@IT folks, question on servers

Likwid

Can anyone tell me, approximately, how much overhead is taken up by IIS logging? Is it a flat % or does it depend too much on the content and traffic to be able to answer that question?

Thanks in advance, and any sources would be super helpful... super cereal

the answer to your question is, there is not clear answer. IIS its self takes next to nothing. Then you have to look at what it is hosting. Sure static HTML pages take next to nothing. ASP, PHP, CGI can take a little or a lot depending on what they are doing. Then the question of traffic also determines what a server is going to be taxed with.

Logging will vary on all that, as well as how much info you are logging and how long you are keeping it. Genrally speaking logging is not much of an impact unless disk I/O is an issue.

I can likely give advise if I knew more about what you are looking to do.

Edited by Sapphy
Missed part of the answer

Can anyone tell me, approximately, how much overhead is taken up by IIS logging? Is it a flat % or does it depend too much on the content and traffic to be able to answer that question?

Thanks in advance, and any sources would be super helpful... super cereal

The clear answer to your question is a question.

Why in the fuck would you use IIS? :lol:

The clear answer to your question is a question.

Why in the fuck would you use IIS? :lol:

*shrug* that's a decision by a different division of the company ;)

I'm just trying to determine alternatives for weblog processing and how I might be able to save us some bucks... but it sounds like having logging on isn't that big of a deal.

I'm just trying to determine alternatives for weblog processing and how I might be able to save us some bucks... but it sounds like having logging on isn't that big of a deal.

Nagios?

Generally not

Nagios?

All users of Nagios (at least the versions I dealt with on the periphery) at some point rig up a cushion right next to their keyboard for when they bang their head on the desk repeatedly.

Sapphy, you ought to try a trade of your soul to Cisco. Sure beats becoming a consultant and being a free agent. :)

Sapphy, you ought to try a trade of your soul to Cisco. Sure beats becoming a consultant and being a free agent. :)

I am good with the Cisco stuff, but back in the day, I made good bank off the sale of my soul. I think I got most of it back, and VMware is helping with that. I still swear by Exchange, which is good because my day job is Exchange Admin for the Ohio House of Reps. Our VMware guy keeps wanting me to switch to Zembra, but it will not do half the stuff I do with Exchange.

I am good with the Cisco stuff, but back in the day, I made good bank off the sale of my soul. I think I got most of it back, and VMware is helping with that. I still swear by Exchange, which is good because my day job is Exchange Admin for the Ohio House of Reps. Our VMware guy keeps wanting me to switch to Zembra, but it will not do half the stuff I do with Exchange.

MS fucked a lot of stuff up, but they did pretty well with Exchange. It's all the stuff that bolts onto it that's driving me insane. I'm currently in a tug-of-war with Unity Voicemail and Blackberry Enterprise Server for who's mailbox gets placed where due to latency issues.

MS fucked a lot of stuff up, but they did pretty well with Exchange. It's all the stuff that bolts onto it that's driving me insane. I'm currently in a tug-of-war with Unity Voicemail and Blackberry Enterprise Server for who's mailbox gets placed where due to latency issues.

I can not argue with that. (Win 3.11 for Work groups, need I say more) IT is getting better but it is still bloated and there are issues, but then again they are #1 in the market. Exchange is a grand slam. They did that so well nothing I found in the market can touch it. BES on the other hand is an EPIC FAIL. I dislike BES so much I can not even find the words.

I can not argue with that. (Win 3.11 for Work groups, need I say more) IT is getting better but it is still bloated and there are issues, but then again they are #1 in the market. Exchange is a grand slam. They did that so well nothing I found in the market can touch it. BES on the other hand is an EPIC FAIL. I dislike BES so much I can not even find the words.

hehehe, I have a soft spot for BES as it was my first corporate project and it went off without a hitch. I tried transitioning BES admin stuffs to the newbie, who decided to be lazy and clone the existing BES server in VMware so he didn't have to do all that pesky setup bullshits and have a second BES online like I asked him. Cleanup and a chew-out later and we're back online.

hehehe, I have a soft spot for BES as it was my first corporate project and it went off without a hitch. I tried transitioning BES admin stuffs to the newbie, who decided to be lazy and clone the existing BES server in VMware so he didn't have to do all that pesky setup bullshits and have a second BES online like I asked him. Cleanup and a chew-out later and we're back online.

