Wheelie School Spot for the 24th

alienpi

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done many wheelies, and I've landed them all (one them being in the triple digits). I am looking at refining my technique, learning from the pros. Maybe learning a cool trick or two. Plus learning on their bikes takes a lot of the nervousness out of the equation.

450 bucks is crazy, seriously find a friend with a dirtbike

its prolly so much cuz they have those special 600/750/1000 bikes to learn on.

If by special you mean installing sprockets the size of steamboat paddle wheels :rolleyes:, then yes - they are special bikes.

Don't worry, I already sensed the sarcasm in your original post - I still felt the need to comment.

I took the class years back. Your at Thompson in a controled environment. Gear: Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Jeans, and over the ankle boots. Your ridding old F2's and F3's that are slightly geared and streetfightered.

Scott did most of the talking. He went over everything from the powerband/tire air pressure/the benefit of having a flat spot on your tire/body positioning/etc. I was actually really impressed how he broke everything down. The bikes have an adjustable scrap bar so you wont flip.

Take the class if you want to learn to wheelie. Your not on the Expressway or middle of traffic like many others learn to. You will hit the balance point.

Whatever you do dont ride out their. Its just like a track day. You will physically and mentally tired by the end of the day. Definitely a lot of fun!

p.s. make sure you squeeze the tank with your legs when landing. If not your twig and berries wont like it.... (Trust me I found out the hard way)

Whatever you do dont ride out their. Its just like a track day. You will physically and mentally tired by the end of the day. Definitely a lot of fun!

The week of wheelie school is a vacation for me, so I was going to ride the scenic route up there Sunday and stay at a hotel with a pool. I've been contemplating taking the car, because then I could just cruise home after the wheelie school and be all energized for the trip down south (KY, TN) on Tuesday. My 2-door coupe is pretty fun to drive on twisty roads also, and it has a sliding moon roof (almost convertible-like).

Thanks for the tip. :)

Give me half... I will take you to my spot and show you what you need to know lol.... Im neutral about their whole class thing...but..... I will say that saddle time on YOUR OWN BIKE...works wonders........ahhh screw it....sign me up people say my wheelies are GARBAGE anyhow hahahahhahahahhaha

Give me half... I will take you to my spot and show you what you need to know lol.... Im neutral about their whole class thing...but..... I will say that saddle time on YOUR OWN BIKE...works wonders........ahhh screw it....sign me up people say my wheelies are GARBAGE anyhow hahahahhahahahhaha

I'd say you would need the advanced class, lol.

I will say that saddle time on YOUR OWN BIKE...works wonders........

Eventually, my goal is to get an old track bike with a cage for track and occasional wheelies coming out of corners. I don't really want to do much wheelie practice on the 1125R without a cage/sliders.

Thanks to everyone for offering wheelie/stunt instruction. I will keep that in mind if I want to level-up my skills. :)

You'll have a good time man. I've taken the class twice in the past man. I'm pretty good friends with the boyz, their really down to earth, and you'll learn allot. You'll definetly be tired at the end of the day. Hit me up if you have any questions. Would be happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Wheelie School was awesome!

Seeing the Starboyz stunts live is unbelievable. I'm not to up to date on the stunt names, but they did some impressive work throughout the day. Scott did a 1-foot on the tank/ 1-foot in the air wheelie. And then Kevin did a few stoppies with like 50-yards of rolling.

Who cares about them, how did you do? Hopefully you didn't pay to watch those clowns!

The guys were very down to earth and explained everything really well. It definitely exceeded my expectations. That's exactly what I needed to level up my skills.

I learned a lot about how to set up my bike. Got a few wheelies where I felt like I was going to die, slammed into the bar hopped the bike. And then after that it was great! By the end I could confidently get a wheelie anytime and have reasonable control on the height.

I knew I'd enjoy wheelies, but I never thought this would change me into a wheelie addict. :D

Eventually, my goal is to get an old track bike with a cage for track and occasional wheelies coming out of corners. I don't really want to do much wheelie practice on the 1125R without a cage/sliders.

Thanks to everyone for offering wheelie/stunt instruction. I will keep that in mind if I want to level-up my skills. :)

am I misunderstanding, or are you saying you plan to use a crash cage and do wheelies at a trackday?

I'd talk to someone at the trackday orgs you plan to ride with if that's the case. Some orgs don't allow crash cages. too easy for the rider to get tangled up in.

and personally, I prefer to avoid orgs that allow riders to clutch-up wheelies during a trackday. Incidental power wheelies are one thing, but holding it for no reason is just unsafe.

Incidental power wheelies are one thing, but holding it for no reason is just unsafe.

I don't plan on doing any wheelies at the track. Incidental power wheelies would be fun, but I don't want to endanger any fellow riders. I think I'll stick to the streets for wheelies. ;)