my lowside at gingerman

Hoblick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tires were warmed up by then.. it was like my 5th lap...

i didnt chop the throttle or get on the brakes, i was loose on the bars and body position felt good.... i was the smoothest i was all day through that turned.. felt great going in.. and then i hit the dip in the pavement bike unsettled and out she went... atleast that what i think... thats the only thing i can come up with.

totally unexpected lol.. i was commited to the corner... the bike just wasnt..

i have watched the video like 30 times to see if i could tell if i did anything out of the ordinary.. but im coming up with nothing... everything sounded fine, throttle sounded smooth through it.. .. only thing i can see is where the pavement is fucked up and thats right where i went down

Were you already up and walking before the bike stopped sliding? At .32 seconds at the top of screen? Glad your okay.

as soon as i stopped sliding i popped right up and gave a thumbs up, turned the key off and moved the fuck away from the bike.. didnt want to get hit by someone else if they wrecked there.

damn, and you just got done painting it. how much damage is there? going to have it back together for putnam?

damage isnt too bad

right side rear set is fucked

frame slider is trashed

exhaust bracket bent

few small holes in body work

and yes it will be ready for putnam.. atleast i hope

my left glove took a beating

the leather on the palm took a beating.. so ill probably need to get new gloves

I saw you running out to turn the key off when I came through. Doesn't look like anything you did.

thats good to know... if it as me i wanted to know what i did wrong so next time it doesnt happen lol..

were you a control rider?

Just knowing the part of the track where you went down, the "dip" there could be (mostly) to blame.

I don't know what kind of suspension you have on your bike, but if it's too soft there, the dip can definitely bottom it out. when the suspension can't absorb the impact of the dip, it's no surprise that your tires lose traction.

I noticed early in the day that I would go through that turn with my knee OFF the ground, but when my suspension compressed in the dip, my knee would touch. It's pretty significant.

what I actually think is MORE dangerous there is if your rebound isn't set correctly, as you come out of the dip, the fork springs can push your front wheel up, and get the front-end light. That happens right as you're rolling onto the gas, and it could be a recipe for nasty head-shake onto the front straight, and very near the wall...

That really sucks that a defect or flaw in the track...caused you to wreck. I would be a little pissed. At 1st....i thought maybe too much of a lean angle? But, after looking at it again...everything seemed fine. Angle, and everything seemed smooth.

Anyway. Sorry to hear man. Get that thing back out there.

thats good to know... if it as me i wanted to know what i did wrong so next time it doesnt happen lol..

were you a control rider?

Yes, I was going onto the back straight when you went down so not really close enough to see anything. That dip is bad, I try to go way inside or just outside of it but hitting it usually isn't an issue unless like redkaw said the suspension may have not helped.

That really sucks that a defect or flaw in the track...caused you to wreck.

here's the thing though; it's extremely rare that the track "causes" anyone to wreck.

If it physically crumbles from beneath your wheels, then yes, the track caused you to wreck, but the fact is that the dip was there all day, and over 100 other riders completed a combined 1,000+ laps through that section without crashing...

I don't mean to beat up on Hoblick, but the track was the constant in this equation. He was the variable... I really don't mean that as an insult in any way whatsoever.

We all make mistakes, and learning from them is a good thing. Blaming the track doesn't teach anyone anything.

Yes, I was going onto the back straight when you went down so not really close enough to see anything. That dip is bad, I try to go way inside or just outside of it but hitting it usually isn't an issue unless like redkaw said the suspension may have not helped.

stock forks with ohlins internals

rear is a penske tripple clicker

i havent messed with the suspension much though..

you should be fine suspension wise but something may have been a little off. I usually have to make some suspension adjustmens there due to the bumps.

that probably it... i really need to get the suspension set up perfect.

oh well live and learn..

and i got to get my first crash out of the way

wasnt as bad as i figured it would be :D

I watched it a few times over myself, and it looks like you met the dip after just crossing that inside seam, and the seam seem to upset the front end ever so slightly. seemed like you had decent speed through there, but if the suspension unloaded across the seam then you got to the dip, your contact patch would have been gone. but I am only guessing from the view atop your tank. i am just glad you're ok.