My desktop has a backdoor trojan......

max power

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is this:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2001-062614-1754-99&tabid=3

Backdoor.Trojan

Risk Level 1: Very Low

Printer Friendly Page

Discovered: February 11, 1999

Updated: May 6, 2002 3:37:23 PM

Type: Trojan

Infection Length: Varies

Systems Affected: Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000

Backdoor.Trojan is a detection name used by Symantec to identify malicious software programs that share the primary functionality of enabling a remote attacker to have access to or send commands to a compromised computer.

As the name suggests, these threats are used to provide a covert channel through which a remote attacker can access and control a computer. The Trojans vary in sophistication, ranging from those that only allow for limited functions to be performed to those that allow almost any action to be carried out, thus allowing the remote attacker to almost completely take over control of a computer.

A computer with a sophisticated back door program installed may also be referred to as a "zombie" or a "bot". A network of such bots may often be referred to as a "botnet". Botnets have been well publicized in the news over the years, with different instances being given specific names such as Kraken, Mariposa, or Kneber, along with claims of hundreds of thousands of nodes belonging to certain networks.

Typical back door capabilities may allow a remote attacker to:

• Collect information (system and personal) from the computer and any storage device attached to it
  • Terminate tasks and processes
  • Run tasks and processes
  • Download additional files
  • Upload files and other content
  • Report on status
  • Open remote command line shells
  • Perform denial of service attacks on other computers
  • Change computer settings
  • Shut down or restart the computer

Backdoor Trojan horse programs have become increasingly popular amongst malware creators over the years because of the shift in motivation from fame and glory to money and profit. In today's black market economy, a computer with a back door can be put to work performing various criminal activities that earn money for their controllers. Schemes such as pay per install, sending spam emails, and harvesting personal information and identities are all ways to generate revenue.

If a Symantec antivirus product displays a detection alert for this threat, it means the computer is already protected and the Symantec product will effectively remove this threat from the computer. Protection

• Initial Rapid Release version February 11, 1999
  • Latest Rapid Release version April 15, 2010 revision 008
  • Initial Daily Certified version February 11, 1999
  • Latest Daily Certified version April 15, 2010 revision 003
  • Initial Weekly Certified release date February 17, 1999

Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.

Threat Assessment

Wild

• Wild Level: Low
  • Number of Infections: 0 - 49
  • Number of Sites: 0 - 2
  • Geographical Distribution: Low
  • Threat Containment: Easy
  • Removal: Easy

Damage

• Damage Level: Medium
  • Payload: Opens a back door

Distribution

• Distribution Level: Low

Writeup By: Hon Lau

why did you turn off system restore? That just deleted all your restore points which could have potentially removed the virus. Plus depending on whatg av youre using, it could be a false positive

cuz this told me to:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2001-062614-1754-99&tabid=3

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ is a good free product. ESET is a good pay product.

Honestly I gave up cleaning systems on the infected system years ago. The best bet for a good clean is take the HD out, use a USB adapter and put it into another system to scan with a good anti-virus and/or anti malware

+1 on malwarebytes

Spybot used to be on my short list, but I've had it miss some things that superantispyware and malwarebytes caught.

How do I know when its done? Some fuckin solicitor called while it was running and by the time I got done speaking in tongues to him it was gone.

The trojan is still showing up on a quick scan.

How do I know when its done? Some fuckin solicitor called while it was running and by the time I got done speaking in tongues to him it was gone.

Want to trade? IF you are any good with the spinning of the wrenches, I will clean you drive if you would be willing to give my bike a look over and make sure it is all tip top. I have done it myself but I am far better at the IT than than the spinning of wrenches and would feel better if a more experienced person would look over it.

Gone? It doesn't exit by itself. You ran a full scan?

I would reboot in safe mode before starting any scan, FYI.

I would trust MS to remove something on my PC like I trust them to prevent it getting on there to begin with.

Have it your way...but the link I provided you will clean your PC.

i use MS security essentials as my ONLY form on antivirus, and ive never had one problem...and ive been to some truly questionable sites!....firefox with noscript may have helped me out also, but still, i stand by the free microsoft security products...and ive used that malware removal tool before to get rid of that one virus that changes your homepage, after my kaspersky failed, and it worked like a charm

to each their own

Want to trade? IF you are any good with the spinning of the wrenches, I will clean you drive if you would be willing to give my bike a look over and make sure it is all tip top. I have done it myself but I am far better at the IT than than the spinning of wrenches and would feel better if a more experienced person would look over it.

I could do that.