Ammo Hunt Thread

Gump

Actually that was the wrong link. Although the shell is still steel, it's laquered. Wish I could find some more Barnaul ammo. It was From Russia with love. 62-gr. .223 Remington® HP by Barnaul. Zinc-plated steel casing, Berdan-primed, non-reloadable and non-corrosive boattail rounds. Worked fine in the Stag. About 3 dead rounds.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/brown-bear-223-remington-62-grain-sp-ammo-500-rds.aspx?a=472415

This is what I had that worked fine.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=506970

Edited by Gump

I've seen and heard of too many problems with the steel cased ammo.

Wide variations in case size, chamber carrying lacquer residue causing cases to get stuck. Stuck cases getting the rim pulled of by the extractor, extractors damaged, etc.

Personally, I wont shoot it. I'd rather spend the extra $80.00 to $100.00 on decent ammo for my AR. If cost is that big of a deal, buy a .22 LR conversion kit.

I've seen and heard of too many problems with the steel cased ammo.

Wide variations in case size, chamber carrying lacquer residue causing cases to get stuck. Stuck cases getting the rim pulled of by the extractor, extractors damaged, etc.

Personally, I wont shoot it. I'd rather spend the extra $80.00 to $100.00 on decent ammo for my AR. If cost is that big of a deal, buy a .22 LR conversion kit.

maybe it depends on the weapon, but i fired thousands of rounds of wolf ammo (7.62x39) through my AK without any problems whatsoever

maybe it depends on the weapon, but i fired thousands of rounds of wolf ammo (7.62x39) through my AK without any problems whatsoever

Uhhhh...hellooooooooo, its an AK.

My experience has been that most AK's are not built as "tight" as a quality AR.

The problems with the steel cased ammo comes from case sizes being too small (and not expanding like a brass case) allowing lacquer and powder residue to build up in the chamber. You shoot enough dirty, undersized, steel cased ammo the chamber gets smaller. Shoot a steel cased round that's on the large size (or brass cased that will expand) and thats when you have the problems.

For me saving $0.08 - $0.10 per round isn't worth the potential issues.

marks outdoors has fed xm193 for $149 per 500rds

1-877-979-6275

Thanks.

I just like to shoot a lot and then clean the gun. That's what it was built for.

I don't understand how a gun used in the swamps of Vietnam could be picky about ammo.

Edited by Gump

Thanks.

I just like to shoot a lot and then clean the gun. That's what it was built for.

I don't understand how a gun used in the swamps of Vietnam could be picky about ammo.

When the first M-16's were dumped in Vietnam, they were a jamming nightmare. They were marketed as a space aged gun that didn't have to be cleaned. They were wrong... and quickly issued cleaning kits and instructions on how to do it. But... In the middle of a jungle war (or desert war might I add) removing small parts from a rifle to clean them is a real pain in the ass. The AR has come miles over it's 4+ generations... but it is still not the greatest slog thorugh the mud gun... but if you take care of it it can work adequately. The modern A2, and A3's don't seem to be nearly as picky about ammo as the A1's... but some are. It all depends who made the parts. But, all that said... I have fired a LOT of steel case ammo in my day, and never had a problem with it.

When the first M-16's were dumped in Vietnam, they were a jamming nightmare. They were marketed as a space aged gun that didn't have to be cleaned. They were wrong... and quickly issued cleaning kits and instructions on how to do it. But... In the middle of a jungle war (or desert war might I add) removing small parts from a rifle to clean them is a real pain in the ass. The AR has come miles over it's 4+ generations... but it is still not the greatest slog thorugh the mud gun... but if you take care of it it can work adequately. The modern A2, and A3's don't seem to be nearly as picky about ammo as the A1's... but some are. It all depends who made the parts. But, all that said... I have fired a LOT of steel case ammo in my day, and never had a problem with it.

I have only had maybe a handful of jams with an M16A2/M16A4, even in the desert. Cleaning was nearly a daily thing though, better to be too clean than to be slightly dirty and jam. Covers were also placed in the magazine well. The only jams I really ever had were when using blanks for combat maneuvers.

If you're comfortable ordering on-line, Cabela's has some decent deals. The .380 Magtech ends up being around $19.00/box of 50. If you can shoot steel, 9mm is about $12.00/box of 50. Hit them at the right time and shipping can be free.

I was at Cabela's yesterday in WV they had .380 in stock. First time i've seen it for a long time. That $12 9mm they had was some Russian Steel stuff and since someone scared me about steel for a pistol i went Brass.

Their prices suck. I bought a box of 100 Winchester 9mm for $26.99 Wal-mart in Stuebenville later had the same thing for $20

On-line must be better.

Edited by Gump

I have only had maybe a handful of jams with an M16A2/M16A4, even in the desert. Cleaning was nearly a daily thing though, better to be too clean than to be slightly dirty and jam. Covers were also placed in the magazine well. The only jams I really ever had were when using blanks for combat maneuvers.

What brand of ammo is the military using these days?

I was at Cabela's yesterday in WV they had .380 in stock. First time i've seen it for a long time. That $12 9mm they had was some Russian Steel stuff and since someone scared me about steel for a pistol i went Brass.

Their prices suck. I bought a box of 100 Winchester 9mm for $26.99 Wal-mart in Stuebenville later had the same thing for $20

On-line must be better.

No question, their general prices suck. But the clearance prices aren't that bad. I generally watch the Vance's fliers and stock up when the prices are right. I used to shoot steel out of the AK, but that was an AK. I might buy some steel for my Armageddon stock-pile. But it's useless at NASR.