country as a whole. I think having some form of system in which we take people at the lowest end of our economic scale (for whatever reason) and help them in the short term while working to set them up to be productive on their own in the long term is generally a good thing.

Certainly, it's not an easy thing to do right, but I think the possible benefits (and the drawbacks of having no such 'safety net') do justify the effort and expenditure required to work toward creating such a system. Being difficult or imperfect doesn't mean an idea is fundamentally worthless; it just means that there's room for further consideration, restructuring, and improvement.

Making people (lacking some damned good medical excuse) work to earn that support is acceptable, I think, although we should also include some sort of job-training in the deal as well. Picking up trash on the freeway for cash short-term is fine, but it's not likely to send someone off with a highly-marketable skill afterward. Far better, I think, to make them work part of the week and attend some sort of vocational classes for the rest of the week.

And give them birth control, because most people (not just those on welfare) really should quit breeding.