ATM technology....it's why ATMs send money so fast

justin0469

One of my classmates has this intelligent thought about ATM networks when asked about pros/cons and why they never lived up to its early expectations.

Now ATM's was designed to be extremely scalable. It can support link speeds of T1/E1 to OC-12 and higher. I guess that why it works fast when you go to different ATM machines and they send the money fast.

:nono:

One of my classmates has this intelligent thought about ATM networks when asked about pros/cons and why they never lived up to its early expectations.

:nono:

There is one machine, buried deep within Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, that has a OC-48 hooked up to it. Legend has it the instant you press the last button on your PIN number(!), it has already accessed your entire life history, and has the capability of dispensing your entire life savings. It is customary, once using the machine, to then put that money on 27 Black.

I seem to remember that the machines didn't run fast till there was a big charge for using the machines. My thought was that they simply disbursed cash, and covered errors with the big fees charged for using the fast machine. Ergo...

No' date=' I'd prefer they not say "[b']Automatic Teller Machine machine".

Kind of like saying, "VIN number".

Sam says the same thing about assless chaps all the time

Aren't all chaps assless.... Otherwise they're just pants

I seem to remember that the machines didn't run fast till there was a big charge for using the machines. My thought was that they simply disbursed cash, and covered errors with the big fees charged for using the fast machine. Ergo...

I think you completely missed the point of the original post Tom. ;)

ha i dont know how many ppl got it and how many ppl didnt. ATM, in the context of networking stands for, Asynchronous Transfer Mode. It has nothing to do with ATMs, Automated Teller Machines, necessarily, let alone being interchangeable terms. I thought it was funny that my classmate used Asynchronous Transfer Mode and Automated Teller Machines interchangeably.

ha i dont know how many ppl got it and how many ppl didnt. ATM, in the context of networking stands for, Asynchronous Transfer Mode. It has nothing to do with ATMs, Automated Teller Machines, necessarily, let alone being interchangeable terms. I thought it was funny that my classmate used Asynchronous Transfer Mode and Automated Teller Machines interchangeably.

So, What you are saying is there actually could be an "ATM Machine"??

:eek: :eek:

The truth about ATM machines.

ATM stands for "Automatically Transmit Money"

The different transport technologies are related to the language choice on the sign in screen when it asks you to choose a language.

So called T-1 lines are used to transmit Treasury bills or US banknotes from the bank to the ATM machine for easy withdrawal by customers.

So called E-1 lines are used to transmit European currency such as francs, pounds or deutschmarks from the bank to the ATM machine for easy withdrawal by customers.

OC-12 lines are used to transmit "Other Countries" currency such as yen, pesos or the like from the bank to the ATM machine for easy withdrawal by customers.

These high capacity lines are configured for the different sizes of the banknotes and exchanges rates from their respective countries.

This is why ATM machines are so fast.

Source: Al Gore, Inventing the internet - 2000

The truth about ATM machines.

ATM stands for "Automatically Transmit Money"

The different transport technologies are related to the language choice on the sign in screen when it asks you to choose a language.

So called T-1 lines are used to transmit Treasury bills or US banknotes from the bank to the ATM machine for easy withdrawal by customers.

So called E-1 lines are used to transmit European currency such as francs, pounds or deutschmarks from the bank to the ATM machine for easy withdrawal by customers.

OC-12 lines are used to transmit "Other Countries" currency such as yen, pesos or the like from the bank to the ATM machine for easy withdrawal by customers.

These high capacity lines are configured for the different sizes of the banknotes and exchanges rates from their respective countries.

This is why ATM machines are so fast.

Source: Al Gore, Inventing the internet - 2000

Based on some of the coinage they have in Australia, that's one phat pipe.

Had to throw it out there, I like me conspiracies...

Yeah, I get it now, and yes, I didn't read it as Asynchronous. Oops...

I remember tons of problems getting it to run right with frame based...