Walk-In for MSF/BRC

sParkSnare

No shit Cheech! That was BY FAR the worst! Although, riding around in first gear and getting yelled at for getting in second was shitty too...

seems a bit over the top... :eek: haven't heard of instructors getting their knickers in a knot over a 2nd gear shift.

mostly they dont care so long as you finish the routine in the right gear (1st stopped)

So which is the better course to take? MSF or BRC? I know they both allow you to bypass they states riding test upon completion, but the cost difference is huge. $300ish for the MSF to $25 for the BRC??

The BRC is a course that is developed and put on by the MSF. I think what you want to know is the difference between taking it through Motorcycle Ohio, or a third party, usually a dealership. I would say that someone that needs more time, is timid, or even scared, etc should pay to take it through a third party, as they usually have smaller classes, and are able to devote more time to an individual to help them through it. If you are already riding, and aren't scared of the bike, go through M-O and save some cash, and still have a very good learning experience.

Jporter is pretty much right on. The BRC is curriculum provided by MSF and offered to Ohioans through Motorcycle Ohio. An independent dealer such as Hinderer or Rider's Edge still uses the same workbooks and range exercises but may stray from the tight schedule used by MO. The skills you can acquire are exactly the same and any class you take can potentially save your butt. For as long as you ride and remember what you learn, this class will have value. So if you have the cash now, take the class when it's available!

• 1 month later...

I think the big advantage of the private courses is you can sign up for a class in a couple weeks and have a opening. Or you can sign up 6 months ahead and save $25. I'm a cheapskate but didn't have the time to try walk in so I waited signed up for a late season class that still had openings.

Good thing there were not any walk ins when I took the course last fall. It was one of the last classes of the year. I arrived early to the college campus where the course was offer and asked where the class was. They told me the right building but wrong room. A couple phone calls to the registration and I finally figured out where the room was and walked in 5 min late. No problem as it wasn't even a full class.

It was cool with a slight drizzle the first day and a little better weather the second day but I really enjoyed both and learned alot. Good thing too as it was my first time riding a motorcycle and the test at the end of the second day was not the easiest to pass with so little experience. :eek:

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

• 3 weeks later...