Rebuild the service van trans., but who?

max power

So I've pretty much settled on getting the trans. rebuilt, since I dont want to take a chance of a junkyard trans. not working right and having to pay someone to remove it and start the whole process over again, and I've gotten some prices from a few places ranging from $1400 - 1800.

A Transmission Masters is out of the running due to the horrible work they did on a Pathfinder that I had years ago and the $2200 they charged me + the $300 it cost me to replace the exhaust y-pipe they destroyed and wouldnt fix correctly.

Right now, the leader on my list is Severance Transmissions out in Sommerset. They come highly recommended by a mechanic friend of mine and have built many heavy duty truck pull transmissions. they quoted me $1500 with a 12mo./12k warranty.

So, do any of you have any suggestions for transmission repair shops that are reputable and wont try to rob me?

I've had 3 done myself and sent several others to Hardshift in Johnstown on 62. Quick turn time and prices inline or a touch cheaper than the others. Top notch work and noones had to take any back. 1 was from an F350 I had a few years back that I was hauling cars and trailers with all over the country, put 190,000 miles on that tranny before I sold the truck hooked to a trailer for everyone of those miles and never an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy that fixes our heavy equip re-builds them all the time on the cheap! What is the make,year and tranee code? I will ask him. he prob can do it for at least a couple hundo cheaper than anyone else and he is good. PM me if u want more details. He is i cincy though...

The guy that fixes our heavy equip re-builds them all the time on the cheap! What is the make,year and tranee code? I will ask him. he prob can do it for at least a couple hundo cheaper than anyone else and he is good. PM me if u want more details. He is i cincy though...

Thanks man, but getting it to Cinci would be cost prohibitive. Its a 98 Windstar 3.0 with the AX4S trans.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it back last Friday and been driving it around. Cost $1600 as the whole thing had to be redone. Everything is new and its working great so far. 6 month/unlimited mileage warranty, so I will be driving the hell out of it till November to make sure there will be no problems.

Seemed like good guys, so barring any future trans issues, I'd probably recommend them.