Good motorcycle maintenance/problems website?

|SnOmAn|

It's my buddies bike we have been working on. It's a '94 Katana GSXF 600. He took the airbox off because it was off when he bought it. It's burning gas like crazy and bogging down after riding for a little bit. I took it for a spin the other day and when I was going to enter the highway, I gave it the throttle and it wanted to stall, but I was able to pull over before getting crushed. So I pulled back into the school and it was doing it still. I know he took the airbox off because it was pinching the gas hoses, and the filter maybe clogged.

I know a little, but not enough of motors to know if it is fuel jets, or too much air in the carbs from being open. Any help would be great.

Yeah, I think I will have him try that and also put the airbox back on. I told him it was not good for it to be off for that reason you say. I asked him too about the gas switch. He has the reserve/off/gas dial. I asked if he has been turning it off cause that could be bad maybe. At least that is what they say at the motorcycle course thingy.

You gotta methodically go through the systems until you find the culprit. Sounds to me like you should start in the fuel delivery area, or check for fouled plugs since there was no filter on that bad boy. Check the fuel system, clean carbs, check spark plugs. Look for cracks in hoses and unwanted dirt or debris in things. Hopefully someone can chime in with something more specific, but thats my $.02

A bike will bog down when attempting to accelerate if it lacks spark or has a fuel problem. Carbs and FI meter fuel per air flow, so there's not really anything like too much air.

I would check battery for 13.5 volts or better. Checking the alternator output is a good thing to do, but isn't as easy.

I like to check the plugs for clues, but it would be best to shut the engine off and stop when it is actually acting up. Pull a plug right there and check it's condition. That's not so easy on some bikes. (It was easy on vertical twins.)

Check the fuel delivery. Pull the fuel hose off the carb, and let it flow into a glass container. It should deliver a certain amount in a set length of time, per the service manual. It should be clean, no water, and flow smoothly.

Beyond that, the carbs will probably have to come off and be cleaned, checked, and repaired.

edit: the newer bikes use a vacuum controlled fuel valve on the tank. If it gets messed up, it won't let much fuel flow through it.

Edited by ReconRat