Spare Keys

gen3flygirl

I've used a place on the East side to cut one from the number on the lock or VIN. So I'd say any good locksmith should be able to copy one. Maybe even some hardware stores, but I haven't tried that for anything other than car and house keys.

Edited by ReconRat
removed redundant... durrrr

Lowes, Home Depot? I think Home Depot is where I've had several of the last keys made that I've needed. I need another key for the Hon-duh (if I ever get it back together) and I'm going to try the local hardware store.

The other option is the stealership.....

^^ i tried home depot to make a suzuki key, didnt have the correct blank to do it

They had a tough time finding a VERY COMMON Schlage blank, last time I needed a house key cut, and the screwed up one of the copies (I think I had 2 or 3 copies made) which is tough to do with the "automated" machine they use now. They obviously didn't even LOOK at it (neither did I) to see it was WAY off.

I still need a copy or 2 of the house key, I'll try the local hardware and ask about the bike key, or even take it with me.

Yea, you don't want some crappy looking thing. I wanted a spare for my RC and went to Ohio Motorcycle. They just had plain metal ones on hand - I wanted the kind with the plastic molded grip like stock. Had to order it. No problem and you want a good locksmith to cut and buff it.

If you have a blank, Roush Hardware at the corner of State St & Schrock Rd in Westerville. They have an old skool key machine and if you have a blank they can cut it for $1.00. That's where I had my spare cut. I bought a blank on eBay and had them cut it.

(State St is a.k.a. Rt 3 or Westerville Rd)

What? Why?

they told us it is store policy that they won't copy bike keys for security reasons. Also had 2 smaller hardware stores tell us the same. My buddy ended up ordering one from a yamaha dealer and I said screw it figured one is enough

they told us it is store policy that they won't copy bike keys for security reasons. Also had 2 smaller hardware stores tell us the same. My buddy ended up ordering one from a yamaha dealer and I said screw it figured one is enough

They will if you show them the damn registration. What they probably meant was that they didn't want to stock bike keys because they hardly ever sell any.

which reminds me, I always have the registration with me and offer it for copying a bike key.