I would like to pick your brain sometime on that. This summer I need to migrate our Physical BES into VMware and upgrade it at the same time. I wish I could talk them all into phones that used ActiveSync and just kill the BES.

I would like to pick your brain sometime on that. This summer I need to migrate our Physical BES into VMware and upgrade it at the same time. I wish I could talk them all into phones that used ActiveSync and just kill the BES.

Simple to do.

- install P2V on the target

- clone it to your VC or ESX box

----make sure you either: don't have the nic connected OR don't set it to start up the clone when done cloning

- schedule 15 minute outage (or do this at 6AM Saturday/Sunday when no one will notice a lack of mail flowing to their device

- down the original

- bring up the clone

- assuming you have a device on the server, send yourself an e-mail.

- if it worked, you're done (well, except for VM tuning, VC stuff like vmotion, etc)

- if it didn't work, troubleshoot:

----make sure the BES account has send/receive/administer rights but is not a domain admin

----verify the SRP is valid

----make sure you can get to RIM via port 3101

- if it still doesn't work, shut down the guest, bring the original back up, good to go.

See? Simple.

*edit*

Caveat: Make sure you don't have two BES boxes up with the same SRP: the second one up will start working fine, but the box that had the SRP first will stop working.

Caveat: When you bring up the new BES, you'll notice all of your user license keys work fine. This DOES NOT mean you can buy a 20 pack and install it more than one server. Sure, it'll work, but that's stealing....

Edited by jblosser

i sense a work lunch in our future. you work downtown?

Simple to do.

- install P2V on the target

- clone it to your VC or ESX box

----make sure you either: don't have the nic connected OR don't set it to start up the clone when done cloning

- schedule 15 minute outage (or do this at 6AM Saturday/Sunday when no one will notice a lack of mail flowing to their device

- down the original

- bring up the clone

- assuming you have a device on the server, send yourself an e-mail.

- if it worked, you're done (well, except for VM tuning, VC stuff like vmotion, etc)

- if it didn't work, troubleshoot:

----make sure the BES account has send/receive/administer rights but is not a domain admin

----verify the SRP is valid

----make sure you can get to RIM via port 3101

- if it still doesn't work, shut down the guest, bring the original back up, good to go.

See? Simple.

Good plan, but

-I have never had P2V work outside of the lab when I took VMware Class

-We want to move the OS from 2003 to 2008 in the move

-We need to update our copy of BES because the guy before me neglected to keep it up to date when they had maintainance so now word 2007 docs will not transfer to the phones, so we have to buy the server software again to update to a version that will work with word 2007

Good plan, but

-I have never had P2V work outside of the lab when I took VMware Class

-We want to move the OS from 2003 to 2008 in the move

-We need to update our copy of BES because the guy before me neglected to keep it up to date when they had maintainance so now word 2007 docs will not transfer to the phones, so we have to buy the server software again to update to a version that will work with word 2007

I've had P2V fail exactly twice on me. If it gets past 2%, it's gonna work. I've converted at least 100 physical boxes, no problemo.

Are you extending the schema to 2008? Hopefully not until ALL boxes are 2008...

So you don't have maintenance with RIM now, I take it? Software's free if you do. I could help you out with that - it's the SRP that you're really paying for anyway. RIM will sell you a temporary SRP (90 days?) for $750~ish that would allow you to build the new '08 box and pop the latest BES on it. If you do have maintenace, you can call them and whine/beg and they'll usually give you one for free.

Sounds like I need to join this lunch and/or schedule a site visit to assist with P2V.

@MATT: Sorry we've jacked your thread. To your original question: Logging doesn't add enough overhead that you'll notice, unless the box is old and underpowered anyway. the only gotcha is if you're not careful setting it up, you can fill your drives up pretty easily. Just go into IIS Mangler and config it to keep x side/days of logs, whatever you require SOX-wise.