Bug out bag, survival kit

chevysoldier

I think I see the general idea, but what exactly is it, & where does one acquire it? ;)

Available at Walmart or anywhere they have a camping section. About 5 bucks. You strike that magnesium ridge with the back of your pocket knife and it makes a lot of sparks. Point it at kindling and you have a fire. The point of it is that it lasts practically forever and you can't always rely on lighters.

Available at Walmart or anywhere they have a camping section. About 5 bucks. You strike that magnesium ridge with the back of your pocket knife and it makes a lot of sparks. Point it at kindling and you have a fire. The point of it is that it lasts practically forever and you can't always rely on lighters.

VERY cool... I've never seen them there before, but will definitely be picking a few up!

What's that bottom "shaving edge" though?

VERY cool... I've never seen them there before, but will definitely be picking a few up!

What's that bottom "shaving edge" though?

It's not for shaving your face. It's made of magnesium and you shave off a little pile of it right by your kindling, then you flip it over and strike the sparking insert at it. When those sparks hit the magnesium shavings, it makes a hell of a flare. Makes starting a fire real easy.

The magnesium we have at work takes a torch to light? and that is around a 100mesh powder much finer then the shaving would be? But when it light yeah that stuff would light wet wood on fire real quick. When it is on fire it will burn about anything lol!

The magnesium burns so hot it's white. And it works while wet also.

Magnesium is a highly flammable metal, but while it is easy to ignite when powdered or shaved into thin strips, it is difficult to ignite in mass or bulk. Once ignited, it is difficult to extinguish, being able to burn in nitrogen (forming magnesium nitride), carbon dioxide (forming magnesium oxide and carbon) and water (forming magnesium oxide and hydrogen). This property was used in incendiary weapons used in the firebombing of cities in World War II, the only practical civil defense being to smother a burning flare under dry sand to exclude the atmosphere. On burning in air, magnesium produces a brilliant white light. Thus magnesium powder (flash powder) was used as a source of illumination in the early days of photography. Later, magnesium ribbon was used in electrically ignited flash bulbs. Magnesium powder is used in the manufacture of fireworks and marine flares where a brilliant white light is required. Flame temperatures of magnesium and magnesium alloys can reach 3,100 °C (3,370 K; 5,610 °F) [7], although flame height above the burning metal is usually less than 300 mm (12 in).[8] Magnesium may be used as an ignition source for thermite, an otherwise difficult to ignite mixture of aluminium and iron oxide powder.
Edited by chevysoldier

hahaha, I know what is missing from the list...

a fork

a spoon

edit: and you don't lose those, you keep them in a pocket, with you at all times...

Edited by ReconRat

Yeah mag burns when wet! ever seen a mag fire when hit with water!BOOM We use to do a controled burn for our fire safety class at work and they use to hit the burning mag with a little water to show what happens. Was always funny to have a new guy in class that never saw it before they always jumped. Don't need a fork and spoon just use your fingers LOL!

I'm digging a hole in the backyard. Its going to be my secret bomb shelter. Aw shit, now everybody knows about it.

Funny, I had a friend with a tunnel/hallway between the house and the separate garage. Solid concrete. Steel doors on both ends. Excellent.

• 2 years later...
Get some books from the library on edible plants in Ohio.

People can survive on plants quite well, as long as it isn't Winter.

Pick one of the books that you like and buy a copy.

If it's Winter, you'll learn to hunt small animals while hungry.

Great list of books on wild edible plants (scroll down)

http://foraging.com/