World Cup anyone?

Gooner

I was just wondering if anyone had any interest in the football (soccer) world cup coming up.

In England, we remember the world cup in the USA where millions turned the channel (during a live game) to watch an actor called OJ SIMPSON get chased by the cops.

This talented actor had only been in 1 movie (the naked gun) so why you would stop watching a football match is beyond me.

Crazy crew fans/ hudson street hooligans are obviously going to be going as crazy as anyone else in the world, but what about the american football/baseball/hockey/basketball fan?

Who would be your next team if the USA got knocked out?

would you skip a day from work to watch any games?

Is this game worth your effort?

The funnier the better please. Oh and the magic spray they use on fallen players after recieving a tap is for sale!

I got shushed at a Crew game one time years ago, for cheering too much. Last MLS game I went to. I heard things have got a bit better, so I'm planning on going to a few games.

As for the World Cup, I'll be watching as many games as possible. I'm working on a project in a team with an American, a Dutch guy and a German - pub lunches will be interesting to say the least!!

Ah, 'tis a good time to be unemployed. I've been looking forward to the 2010 World Cup for...well, four years now. :D I just hope that maybe, just maybe for once team USA can avoid Red Card mayhem...that always seems to destroy us.

I really wish we had a stronger pool of strikers to choose from in the US, especially with Jozy being listed as day-to-day. I am not an Edson Buddle fan AT ALL. He always seems lazy and uninterested in the game whenever I see him on the pitch.

My big worry is Beasley. He was absolutely horrid in 2009. He has seemed to get his shiz together lately, but can he play consistently in this tournament? Hell, I honestly still don't know why Bradley kept him around that long though. That goes for Pearce as well, but at least he got cut in the end.

Secondary teams to root if USA drops early...I would root on Ghana and Ivory Coast. I always like watching the African teams because they seem to always play balls to the wall. It may not be pretty, but their endurance is admirable.

Luckily I don't have to skip work b/c as I said, I got laid off. :p I did skip school though for the 2002 World Cup. Nothing like making sure my arse was up at 3-4am to watch the USMNT play.

...I just wish we had a good pub around here to go watch the games.

...In England, we remember the world cup in the USA where millions turned the channel (during a live game) to watch an actor called OJ SIMPSON get chased by the cops.

I was watching an NBA playoff/finals game when O.J. ran... Didn't know soccer/football/whatever was even on the telly.

...Crazy crew fans/ hudson street hooligans are obviously going to be going as crazy as anyone else in the world, but what about the american football/baseball/hockey/basketball fan?

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the "average" American sports fan doesn't care all that much about soccer. Maybe the younger (<30) folks do, as they grew up with soccer as a sports option, but when I grew up (I'm 44) it just wasn't a choice, at least in Columbus.

Watching it on television, for me at least, is just awful. I went to one Crew game, and seeing it in person was better than watching on television.

Who would be your next team if the USA got knocked out?

I dunno. Switzerland, I guess, gotta root for my motherland.

would you skip a day from work to watch any games?

No.

Is this game worth your effort?...!

No. Sorry, just not a fan. I "get it" that "it's the most popular sport in the world", and that other countries go nuts about it, it's just not for me.

I got shushed at a Crew game one time years ago, for cheering too much. Last MLS game I went to. I heard things have got a bit better, so I'm planning on going to a few games.

As for the World Cup, I'll be watching as many games as possible. I'm working on a project in a team with an American, a Dutch guy and a German - pub lunches will be interesting to say the least!!

just depends on where you sit, if you're close to the corner by the stage then yes a lot don't care as its a big party over there. when you buy tix make sure you ask for this section or somewhere close by it, im sure you'll fit right in it sounds like

even though something like 80% of the Italy's team is not the same as their last World Cup victory I'll root for them.

Not really a soccer fan but its a good excuse to hit the bar on sundays before softball games :lol:

USA and Spain, in no particular order. Being a Barca fan, I know a lot more of the spanish national team than the US national team actually. Spanish national team is practically the all star team anyway.

Viva Espana!

Edited by smashweights

Yeah, South Africa is in a tough group, I would be surprised to see them advance. Unfortunate for the home team...

PPV, no cable? I know ESPN said that they will be broadcasting all of the matches live either on ESPN, ESPN2 and/or ABC, as well as in HD.

Also, most of the matches will be simulcasted on ESPN360.com, that is, if you are with an Internet Service Provider provider that supports it...Time Warner is not one of them. :( If you go to the site though, you can check to see if your provider does.

Yeah, I heard England is still pretty much indifferent to you mate. And to me come to think of it.

These days at games, I feel like I'm supporting England mostly out of pity - you know rooting for the underdog just because they are so plucky. While it will be cool to watch Stevie Gerrard lift the trophy, the best I'm really hoping for is a tearful exit on penalties in the quarters or semi final. Our trademark!

I'll cheer USA on though if they go through and England don't. (stranger things have happened).

Or Spain maybe, but only cos half the Liverpool team will be there.

Or Spain maybe, but only cos half the Liverpool team will be there.

spain's lineup is pretty stacked with Torres, Villa, Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Puyol, Ramos, Fabregas, and two of the best keepers in the world in Casillas and Valdes.