Valve adjustment cost?

Hondajt

I have a 2000 Honda VFR800 (V4) with a little over 20k on it. I think it needs a valve adjustment. It's vibrating more than it used to.

Anyone got an idea of what this should cost? I called a couple local dealers, and the prices varied from $240 to $450. Honda Powersports of troy was the highest, (but seemed the most knowledgable) and Southside was the cheapest, but was the most vague.

I'd like to watch a dealer adjust V-Tech valves for $240. If they do it for that.. I'll eat my hat... and it's a big fucking hat.

From his info he has a 2000 VFR, V-Tech didn't come till 02 on that model when they switched from gear driven cams to chain drive as well. I still would never touch a V4 Honda regardless..

I'd like to watch a dealer adjust V-Tech valves for $240. If they do it for that.. I'll eat my hat... and it's a big fucking hat.

My bad, I guess I should have explicitly said that was for my bike, the ZZR600. I know nothing about VFRs

I have a 2000 Honda VFR800 (V4) with a little over 20k on it. I think it needs a valve adjustment. It's vibrating more than it used to.

Anyone got an idea of what this should cost? I called a couple local dealers, and the prices varied from $240 to $450. Honda Powersports of troy was the highest, (but seemed the most knowledgable) and Southside was the cheapest, but was the most vague.

Hey dude - dont take your stuff to Southside.. I wouldnt let them tighten an air valve cap on a wheel! A legit valve check adjust should start at about $450, there's lots of labor involved.

- You might jump over to VFRD for more questions. (It might be you need a starter valve sync)

Good luck

md

Edited by mello dude

I'd agree with that, -- sounds like a bait and switch. -- "Sure we can do it for $240.." Yeah -when you get the bill its $ 1240.00

Just another +1... I was expecting Pauly to laugh at $450 and say nothing more than $50... because I have never gotten prices on valve adjust.

If Pauly says it's gonna cost 500+ I wouldn't take it to anyone that charged less than that (assuming I couldn't take it to him)

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'll check with them when I get back to ohio on monday. Yeah, it's not Vtec, but it's still a V4 and a pain in the ass.

Starter Sync eh? Never heard of it. (Begins flipping through the service manual.....) Would that cause high RPM vibration? Maybe even hard start's? Found this on a forum: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/54082-my-go-at-starter-valve-synchronization-lots-of-pics/page__hl__6g+starter+valve+synch

Yeah, that looks like a giant pain in the ass. I will be letting someone else do that.

Edited by Hondajt