Military pay increase of 1.4% for 2011

robhawk

i have the utmost respect for those who serve our country, and there are certainly things that military personnel have a right to legitimately gripe about, but come on...

What did some of these people expect when they enlisted? I know there are some a-hole recruiters out there who will promise you the world, but if you've got half a brain, you research a 'job' before you accept it.

I have the same beef with teachers who bitch about not being paid highly enough. Ok, you're right - you don't make as much as you should; but don't pretend this was some earth-shattering discovery that blind-sided you 10 years into your teaching career. The fact is that it's common knowledge that teachers get paid dick.

if you hate the compensation so much, find another job.

i have the utmost respect for those who serve our country, and there are certainly things that military personnel have a right to legitimately gripe about, but come on...

What did some of these people expect when they enlisted? I know there are some a-hole recruiters out there who will promise you the world, but if you've got half a brain, you research a 'job' before you accept it.

I have the same beef with teachers who bitch about not being paid highly enough. Ok, you're right - you don't make as much as you should; but don't pretend this was some earth-shattering discovery that blind-sided you 10 years into your teaching career. The fact is that it's common knowledge that teachers get paid dick.

I dont think anybody here is bitching about it being an earthshattering event. Nothing cosmic, but folks bitch. We all have shit we need to bitch about.

unfortunately I cant find another job. meaning i dont have the option to get out.

Dont get me wrong. My payscale is pretty fat. Im not a huge bitcher. Its just nice those years I dont get raises that my pay atleast keeps up with inflation.

WOW! Can tell that you've never been in the military. NO other job can classify you as AWOL and throw you in jail because you are not at work. No other job puts you in a combat zone every 2 years for 6 months at a time... Keeping you away from your kids growing up and stressing the relationship between your spouse. Do you even know what the divorce rate is in the military as opposed to other jobs?

No, NONE of us had to get sworn in, but we did it so that we will continue to have freedom. The freedom that allows you to bitch and complain about how the enlisted troops make enough to get food stamps. Get your ass in the military and take a trip to Afghanistan... I bet your ass will be wanting a pay increase, especially if you have 4 more years left on your enlistment.

I better stop, before I get really mad. I hate when people think the military gets paid bank. In fact... we don't. Some do qualify for food stamps and other government assistance.

I don't understand why you're getting all huffy and puffy about it.

It's not like us 'civilians' don't appreciate sacrifice, but we've all made different sacrifices in order to pursue our little slice of the pie to contribute to the global society in our own way.

redkow97 is right - you made a choice to go into the military. If our freedom was really being threatened, you bet your ass I'd be right behind you in my fatigues and government issued assault rifle, but - we're not. Hence our all volunteer military.

You can bitch and moan all you want (just like everyone does about their chosen paths in life), but bottom line it was a CHOICE, and you reap the benefits and drawbacks of the choices you make. No one was stopping you from making a different choice.

It's not like us 'civilians' don't appreciate sacrifice, but we've all made different sacrifices in order to pursue our little slice of the pie to contribute to the global society in our own way.

Justin.... What sacrifices have you or I made that remotely compare with a servicemen putting his life on the line for the rest of us as a matter of daily activity?

I don't understand why you're getting all huffy and puffy about it.
Perhaps because he feels like a few are belittling the sacrifice he & others are currently making over there

Just what I said... we've made different sacrifices. I sacrificed 4 years of my life in engineering school in order to be able to help equip our troops with the tools they need to protect our freedom, as well as serve the private sector.

It's not the SAME sacrifice, but a sacrifice nonetheless. Like I said, we all contribute in our own ways. Not everyone is capable of being an engineer, not everyone is capable of serving in the military. What good is a military without people to make weapons for it? What good are weapons if you don't have soldiers to use them?

So, we pick and choose our paths in life. Some sacrificing more, but that's how life goes sometimes. I don't think anyone here is belittling their service. The point of this whole thread was a rant/rave on military pay. That is a KNOWN going in, plus many of us private sector slobs haven't been getting raises in the past two years (and many of us taking cuts). So, I don't really have a lot of sympathy for someone complaining about too small a raise, just like I don't expect a lot of sympathy for my pay cut. If you don't like where you're at, in your life, in your career, etc.... then change it. Once you've fulfilled your obligations, then leave for those greener pastures you've been longing for. You have the power.

So what you are telling me is that I can walk right into my supervisors office RIGHT NOW and tell him I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

Sacrafice? GTFO of here with that bullshit! You cannot compare anything other than being a fireman or police officer to the military. Engineer? Are you freaking kidding me? That's no sacrafice! If you want a real sacrafice as a civilian engineer, bring your happy ass over to Afghanistan and do some engineering work over there. I'd have a lot more respect for you then. Until then STFU!

So basiclly what you are saying is that our lives are not worth a high % raise, right?

I've decided that I'm going to try to not post in here. This is something that has hit a nerve and I don't want it getting out of hand.

That's fine, just realize you're never going to get the last word then as long as you keep responding.

So what you are telling me is that I can walk right into my supervisors office RIGHT NOW and tell him I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

You signed a CONTRACT to serve, which is why I said in my last post, that once your contract is up... you've fulfilled your obligations and can leave. What's so hard to understand? You have to honor your contract - one you CHOSE to enter into.

Sacrafice? GTFO of here with that bullshit! You cannot compare anything other than being a fireman or police officer to the military. Engineer? Are you freaking kidding me? That's no sacrafice! If you want a real sacrafice as a civilian engineer, bring your happy ass over to Afghanistan and do some engineering work over there. I'd have a lot more respect for you then. Until then STFU!

:rolleyes: Really? So you're better than everyone else (except other military)? Why again? Because your perception of your sacrifice is greater than everyone elses? Once again, it's a different type of sacrifice. I sacrificed time in my life to learn electromagnetic field theory, calculus, and differential equations... you chose a different path. I don't judge you for that, but you're judging me. That doesn't make sense.

So basiclly what you are saying is that our lives are not worth a high % raise, right?
No, I'm just saying that I don't have much sympathy that it's a LOWER raise, when most of us have gotten zero raises or taken cuts. That's just how it is given the current economic climate.

I could blame the past administration for it's lack of fiscal responsibility, but I won't turn it into that - yet.

It's Bush's fault!

Dude, you have to understand that Jrmi is an argumentative douchebag of the highest order. He most likely has no real friends in real life so he spends his days on OR trying to start stupid arguments with anyone who will listen so he can flex what he perceives as his superior intellect not knowing that most people on the site think he is a tool and laugh about him in private.

He is a nerdly dickbag for the sake of being a nerdly dickbag.

Need proof?

Jrmmiii.jpg

If we all do our part to quit feeding the troll he might go away.....but I doubt it. :roll:

Sorry your raise was spent buying golden parachutes for Wall St. execs after years of deregulation.

They're better than you, so they don't have to sacrifice their million dollar bonuses.

I hope to buddha youre not blaming Bush for the economic downturn. Clinton had just as much fault if not more.

I hope to buddha youre not blaming Bush for the economic downturn. Clinton had just as much fault if not more.

If you want to discuss, start another thread. :p

Quoted for lulz - sans mega pic :lol:

Dude, you have to understand that Jrmi is an argumentative douchebag of the highest order. He most likely has no real friends in real life so he spends his days on OR trying to start stupid arguments with anyone who will listen so he can flex what he perceives as his superior intellect not knowing that most people on the site think he is a tool and laugh about him in private.

He is a nerdly dickbag for the sake of being a nerdly dickbag.

Need proof?

If we all do our part to quit feeding the troll he might go away.....but I doubt it. :roll: