No Jeans, Denim In Newark Under Proposed School Dress Code

RC51 John

I thought my prior post addressed this, but...

Kids have limited rights. There are a lot of "legal" activities that aren't allowed on school grounds. Don't we REQUIRE kids to attend school? Do you consider that a violation of their freedom as well?

The definition of compulsory education is loose when you factor in private school and home-school.

http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/Education/CompulsoryEducationOverview/tabid/12943/Default.aspx

Bottom line really is the law mandates kids be educated to a certain level. So, as far as that goes, the only thing that matters is you can pass the GED test, right?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you have actually been in a high school lately?

Yeah, a dress code, not really a bad thing.

Private schools have uniforms, so whats wrong with public schools havin them? I went to Catholic school 1st-8th grade,

had to wear dress pants dress shirt and tie, its just clothing, its not the end of the world.

Yes..and no. I have the privilege to speed' date=' but there is a price to pay for doing it. My "right" to driving can be taken from me. So can a student's "right" to education.. for the day, anyway. You have the right to wear whatever you want on your own property. "Public property" is much different, as it is "owned" by everyone.[/quote']

Contrary to what jbot has told you, my body is not "public property" and therefore my right to cover it how I deem fit, is my right alone. All the law says is that I HAVE to cover it somehow from being exposed to "person’s [within] physical proximity and who are not members of the [my] household."

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2907.09

Yes..and no. I have the privilege to speed' date=' but there is a price to pay for doing it. My "right" to driving can be taken from me. So can a student's "right" to education.. for the day, anyway. You have the right to wear whatever you want on your own property. "Public property" is much different, as it is "owned" by everyone.

[/quote']

Ummmm... Acutally, we don't have the "right" to drive, it is a priveledge, and you have to prove that you are (somewhat) able. jussayin'

Kinda of like how it's easier just to assign uniforms than to actually deal with the couple kids that break the dress code policy?

My job would be a lot easier too if I didn't have to solve other peoples problems... but then I suppose I wouldn't have a job either. :dunno:

Kinda of like how it's easier just to assign uniforms than to actually deal with the couple kids that break the dress code policy?

My job would be a lot easier too if I didn't have to solve other peoples problems... but then I suppose I wouldn't have a job either. :dunno:

The teachers' jobs are to educate, not deal with kids that want to break the rules. The amount of time they put into dealing with dress code issues right now is about enough to occupy 1 person all day, every day.

BTW....the Newark song pretty well sums it up. Thanks for reposting that! I had forgotten about it!

I never said the public school system was efficient' date=' effective or optimal. Honesty, if they implemented a [b']dress code, and stood by it, they could focus on teaching instead of scolding.

Guess that would depend on what you think was efficient and effective. If public school is strictly for kids to learn academics? Maybe they're just supposed to learn societal norms? Maybe a combination? Maybe they're there to observe cause and effect, interact with others?

Either way, if you want to churn out cogs from a machine, there are more economical ways to do it than just implementing a dress code. I don't know why we'd pay these public school administrators to "administer" stuff just because it's easier.

I'm glad our legislation and justice system isn't setup that way.

Check out the comments to the article in the local Newark newspaper here, I think it tells a lot of the story, when you see the mentality of the ones that are opposing it./

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20100511/NEWS01/5110321/Newark-school-board-approves-dress-code

you could definitely categorize the intelligence level of those who support vs oppose the dress code

I love the hicks that say if you don't roll over and take everything "people in charge" says, then you are a bad parent and teaching your child to disobey authority. There is a pretty thick line between standing up for what one believes in and disobeying. You can stand up and still fight bad policy and still work within the rules.

I love the hicks that say if you don't roll over and take everything "people in charge" says, then you are a bad parent and teaching your child to disobey authority. There is a pretty thick line between standing up for what one believes in and disobeying. You can stand up and still fight bad policy and still work within the rules.

I agree with you, in spirit. Flat out disobeying the rules is a problem. Doing something to get the rules changed, attending school board meetings, peaceful protests (not during school time where you should be learning) and stuff like that is great. If the students don't like the rules, they still ahve to follow them. Or can I use this argument if I run a stoplight because I don't think they should have put one there? I should attend a council meeting and make a case for why it should be removed.

The thick line between standing up and disobeying is exactly what some of the comments are suggesting they will have their kids cross, because they don't like it.