ATTN Computer peeps

DangBruhY

Hard drive failure is what I'm dealing with now. It says that when you log in. I've done a chkdsk. Didn't display any results. I've done all the basic tests, even ran chkdsk as a slave drive on another computer. Still with the same results. I also ran a virus scan, to make sure the msg wasn't some sort of malware.

Spin-rite is a good program, it just take FOREVER to go through the hard drive and check/fix it.

SMART telling you this?

Possibly false positive - had it happen to me before. May or may not be bad.

If you can see the data, copy/move it somewhere else, disable SMART in the BIOS, see what happens.

Most drives have at least a 3 year warranty these days, so you may be able to get it replaced (unless it's older than that).

Are you trying to save the drive, or just the data on the drive?

Drives are cheap these days, go buy one, or if money is an isuse (it is with me!) I have a few lying around you could have for cheap to hold oyu over until you can get a new one. They're all in the 250-500 GB range. I bought a 2TB for $149 at Microcenter a month or so ago, and I've seen them even cheaper than that!

I tried duplicating the hard drive to another... It failed. I don't know what's going on with it, but it will be a PITA to find all the software for this computer. That's why I'm wanting to see if there actually is something wrong with it or figure out what the hell is going on. So far, none of the scans that I've done have told me that the hard drive is bad, but I keep getting those errors.

BTW, this is a work computer, not my personal computer.

1. Grab this: http://www.jblosser.com/ORstuff/acronisur.iso

2. Burn the .iso to CD

3. Connect another drive (thumb, usb-connected ide/sata, whatever) to computer with sketchy drive

4. Boot from CD

5. Create image of machine

Now that you have a backup,

6. Watch how 'failed' hard drive works perfectly for years and years.

Isn't that about the troof....

If you have a good backup, the server doesn't die and stupid LUsers don't "accidentally", er, stupidly delete their files... 20+ years experience talkin' here.

Avamar (EMC) d2d + deduplication FTMFW.

If you have a good backup, the server doesn't die and stupid LUsers don't "accidentally", er, stupidly delete their files... 20+ years experience talkin' here.

Avamar (EMC) d2d + deduplication FTMFW.

At home I'm using a windows home server box. Automatic backups, easy file sharing, remote access... I haven't had much need for backups, recently, or in the past. I guess I'm just licky on that one.

I did have a drive in a Striped RAID fail not long ago, but I kept all the data on another drive, and only program files and OS and such on the RAID. I didn't bother with restoring that backup, just fresh install of windows, point my docs, etc.. to the right folders on the second drive, all was sell again.

Looks awesome. What kind of cost is involved with Avamar? I've been looking into the Acronis products, because that's what I use at home.

I've had good luck with Acronis, except their support sucked the one time I needed them. So, don't pay for support. YRMV, but I doubt it. I still use it, though.

The Avamar solution me and my team implemented was around $700,000 - but that's for getting approximately 200 remote U.S. servers, 50-ish European and South America servers, and around 300 here in Columbus, backing that all up to disk, keeping 6 months' worth on tier 1 storage and another year on tier 2. Around 400 TB native, 12 TB deduplicated for point-in-time restores. Around 30% of the applications have a 2 hour RTO with 0% lost data. All of the Columbus servers are real-time replicated to a disaster recovery site located in another state. All of the remote servers backup to local disk, which is then carried over the WAN to Columbus. Most (90%) of the Columbus servers and 99% of the remote servers are virtual servers. The only servers I have running on bare metal are a couple that have fax cards in them, the 3 Exchange DAG servers, and a couple of others.

Our e-mail system is 3 way redundant - 2 here, 1 at the DR site, each hold about 1/3 of the users, but all 3 are sized so that they can take 100% of the users if need be. 107 TB just for e-mail. 3,330 users. Crazy.

I've had good luck with Acronis, except their support sucked the one time I needed them. So, don't pay for support. YRMV, but I doubt it. I still use it, though.

The Avamar solution me and my team implemented was around $700,000 - but that's for getting approximately 200 remote U.S. servers, 50-ish European and South America servers, and around 300 here in Columbus, backing that all up to disk, keeping 6 months' worth on tier 1 storage and another year on tier 2. Around 400 TB native, 12 TB deduplicated for point-in-time restores. Around 30% of the applications have a 2 hour RTO with 0% lost data. All of the Columbus servers are real-time replicated to a disaster recovery site located in another state. All of the remote servers backup to local disk, which is then carried over the WAN to Columbus. Most (90%) of the Columbus servers and 99% of the remote servers are virtual servers. The only servers I have running on bare metal are a couple that have fax cards in them, the 3 Exchange DAG servers, and a couple of others.

Our e-mail system is 3 way redundant - 2 here, 1 at the DR site, each hold about 1/3 of the users, but all 3 are sized so that they can take 100% of the users if need be. 107 TB just for e-mail. 3,330 users. Crazy.

Thanks for the info. Looks like something I'm going to have to look into.

Just wondering but who do you work for with an infrastructure like that here in Columbus.

Edit... Nevermind.. I figured it out. Im sure at one point we have probably met while I was onsite. Also, I was at your Austria location a few years back. :)

Edit again.. Yep.. just checked some things confirmed it.... Small world.

Edited by flounder