charging issue?

flyboy1011

So went out to start the bike today and when it didn't turn over on the first click, I obviously tried again and then I hit the starter it sounded like the battery was drained and the headlight got really dim. Everytime I turned the key and tried again it kept getting worse. Do I need a new battery? What's the deal?

So went out to start the bike today and when it didn't turn over on the first click, I obviously tried again and then I hit the starter it sounded like the battery was drained and the headlight got really dim. Everytime I turned the key and tried again it kept getting worse. Do I need a new battery? What's the deal?

First bike? First winter?

You should've pulled the battery out and put it on a tender for the winter. I'd do that now. See if it'll hold a charge.

First bike? First winter?

You should've pulled the battery out and put it on a tender for the winter. I'd do that now. See if it'll hold a charge.

2nd bike, 2nd winter...had it on a tender all winter out in the garage. It ran fine the first few days I've had it running this year. I've got a couple things in mind that I'm gonna check out when I get home from work tonight.

2nd bike, 2nd winter...had it on a tender all winter out in the garage. It ran fine the first few days I've had it running this year. I've got a couple things in mind that I'm gonna check out when I get home from work tonight.

First thing's first, throw a multimeter on there and see what the voltage is across the terminals. If you need one, you can borrow mine. You should be upwards of 13 volts, 13.8 is about right. Once you have load (key on, kill switch off), voltage should drop to just barely below 13V, then it should fire up. If any of those things aren't happening, then the batt's not holding a charge or can't put out enough amps to turn the starting motor.