bike #3 for the season.

redrocket04

I hate bike shopping. I really, really do.

My trip to Thailand got canceled, so my new bike will be purchased sooner than expected, assuming I can find something. So much to choose from, how the hell do I make a decision?

Since I have the comfort cruiser for the gf, I wanna get a solo seat for myself.

600 up to a liter, probably gonna go with a new one this time, or no older than '08 or '09. I'm looking for suggestions that may not be the every day variety CBR, R6 or gixxer, which isn't to say I'm not considering those, too. I just don't want to buy something without considering something else, ie Superhawk. :)

My comfort is exponentially less important on this bike, since I'll just get a seat if needed, so I don't need a vfr type thing...

This will make bike #3 for this season, and since it's still May, I'd like to get something that I can spend the rest of the summer enjoying.

To recap: 2008 or newer, 600 to 1000cc, let's make a loose budget of $7500. There should be someplace around C-bus that can fix shit on it if it's over my head, ie, more involved that putting gas in the tank. At the same time, it should be relatively easy to figure things out if I buy a service manual for it.

Let the :flingpoo: begin.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of riding do you plan to do on this bike?

if memory serves, the 600RR was your first sportbike, right? I'd honestly say "buy an F4i."

But your desire for something newer, and even MORE sport-biased than you'll ever be able to use leads me to suggest Ducati 848.

really???:lol:

Yes, Moose. Really. I'll be over to pick up the vstar tomorrow, btw.

what kind of riding do you plan to do on this bike?

if memory serves, the 600RR was your first sportbike, right? I'd honestly say "buy an F4i."

But your desire for something newer, and even MORE sport-biased than you'll ever be able to use leads me to suggest Ducati 848.

Nope, my Katana was my first sport bike, followed by a gixxer, which was then followed by the 600RR. :)

not necessarily looking for MORE sport biased than the 600RR, just clarifying that I don't need to worry about my girlfriend being uncomfortable on the new one, since she'll never be on it. :)

Yes, Moose. Really. I'll be over to pick up the vstar tomorrow, btw.

Nope, my Katana was my first sport bike, followed by a gixxer, which was then followed by the 600RR. :)

not necessarily looking for MORE sport biased than the 600RR, just clarifying that I don't need to worry about my girlfriend being uncomfortable on the new one, since she'll never be on it. :)

I must have been thinking of a different member. I'll let the "katana is a sportbike" comment slide ;)

But I stand by the Ducati recommendation. 848's are sexy bikes, but have no business even pretending a passenger would want to be on one.

But I stand by the Ducati recommendation. 848's are sexy bikes, but have no business even pretending a passenger would want to be on one.

They are also still stupid expensive. I haven't seen any below $9000 yet. I've been looking.

my bikes are worth less than $5k combined, so I haven't exactly priced out 848's, but I would have thought they were available around $7500 via private party sale.

if not, I'd look at older Ducs. Just cool bikes, if you want something unique and have the cash.

I like a Ducati. Aren't they supposedly not very reliable, though? That's my main concern... The Triumph looks nice, too though.

Ducati's are reliable, just a little higher maintenance and cost.

The Triumph is a badass bike, it's won the Masterbike competition two years in a row. I wanted one before stumbling onto the Aprilia.

I like a Ducati. Aren't they supposedly not very reliable, though? That's my main concern... The Triumph looks nice, too though.

if you do get the ducati I know a guy on the board that can help ya with issues should they arise... Issac's Papa... he own's DUC Rx... and he's a helluva guy...

anything is going to be as reliable as you allow it to be. if you treat it like shit and beat it and don't take care of it, its not going to be reliable. if you maintain it, and stay on top of it, you shouldn't have any issues. Triumphs are great bikes, but again, as with ducati you have higher parts pricing, but I am in love with my triple and I wouldn't have it any other way.

of course, you could just pitch your rough budget in the trash...

002.jpg

Oh, BELIEVE me I've given the s1000rr plenty of thought. If I could find a way to justify it to myself, there would be one in my garage on June 21, no question.

anything is going to be as reliable as you allow it to be. if you treat it like shit and beat it and don't take care of it, its not going to be reliable. if you maintain it, and stay on top of it, you shouldn't have any issues. Triumphs are great bikes, but again, as with ducati you have higher parts pricing, but I am in love with my triple and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Agreed. I treat my Aprilia like shit and she keeps goi...oh wait. Oops.

:D