Lasik Eye Surgery

Disclaimer

I have thought about it as well, but either didn't have the funds to justify it, or ran into antoher person who had it done and wasn't satisfied. My luck the surgeon has the hiccups the day of my appointment and turns my head into a bowling ball.

Meh...bowling ball...cock holster...you head would still serve a useful purpose.

I had this done in January of 2008. I had stigmatism and near sighted and far sighted. I would have stress headaches everyday from looking at a computer too long and i did not wear my glasses really ever except for hunting.

I wish I did it years ago. I have no headaches or squintyness now. My right eye is great 20/20. The computer chose the "slice" (prescription) for my left eye and the doctor chose the "slice" for my right eye. i don't know why really but the doc's computer prescription setting was better then the computer generated prescription for the left eye. Not sure why he did it that way. They cut both in the same day.

I used my employers 125 plan so I paid less tax. I also paid the doc an extra $100, you can haggle the price with him, so if i ever needed it done again it would be free. KNOWING how it's done now i'm a little hesistant to go back and get the left sliced again. I'll wait till it bothers me more. They don't tell you details of the procedure for a reason. At least mine didn't. It really is freaky and better you don't know everything the first time it's done.

I went to Fladen

http://www.fladeneyecenter.com/

Edited by Gump

I had it done in 2002. Best thing ever! A little discomfort during & a few days after. Halo's around headlights & other lights outdoors at night but went away after a few months. Used special drops after procedure for dryness. They helped and all dryness was gone after a year or so. It is so well worth it. 20/15 now. I was 20/200 & 20/400 with an Astigmatism.

No regrets here. Brian Stahl in Kettering did mine with the added procedure of "Ladar." He is one of the best in the nation.

Did it 10+ years ago. Best money I ever spent. Keep liquid tears on hand for the dry eyes...won't last forever though.

Lifetime warranty...well..the place I went to changed names/ownership (yeah right)...so if I ever have to go back I get a 'discounted' rate. Keep that in mind. Would I still go back and do it? Hell yes. Best investment I ever made..and I was severely nearsighted. Contacts messed my eyes up a few times (especially while I was in the Army).

Never looked back.

Did it 10+ years ago. Best money I ever spent. Keep liquid tears on hand for the dry eyes...won't last forever though.

Lifetime warranty...well..the place I went to changed names/ownership (yeah right)...so if I ever have to go back I get a 'discounted' rate. Keep that in mind. Would I still go back and do it? Hell yes. Best investment I ever made..and I was severely nearsighted. Contacts messed my eyes up a few times (especially while I was in the Army).

Never looked back.

enough said. i had to read a lot of bullshit in this thread, but this was the post i was looking for. i trust this guy and i don't even trust my mother.

Inya has that fast-twitch cornea thanks to genetics, where JRMMiii has two left eyes and you can tell on the dance floor.

But Inya makes a solid case for doing it, and the biggest reason I want to someday. I have worn contacts for 20 years, and I have had infections more times than I care to admit, and I am anal about their care. Plus, I am already hitting them with drops 2,3,4 times a day. What is twice a day once the healing time from the surgery is over?

Well... I am a 'candidate' and they answered all my questions. They said they've never had a patient come out with vision worse than when they came.

OTOH, it's expensive. And my prescription has changed A LOT more over just last year than it has previously - last year was the first year I started wearing contacts too. Though even with this change, I'm within their normal operating window.

I asked how much they actually burn/shave (for lack of better terms) off the cornea. Apparently I have 531 'units'. 100 or so of that is the flap - so I'm down to about 431 of workable eye goo, then they take around 90-95 on top of that. So around 20% of your cornea. They say about 250 units is the limit on what you need on the cornea (no less than 250) - so I'll end up around the 340 unit range.

Subsequent surgeries, if necessary, aren't as drastic and usually will be in the 15-30 unit range. So, take that FWIW.

If I choose to get it done, it'll be late April. FYI, you have to get a $90 prescription (what the lady told me it would cost if you don't have a prescription plan -- I personally haven't costed it at a Pharmacy yet) filled prior to the surgery, so that's an additional hidden cost that most people aren't aware of going in.

The feeling of being able to swim..and SEE at the same time...

being able to wake up and immediately be able to see without reaching for glasses or contacts (think self defense here)....

I could go on and on. It was the best money I ever spent. One word of caution...

If they give you Valium before hand, make sure it kicks in before you let them slice your eyeballs up. You'll thank me later.

Consult is free. My g/f had it done a few months ago and loves it.

I made the mistake of researching this and the more I read the more it's a little scary. The ultimate Lasik-biased site (against): http://www.lasikcomplications.com/

But, really, my vision is bad enough to where even if it wasn't corrected to 20/20 (20/40 maybe), it'd still be a major improvement. The only issue is right now my contacts/glasses correct it to 20/15... once you do Lasik, it throws a wrench into "correcting the laser correction" already.

Why bother if you still have to wear glasses or lenses??? I've went for consultations every few years as the technology and science improves. I'm still not eligible as my cornea is too thin. They said they could "improve" my vision but I would still have to wear lenses. I just don't see the point.

Why bother if you still have to wear glasses or lenses??? I've went for consultations every few years as the technology and science improves. I'm still not eligible as my cornea is too thin. They said they could "improve" my vision but I would still have to wear lenses. I just don't see the point.

but for the rest of us none freakishly thin cornea'd people, we can get perfect vision with the surgery.

actually, i don't know if i can since i have pretty bad astigmatism.