Anyone familiar with Dallas / Ft. Worth?

Ziggy

I'm looking at possibly taking a transfer for promotion to the DFW area, and would be working east of the city in the suburb of Mesquite, TX. The money gained should be fairly significant over what I make right now, and from what I've been able to find, it looks like the cost of living is a little bit lower out there. What I wanna know is; Where are the good school districts? Where are the big traffic hang ups for commuting? What areas should I stay away from (crime and such)?

If I get the job, I'd like to buy a house on some property. I don't mind a thirty-ish minute commute (more riding time :D) so I can be pretty flexible with location, just don't wanna be in the "city".

Im there all the time. I was there last week actually.

School districts, I cant answer that.

If you dont like commutes, then you will hate DFW especially if you want a place with land. Dont even think about getting a place with land unless you expect an 1hr+ commute. All the highways down there are effing parking lots during commuting times. Actually, there is so much traffic down there that you can expect the highways to start filling a few hrs before work and a few hrs after. Not a 30 min traffic jam but a 20 min trip will take you 1hr+. Like I said, Im there all the time for work and I fly into Love Field and stay up in the Lewisville area. We go to FW and downtown for food, fun, drinks, etc, and like I said, the traffic is miserable.

Other then the horrible traffic, I like it out there quite a bit. Oh, and dont expect to find a house with a basement as from what Ive been told, they are below the water table so very few houses have basements.

Based on where Mesquite is and where DFW is, there is no way in hell I would live in DFW and work in Mesquite. You need to find something closer to where you work. You do realize there is a difference between Dallas, Fort worth, etc. right? Living in FW and working in Mesquite is like living in Upper Arlington Columbus and working in Pickerington... Its a helluva drive especially in their traffic.

Edited by flounder

I really don't mind a commute, and figure I'll be staying out of Dallas proper 98 percent of the time. Mesquite is on the East side of the city, and from what I can see on the map, looks to be fairly accessible as long as I don't go west of there. Traffic there can't be much worse than 71/75/275 in Cincinnati, right? Right now, I live just east of Kings Island, and work in Sharonville (just south of 275, in between 71 and 75), and depending on which way I go it is either 12 or 18 miles from my house, and routinely takes 35-45 minutes to commute.

I really don't mind a commute, and figure I'll be staying out of Dallas proper 98 percent of the time. Mesquite is on the East side of the city, and from what I can see on the map, looks to be fairly accessible as long as I don't go west of there. Traffic there can't be much worse than 71/75/275 in Cincinnati, right? Right now, I live just east of Kings Island, and work in Sharonville (just south of 275, in between 71 and 75), and depending on which way I go it is either 12 or 18 miles from my house, and routinely takes 35-45 minutes to commute.

I worked in Cincy for 5 months and I have to say the traffic in Dallas is worse. Even with 6 lanes each way, it still turns into a parking lot. Dont look at the map and assume accessibility based on the # of freeways. I would suggest pulling up google maps and using the traffic view during rush hour so you can get a better idea of flow. At those times of day, put in your route and see what google says the time is in traffic and then add another 30%.

I worked in Cincy for 5 months and I have to say the traffic in Dallas is worse. Even with 6 lanes each way, it still turns into a parking lot. Dont look at the map and assume accessibility based on the # of freeways. I would suggest pulling up google maps and using the traffic view during rush hour so you can get a better idea of flow. At those times of day, put in your route and see what google says the time is in traffic and then add another 30%.

I've never clicked the Traffic button on Google Maps before... That's cool. With any luck though, it'd only be a short time before I found the back way in and out of where I need to be so I wouldn't have to use the interstates as my only route in and out of work.

Kosmo: I'll check that site out, thanks!

I've never clicked the Traffic button on Google Maps before... That's cool. With any luck though, it'd only be a short time before I found the back way in and out of where I need to be so I wouldn't have to use the interstates as my only route in and out of work.

Kosmo: I'll check that site out, thanks!

Dont forget youre not the only one looking for a back way. I had to jump off the freeway for a back way one time so I could catch my flight and the back roads were just as bad as the freeway.

OMG I love DFW I lived just north in the highland village area. The lewisvill school district and it did wonders for me .The lewisvill/highland village area is very nice, it is just south of Denton. I would stay the fuck away from Plano. Shitty as place with a lot of drug problems in the past. I am really not to familier with the fort worth side of town but can't go to wrong. Summers are hot as balls and traffic can be a bitch.

DFW is a really good area. Tons of good school districts...esp in the suburbs of DFW. Lots of good living areas with relatively low crime rates. I wish I could give you exact locations....but i cant. good luck and definitely make the move.