Bryce Harper?

CattaniAFJ

Anyone a baseball fan?

What do you think about Bryce Harper? Will he live up to the hype? What will his signing bonus be? Will he play Rookie, A, AA, AAA, MLB? When will he hit these mile stones?

Just curious what others think...

Ok. Yeah. I've heard of him. It sound likes he is the real deal. I heard he's been known to knock balls all over the park. With Strasburg pitching and his bat the Nationals could be an exciting team next year.

He definitely will not start any higher than AAA. The Nationals GM isn't known for rushing picks straight to the majors. I think he'll get a hefty signing bonus considering he and Strasburg have the same agent.

I agree. You should youtube some of his videos, crazy fast bat speed.

I'll say he will probably play a month of Rookie ball then jump to AA and stay there for a while. He will be a #3 hitter in the bigs in 3 years, you heard it here first.

Strasburg got a record $14.1M signing bonus (also touted as the greatest pitching prospect of all time) and Boras will be asking more for Harper. I'm going to say $16-18M signing bonus.

I'll check them out. I'm ready to see the Reds phenom pitcher Chapman take the mound. He pitched in Columbus last week and by the time I found out he was going to be the pitcher it was too late to make plans for the game.

Didn't they say the same about Griffey? I'm honestly asking...

I don't believe so. He was such a natural and has had the sweetest sing in baseball IMO. Not to mention he had fun and had this flare about him if you will

Harper on the other hand is rough around the edges, will be learning a new position (though they make it seem harder than it is) and his swing needs work. High school pitching is a worlds different than Minor League which is worlds below Major League pitching.

Don't get me wrong it'd be cool if he lives up to the hype but I just don't see it happening

I don't believe so. He was such a natural and has had the sweetest sing in baseball IMO. Not to mention he had fun and had this flare about him if you will

Harper on the other hand is rough around the edges, will be learning a new position (though they make it seem harder than it is) and his swing needs work. High school pitching is a worlds different than Minor League which is worlds below Major League pitching.

Don't get me wrong it'd be cool if he lives up to the hype but I just don't see it happening

Well, Griff had a sick swing for sure. Have you watched any youtube videos of Bryce? I was EXTREMELY iffy about him when I heard of him on ESPN a while back until I saw the videos. Keep in mind, this 17 year old kid went to a JUCO baseball powerhouse and embarrassed those pitchers...badly. He played 62 games as a freshman and hit .442 w/ 29HR and 89RBI (I believe all school records). The record for HR in a season before Bryce was 12. This kid has all the tools necessary and a genuine love for the game (IMO). His biggest issue will be dealing with failure and not getting burned out on the game.

He doesn't look beat to shit, but GLWS Bryce Harper!

I love Junior! You also have to look at the fact that JR came STRAIGHT to the pros out of HS at 18....now he's going to be a HOFer. If Bryce Harper doesn't pull some dumb shit like Josh Hamilton, he may be on the same path, maybe.

I love Junior! You also have to look at the fact that JR came STRAIGHT to the pros out of HS at 18....now he's going to be a HOFer. If Bryce Harper doesn't pull some dumb shit like Josh Hamilton, he may be on the same path, maybe.

There are some reports of his off the field issues, whether this is true or not I have no idea but if there is a reason he fizzles its off the field stuff or unable to adjust to MLB pitching

There are some reports of his off the field issues, whether this is true or not I have no idea but if there is a reason he fizzles its off the field stuff or unable to adjust to MLB pitching

What off the field issues are you talking about? I haven't heard. Do tell!

Also, I don't see an issue w/ him adjusting to MLB pitching, based on his numbers and his swing. He keeps the bat at a nice angle through the strike zone. Did some of the "greats" have these numbers at his age or in college? I don't think they did, but I'll have to do some research.

What off the field issues are you talking about? I haven't heard. Do tell!

Also, I don't see an issue w/ him adjusting to MLB pitching, based on his numbers and his swing. He keeps the bat at a nice angle through the strike zone. Did some of the "greats" have these numbers at his age or in college? I don't think they did, but I'll have to do some research.

Honestly, I don't know details. It was a pretty vague cast of comments on ESPN about it, only way I "know" persay

Hopefully, I guess because its baseball I'm pessimistic to overhyped players because they often rarely live up to expectation. It is definitely the hardest sport to translate future potential.

But look at Strausburg (sp?). Touted as the greatest pitching prospect of all time! He set a few records w/ his debut start.

Pitching is way different though. IMO the odds are in a pitchers favor to succeed more than hitters. Secondly, I'd like to point out Homer Bailey for ya. Had an amazing first game or 2 and now where is he, middle of the rotation guy at best

But look at Strausburg (sp?). Touted as the greatest pitching prospect of all time! He set a few records w/ his debut start.

He's supposed to pitch in Cleveland this weekend. The Indians have one of the lowest attendance records at the gate this year and once they announced he was going to pitch sales went through the roof. lol.

Good call on that one. Although, I don't think Homer was even 1/2 as highly touted as Strauss

Nationally defintely not, but within the organization and fan base he was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread :lol:

He's supposed to pitch in Cleveland this weekend. The Indians have one of the lowest attendance records at the gate this year and once they announced he was going to pitch sales went through the roof. lol.

they've sold an additional 1,000 tickets since the end of his first start. Another 3-4,000 anticpating his 2nd start here. Indians are pathetic but I still gotta love em