Skeet shotgun

scottb

While at the outdoor range, I was watching the 5 stand/ skeet shooting. This looks fun/challanging. I have not tried this yet, but think I want to. The outdoor shop rents shotguns for skeet, but not sure what kind. The range charges $6 to shoot 25 clays just to try skeet.

I currently have a Remington 870 pump shotgun with an 18 inch barrel. I dont think it will work out to well with that short of a barrel. The guys shooting had high dollar Benelli's, over under and some autoloaders. Kinda big money.

So my options are to get a 26 or 28 inch barrel for my 870, seen those new for $175 - $250. Plan B, get a new Mossburg 500 pump with 28 inch barrel for $259. Not sure how well racking a pump gun and trying to learn/shooting while aiming at a moving target will workout.

To goof proof skeet shooting, I thought about an "affordable" over under. Stoger (sp?) or a brand new, never used 2008 model Remington spr310 for $349. I figure this skeet gun will get used only a few times a year. I dont plan on hunting with it, just shooting skeet.

Anyone own this Remington over under spr310?

Anyone want to share what they are using for skeet?

While at the outdoor range, I was watching the 5 stand/ skeet shooting. This looks fun/challanging. I have not tried this yet, but think I want to. The outdoor shop rents shotguns for skeet, but not sure what kind. The range charges $6 to shoot 25 clays just to try skeet.

I currently have a Remington 870 pump shotgun with an 18 inch barrel. I dont think it will work out to well with that short of a barrel. The guys shooting had high dollar Benelli's, over under and some autoloaders. Kinda big money.

So my options are to get a 26 or 28 inch barrel for my 870, seen those new for $175 - $250. Plan B, get a new Mossburg 500 pump with 28 inch barrel for $259. Not sure how well racking a pump gun and trying to learn/shooting while aiming at a moving target will workout.

To goof proof skeet shooting, I thought about an "affordable" over under. Stoger (sp?) or a brand new, never used 2008 model Remington spr310 for $349. I figure this skeet gun will get used only a few times a year. I dont plan on hunting with it, just shooting skeet.

Anyone own this Remington over under spr310?

Anyone want to share what they are using for skeet?

Get a longer barrel for your 870. 28 is plenty, if you're really serious go for 34. You might try trap shooting first, (at the other end of the range) they throw singles and it will get you familiar with the moving target. It's definitely a lot of fun I don't think you'll be disappointed. BTW- there is a guy that has been state champ in sporting clays several years running, he shoots and 870 with a 34" barrel. My co-worker is big in to this sporting clays stuff, he has a $7500 Perazzi, but keeps an 870 for a back up.

I've been shooting skeet senice i was 8, it's a lot of fun but it gets expensive fast. just try it out with what you have, 18 is a little short if you have interchangeable choke tubes run a improved cylinder and #9 shot to start with. The long barrels are more for trap. Using a pump is a little harder but they only throw dubbles on stations 1,2,6 and 7 on the other stations it's no difference. I'm more of a semi-auto guy myself.

I like to go shooting trap and skeet but i never had an interest in blowing a lot of money doing it. I've shot just as well with my 500, 870, or my semi auto stoger as the guys with the high dollar guns. I always enjoyed going to the skeet range wearing my jeans and t shirt. Then shooting better than the guys that were standing there turning their noses up at me cuz i didn't look as fancy as them. From what I have seen the people who hunt often out shoot those that don't hunt. Even though their guns cost significantly less.

All right Scott when we going back to A&A with the 870's? Mine is a basic 870 express. So we will be even gun wise. I work with a guy who has the stoeger o/u from dicks and he shoots skeet pretty often. He seems to like it for the price. says it does just fine for his skill level.

All right Scott when we going back to A&A with the 870's? Mine is a basic 870 express. So we will be even gun wise. I work with a guy who has the stoeger o/u from dicks and he shoots skeet pretty often. He seems to like it for the price. says it does just fine for his skill level.

Are you working Saturday mornings? We can call A&A and see how that works to get the 25 clays for $6 deal. I am not sure if we need to get a few people to fill up all the spots on the stand, or how it will work with only 2 people.

I can try my 18 inch barral on my 870. If it starts to suck badly, i can rent a shotgun with a longer barrel and a choke.

use #7 1/2 shot or #8 if you only have cylinder choke, that is one very open pattern you have there, much better than too tight though.

my setup: 1970s 20 ga. Remington 1100, 28" barrel Skeet tube, using handmade secret recipe shells.

best setup I've ever used: 12 ga. beneli super black eagle 26" barrel, skeet tube, with AA #9.

I never got to liking the over/unders, besides who wants to clean two barrels?

maybe if i quit being poor we can go out and shoot.