Sun 5/23/10 - Thunder Valley Tactical Steel Match

flounder

Shooters,

Once again, there will be another long range tactical shooting match for those interested. No one from OR other then myself has shown up yet but the board grows every day thanks to Ben and all the members so I figured I would post the event details in case there are some new members interested.

The match will be held on 5-23-10 (This Sunday) at I believe 8:30 a.m. sharp!

This event will be 16 steel target match. The highest possible score is 160. 10 points for one shot hit, 5 points second shot and 2 points third. Targets are engaged from 275 to 1150 yards.

You will need 48 rounds of ammo minimum. Extra shooting after the match is the norm here so bring more if you wish. Bring a lunch and or cooler we can transport it in the range vehicle.

I believe the Match fee is $35 or $40 but I may be a bit high.

Winner will receive his entry fee back.

Please bring spotting scopes if you have them they are a great tool for the new guys. .338 cal. or under please.

Make sure your bolt is out of your rifle.

Cost is free for spectators.

Make sure to have ear protection.

All new shooters welcome and we will help you along the way.

If you have never shot past 100 or 200 yards and are interested in this, I recommend you give it a shot at least once. Its an incredible feeling to hit a 12 inch disk at over a half mile. (1000 yards) Some of the shooters who show up are sporting custom builds and are engaging the 1 mile (1760 yards) target.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself or Tom.

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE RANGE YOUR BOLT IS OUT OF YOUR RIFLE!

map-1.jpg

Thanks,

Toms contact info is below.

Tom Sarver

Thunder Valley Precision

"We build precision rifles and train you how to use them"

740-502-6530 www.ohio1000yd.com

I’m going on a bike run tomorrow Flounder, will there be another shoot coming up this summer??

Check the schedule on the website or look for a thread on snipershide with updated schedule. TVP has stuff going on almost every weekend.

Well, I shot like complete shit today and acquired major sunburn..

Still fun though. minus the sunburn of course.

And by complete shit, he means that I beat him on my first time out with less than perfect elevation numbers.:thefinger::thefinger:

Well done, Walther. Even less than perfect dope is better than no data.

There are only 3-4 people here that will probably have decent input on this, but I'll pose the question anyway.

My scope only has 20 mils of elevation (I thought it had 27-30ish for some reason) and I'm on a 20 moa base. I'm thinking of switching to a 30 moa base so that I can dial in 1150-1200 without having to use hold overs. Thoughts?

I'd "count down" the clicks on your optic. If you have less than 10 moa adjustment left to come down from your closest zero you use, I'd say live with your hold off practice. What caliber you shooting?

Did the math, I'm 12ish mils to go from 100 to 1000, so even with the extra 3ish mils I'd get with the 30 minute base, I'd still be holding over.

sounds like a cool place to get in some long range shooting. a few years ago i was looking for a place like this but gave up and settled for the state ranges "ODNR" of 100 yards max. So i didnt purchase the heavy barrel savage i had been looking at. This place could possibly change my mind.

Something doesnt sound right.. you should not have to hold over at 1200 with that scope if my memory serves me correct on the elevation it has.

That's what I thought too. It only has 20 MILS of elevation travel (I could've swore it had 30 originally), so basically 10 MILS + 5.8 from my 20 moa base. I think I was running out of elevation at 13 MILS, which should be right because I think I was on 3.2 mils or so before we reset my turret to 0 for my 100 yard zero.

I'm going to check it tomorrow and bottom it out and count up my elevation.

That's what I thought too. It only has 20 MILS of elevation travel (I could've swore it had 30 originally), so basically 10 MILS + 5.8 from my 20 moa base. I think I was running out of elevation at 13 MILS, which should be right because I think I was on 3.2 mils or so before we reset my turret to 0 for my 100 yard zero.

I'm going to check it tomorrow and bottom it out and count up my elevation.

I checked, its just a hair over 19 mils (which seems about standard for mil scopes). My 100 yard zero is 7ish mils from mechanical zero.

I would venture to guess that you can go to a 30MOA mount and still keep your 100y zero and most of your data will be true. What round are you pushing? My .308 is running out of gas at 1000y.

Black hills 175 right now. I'm going to start loading my own here shortly. I think the blackhills is only pushing it around 2550-2600 fps and I should be able to eak out another 100-150 fps without being over pressure. Or I could try 155's for a bit flatter trajectory.

I guess I'm going to have to think on the 30 minute mount for a bit. Not sure what that'll do to my check weld.