PC help / info

mrbret

Hello everyone, I'm needing help or info about desktop PC speed.

My PC is running mostly ok, my issue is when connected to the web (SBS/Yahoo DSL and using Firefox). Pulling up web pages is fine but if I want to do something like play an online game, view an item on Iron Pony etc it takes forever to download that part of the page. It does not seem to be the connection as it goes from site to site as normal.

Any ideas?

Get the "fasterfox" extension for one thing.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1269

Increase your web cache size to 200 meg.

DSL is slow compared to cable, so you might want to consider this as a limiting aspect of your problem as well.

But check where the problem is using these tools

http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools.html

Happy hunting!

Edited by Strictly Street

Bret; press alt/control/delete and see what's running. If you have an HP or some computer with automatic updates, turn that off. If you have Anti-spy or or virus software, turn down your settings. You also may have a bug. I always back up everything and wipe the drive a couple of times a year. If you've got a program running and you can't end task it, go in safe mode and change the name of the file - then it can't find it to open it. GL

Get the "fasterfox" extension for one thing.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1269

This link says its for older versions of Firefox

Increase your web cache size to 200 meg.

How?

DSL is slow compared to cable, so you might want to consider this as a limiting aspect of your problem as well.

But check where the problem is using these tools

http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools.html

Trying this now

Happy hunting!

Cool

download ccleaner: www.ccleaner.com run the cleaner with all the options selected, run the registry cleaner, use the tools section to see what loads at start up and delete anything that doesnt have something to do with antivirus stuff. saves computer's lives.

out of curiousity, how many processes does it say are running when you CTRL+ALT+DEL the compy?

download ccleaner: www.ccleaner.com run the cleaner with all the options selected, run the registry cleaner, use the tools section to see what loads at start up and delete anything that doesnt have something to do with antivirus stuff. saves computer's lives.

out of curiousity, how many processes does it say are running when you CTRL+ALT+DEL the compy?

It says i'm running 78 precceses, seems like a lot to me.

If that was the issue though wouldn't everything run slow?

78!? what OS? XP/Vista/7?

Haha! I just went to taskman and I have 110 processes running! :lol:

This is on my laptop, and it run surprisingly well!

Have you reset your unplugged your router lately? I usually power down my network devices once a week. And every so often I'll factory reset the routers and re-upload the network configs.

I never think to do this. I need to reboot my router.

78!? what OS? XP/Vista/7?
Have you reset your unplugged your router lately? I usually power down my network devices once a week. And every so often I'll factory reset the routers and re-upload the network configs.

Vista and Not using a router

Pulling up web pages is fine but if I want to do something like play an online game, view an item on Iron Pony etc it takes forever to download that part of the page. It does not seem to be the connection as it goes from site to site as normal. Any ideas?

I don't know anything about games, but I've never seen any Iron Pony page open fast.

It says i'm running 78 precceses, seems like a lot to me.

If that was the issue though wouldn't everything run slow?

Umm, no. It all depends on what those processes are.

78 is a bit high though.

35-40 is a very lean machine.

40-50 is most carefully maintained machines.

50-60 Most peoples PC's

70 and up, you should take a look at your installed programs that auto load on boot and get rid of a few. For that matter you should get rid of programs that you can't remember using in the last six months or so. Speeds up your boot time as well!

So your problem seems to be related to the browser - firefox and what it pulls up on pages. Make sure you have the latest versions of your add ons such as flash, shockwave ect.

Get the latest version of firefox - came out today.

Get Suns version of Java, the latest version and install it..

Clean out your old programs, reboot and see what you have then.