Finished my Commander last night

Todd#43

Finally found some time to make my new "stock" Colt the way it should have been from the factory.

Fitted bushing, full length guide rod, Ambi safety, fitted and tuned STI trigger, subtly de-horned the slide, new grips and got rid of that shiddy Series 80 firing pin block. Looks MUCH better IMHO.

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9869

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9868

Edited by Todd#43

Looks Nice...
Scweeet!

Thanks.

What kind of grips are those?

To tell you the truth, I don't remember who the manufacturer was. I know they were in a Brownell's baggie - might have been VZ, but I'm not sure.

They're just micarta with a "tactical" checkering on them.

Yes!!! I am a 1911 fan.............. a little late to the thread but.........

Thats a Sweet looking gun.......... never had a colt......... I would have thought you could get some real nice groups out of that thing.....

Cant believe there arent more 1911 fans on here.

Me, I R 1911 fan. And the Commander has a really nice balance in the hand.

Accuracy would improve with a barrel swap. But I don't see combat handguns as needing that. Competition handguns need that.

Yes!!! I am a 1911 fan.............. a little late to the thread but.........

Thats a Sweet looking gun.......... never had a colt......... I would have thought you could get some real nice groups out of that thing.....

Thanks. Groups are fine - I just expected them to be much better after fitting the bushing. Still, I can't complain - its a great shooter.

Todd I love 1911's but severly dislike colts after my experience with them. I have a Kimber Custom II w/5 inch barrel. I love it!!!

I've not had any issues with this one. I'm not sure what you had or what your issues were but a competent smith should have been able to rectify any issues.

FWIW, I know of more people that have had issues with Kimber's Swartz safety system than I know of people who have had issues with Colt's.

I've removed the series 80 shit out of this pistol and dont expect any issues.

Me, I R 1911 fan. And the Commander has a really nice balance in the hand.

Accuracy would improve with a barrel swap. But I don't see combat handguns as needing that. Competition handguns need that.

Usually you can tighten the groups up by getting the clearance on the bushing down to .0025" to .0030" all the way around, and I've done it with some success on 5" barrel 1911's. Didnt seem to make that much of a difference on the Commander though. Its still plenty accurate though, and nothing feels or shoots like a 1911.

Amazing that a pistol designed over 100 years ago still doesn't have any competition.

One of mine is completely shot out and needs work. Buffer and spring minimum. It shoots all over the place at 25 yards. Didn't used to do that. It's the one modified to feed semi-wadcutters. Just another thing on the list of things to do. Old Model 70.

One of mine is completely shot out and needs work. Buffer and spring minimum. It shoots all over the place at 25 yards. Didn't used to do that. It's the one modified to feed semi-wadcutters. Just another thing on the list of things to do. Old Model 70.

If its "shot out" check the slide to frame clearance as well as the bushing fit. More than likely your problem will be found there.