WTB: Tent

Bad324

anyone have a tent they want to get rid of? I don't camp much but have 2-3 trips coming up this summer so figured might as well get one. I don't need anything fancy, just sleeps 4-6 would be fine.

EDIT: I just got an email from Dick's for 25% off today only so this will be a one day thing otherwise I'll just order one from there. Thanks!

i was gonna say dicks has some nice tents for pretty cheap, i got my 10 person tent like 6 yrs ago from sears when they did the outdoors stuff for 100 something

yea i found a 6 person tent for $75 shipped at dicks. Figured I'd check here in case anyone was wanting to get rid of one cheap

the tents at Dick's look uber expensive, and 4-6 is pretty big. I guess it depends on how many people you actually plan to sleep in it, and what your specific needs are though. I prefer a tent to pack well. you don't 'live' in it, you just sleep in it.

Realistically, I never want to sleep in a tent with more than 1 other person, so smaller is usually better.

I have a 5x7 "2 man" tent that I use when I'm alone. It's higher quality, and was priced appropriately - but i've had it for going on 10 years now. It can fit 2 people in a pinch, but your gear is staying outside in the little alcove (covered by the rain fly only)

I also picked up a cheaper 9x8 for when I bring the wife and dog with me. for light-duty camping, something like this is all you need http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-8-Dome-Tent/14089865 $32

Just be sure to have extra tent stakes, a tarp, and bungy cords. the cheaper the tent, the shittier the rain fly.

spending hundreds on a tent that only gets used 10 days a year seems like kind of a waste to me when the $8 tarp makes a $32 tent just as weather-resistant.

the tents at Dick's look uber expensive, and 4-6 is pretty big. I guess it depends on how many people you actually plan to sleep in it, and what your specific needs are though. I prefer a tent to pack well. you don't 'live' in it, you just sleep in it.

Realistically, I never want to sleep in a tent with more than 1 other person, so smaller is usually better.

I have a 5x7 "2 man" tent that I use when I'm alone. It's higher quality, and was priced appropriately - but i've had it for going on 10 years now. It can fit 2 people in a pinch, but your gear is staying outside in the little alcove (covered by the rain fly only)

I also picked up a cheaper 9x8 for when I bring the wife and dog with me. for light-duty camping, something like this is all you need http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-8-Dome-Tent/14089865 $32

Just be sure to have extra tent stakes, a tarp, and bungy cords. the cheaper the tent, the shittier the rain fly.

spending hundreds on a tent that only gets used 10 days a year seems like kind of a waste to me when the $8 tarp makes a $32 tent just as weather-resistant.

this is good advice. I figured $75 was my max and usually i couldn't see ever having more than 3-4 people in it. It will be sparingly used and can almost gaurantee I will not be camping if there is more than a 30% chance of rain. I'm not a big camper, but the times I have have been fun and having my own tent would be beneficial

Redkow97 is right.

I've had a few tents over the years, and the cheap ones you get at Walmart, Kmart and Target are just that, Cheap! The last one I got at Walmart for a motorcycle trip was wet inside the next morning from the dew! Defiantly get you a tarp if you get one of the cheap ones.

I picked up a 2 man tent over the winter on craigslist. Its one that is rated for 4 season and mountain climbing! Small, light, and full weather resistant. Its a $400 tent new. The guy bought it and only used it 4 times over a couple years. I got it for $65.

does it have a kitchen?...damn thats big

Yes, thats what she said!

too big to adequately cover with a cheap tarp :p

the more i think about it, the tent itself is just a structure to give shape to my tarps, and keep bugs off of me in my sleep.

Given that Native Americans lived mostly in tent-like structures, I can't believe they ever had to do a rain dance. Seems like the second I roll out the drop-clothe, it starts sprinkling. By the time I get the whole thing hurricane proof, the weather usually clears up :D

one more thing - pick up the $10 air mattress from target with the rechargeable electric pump. I have a queen and a twin. for as cheap as they are, they're worth every penny, and make sleeping on the ground a HELL of a lot more comfortable. Might also keep you dry(er) by keeping you off the ground in heavy rain.

too big to adequately cover with a cheap tarp :p

the more i think about it, the tent itself is just a structure to give shape to my tarps, and keep bugs off of me in my sleep.

Given that Native Americans lived mostly in tent-like structures, I can't believe they ever had to do a rain dance. Seems like the second I roll out the drop-clothe, it starts sprinkling. By the time I get the whole thing hurricane proof, the weather usually clears up :D

one more thing - pick up the $10 air mattress from target with the rechargeable electric pump. I have a queen and a twin. for as cheap as they are, they're worth every penny, and make sleeping on the ground a HELL of a lot more comfortable. Might also keep you dry(er) by keeping you off the ground in heavy rain.

luckily we have huge sheets of tarp I can use for weekends I actually camp. And completely agree about the air mattress, I've had one for a few years stashed away in the cloest :D