bike running rough after 10 mins

wnaplay

I have a 98 cbr 900rr bike and it recently started running rough about 1/2 way through my 20 min ride to work. It has done this several times now. I replaced the plugs last night hoping to fix the problem, but it did it again this morning and on the way home. It starts out just fine, however around 10mins of riding, it feels short on power, sputtering through the exhaust and just running rough. It definately sounds rough however it does feel like it still has decent power when I hit it. Any suggestions? More history, I bought the bike this year wrecked. Repaired it and rode it without any issue until now.

The carbs should be disassembled to clean, you just don't have to split the whole rack into individual carbs. It would be a good idea to get a rebuild kit for the carbs unless you know for sure this has been done recently.

Something else to chew on... What did the plugs look like? As your engine warms to operating temps it requires a leaner fuel mixture than when cold. If your carbs are allowing too much fuel into the engine, it would run worse as it warmed up, it could be a jetting issue. If it was riding fine until now you may have a jet that has fallen out allowing too much fuel. Carbs that need cleaned from sittng around too long, usually, have a problem from the get go & run better (if at all) as the engine warms. Either way, sounds like the carbs need to come out.

Again these are just bits of info for you to consider. There is much more to consider to give you a complete diag.

Hope this helps!

how long does a bike have to sit before the carbs need to be cleaned?

as winter approaches, I'm wondering if this is something i'll have to do every spring...

I do run the bike at least once a month in the winter, but what's a "long" time? 3 weeks, 3 months?

as winter approaches, I'm wondering if this is something i'll have to do every spring...

I do run the bike at least once a month in the winter, but what's a "long" time? 3 weeks, 3 months?

I've been told that once a bike is stored for the winter not to start it until spring rolls around. I guess everyone has their own winter storage techniques though.

You'll probably get a dozen different opinions on this, but gas can go South fairly quick (it doesn't have a real long shelf life). Exactly how long depends on a lot of variables. ...and how long it takes before it gums up your carbs is also kinda tough to say. You can avoid it though (or at least help fight against it). If your bike sits for more than a couple weeks during the Winter, use something like Stabil gas treatment. It's fairly cheap, and it's easy to use.

stabil.jpg

I'll usually start putting this in my bikes late in the Fall riding season. Rarely will one of my bike sit for more than a couple weeks, but occasionally through the Winter you have no choice but to park them. It's good to already have it in there and have been running through the carbs (not just treating the gas in the tank). It's not the perfect fix, but if you don't totally Winterize your bike, it helps.

Guy has an issue with his carbs - most likely need a complete cleaning. So, with that said, get them cleaned. You can keep teh gas in the tank over winter - it'll be just fine. Just drain it in Spring and put in a fresh tank of fuel and start her up.

No need for additives. Example, most racers put their bikes up in mid to late October. We usually don't get them out until April. So, we store them a LOT longer than a street guy does. All I have EVER done is drain the carbs, clean out the bowls, kept the fuel line disconnected and left the old fuel in the tank (Pump gas - remove race gas as it can hurt fuel pumps on FI bikes...). Once Spring came along, drained the tank, hooked up the fuel line and added fresh gas. Started right up.

Stabil is great for boats and cars. No need for motorcycles. Unless you typically do not EVER maintain your bike by removing the float bowls. It's extra work, but it helps in the long run...

Guy has an issue with his carbs - most likely need a complete cleaning. So, with that said, get them cleaned. You can keep teh gas in the tank over winter - it'll be just fine. Just drain it in Spring and put in a fresh tank of fuel and start her up.

No need for additives. Example, most racers put their bikes up in mid to late October. We usually don't get them out until April. So, we store them a LOT longer than a street guy does. All I have EVER done is drain the carbs, clean out the bowls, kept the fuel line disconnected and left the old fuel in the tank (Pump gas - remove race gas as it can hurt fuel pumps on FI bikes...). Once Spring came along, drained the tank, hooked up the fuel line and added fresh gas. Started right up.

Stabil is great for boats and cars. No need for motorcycles. Unless you typically do not EVER maintain your bike by removing the float bowls. It's extra work, but it helps in the long run...

He says he runs his bike at least once a month in the Winter. I guess he should drain his fuel tank once a month and fill it with fresh gas? For street guys who don't stop riding, that really doesn't work too well (if you park your race bike for 6 months out of the year, then that's a different story). Like I said.... It's not the perfect fix, but if you don't totally Winterize your bike, it helps. ...and like I said, a dozen different opinions.

He already knows that he needs to clean his carbs. He's asking if he's gonna hafta do this every Spring. I'm saying that he's not, if he takes the proper precautions.

He says he runs his bike at least once a month in the Winter. I guess he should drain his fuel tank once a month and fill it with fresh gas? For street guys who don't stop riding, that really doesn't work too well (if you park your race bike for 6 months out of the year, then that's a different story). Like I said.... It's not the perfect fix, but if you don't totally Winterize your bike, it helps. ...and like I said, a dozen different opinions.

He already knows that he needs to clean his carbs. He's asking if he's gonna hafta do this every Spring. I'm saying that he's not, if he takes the proper precautions.

You should (as stated by someone else) NEVER just start your bike up "just cause" in the winter once a month. It does nothing except DRAIN the battery. The bike needs to be under load and sustain a certain RPM to keep the battery up to spec. He doesn't ride in the winters.... Redkow97 stated HE rides his bike probably once a month.

Second, you (thread starter guy and winterizer guys) need to pull the battery. It should be placed in room temps and can actually be left over the winter as long as it had a full charge - no need for a Battery Tender, etc. However, having one is a God send when needed and doesn't hurt.

The race reference was mentioned to show an extreme. I've ridden a LOT of street and it is how I prepped all my street bikes. I know if you run your bike every 3 weeks, you really aren't in need to worry much. The fuel won't break down enough to be a concern (as long as you run good fuel) over that short period of time...

Yes, if you go out and ride, drain the tank and replace with fresh gas and do the same thing again if you ride in another month, etc. Gas is a cheap maintenance deal. Draining the float bowls is easy and will save you a bunch of headaches. I'd suggest this IF you put the bike up for over a month at a time... 2-3 weeks, you really don't need to worry...

Sta-Bil is great again for lawn mowers, boats, cars being stored for LONG periods of time. No need in your bike if you do a little maintenance.

If you're lazy, go for it. Pour it in, fire it up, run the bike around a little to get it in through the carbs, etc. and put it away. ONLY if you are storing it. If you are gonna ride every 3 weeks, don't waste your money. It will do nothing for you. Only for a long period of time and if you follow some tips, you can avoid using it, anyways.

However, in the Spring, you REALLY ought to drain the carbs and replace the fuel.