so whos addicted??

Hoblick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one day under my belt so far but the simple fact of being able to push my limits without fear of oncoming traffic, gravel, cops, deer, etc makes the track totally addicting. I will definitely be doing it again.

Only one day under my belt so far but the simple fact of being able to push my limits without fear of oncoming traffic, gravel, cops, deer, etc makes the track totally addicting. I will definitely be doing it again.

I think we know these loving creatures do show up on the track. I'm sure I saw that thread..

Tires are not cheap, but if you can source take offs or other good deals you'll be fine. I'm already on my 2nd set of tires this season and I only have 300 wrapped up in 2 sets. I always see plenty of people at track days with their street bikes

it's really no more expensive than any other hobby. Once the initial cost is out of the way it's really not that bad. Compare it to....say photography. People spend 1,000's on cameras, flashes, and everything else. It really depends on what your into and how much effort your willing to put into bargain hunting.

like above its only as expensive as you make it.. some people only do 1-2 days a year.. thats nothing really i the scheme of things.. then there are some like myself my wife and josh and andy we do about 1 a month thats about 6-7 a yr its gets a bit rough there at times.. then there are others that do 1-2 everyweekend. ya i cant afford that... lol

i'm not as cool as some other guys and haven't progressed as quickly, so I'll keep doing track days til I feel more comfy going "fast" (whatever that is). maybe then i'll have the balls to go racing. doubtful.

don't worry about how quickly you're progressing.

I'm starting my third year of track riding, and there are people who started after me that are faster than me, and people who started long before me who I've surpassed.

It's not a contest... If you're having fun (and being safe), you're doing it right.

thats right.. your there to learn and have a great time.. its not a race(i know there are so many that will beat me for that one.. lol) but its not. about whos fastest, who gets their knee down the most or whatever its learning how to become a quicker safer more consistant rider and with that will come the speed and better times.. then you graduate and become a racer if you so desire then it is a race :)

costs can be kept relatively low with good planning. Things I've learned:

- CAMP. it's never cost me more than $25 to camp. Usually more like $10. hotels are at least $60.

- use a truck, if you can. Trailers add to tolls a LOT.

- Don't go to tracks via toll road! see above. Putnam is about an hour further from me than Gingerman, but I'll be at Putnam more often because the tolls to get to Gingerman make it a lot more expensive.

- don't buy more tire than you need. I'm running a fast I/slow A pace on Dunlop Qualifiers. They last for freakin' ever. Even at my pace, I get at least 6 days out of a rear, and double that out of a front. I count on 2 rears, 1 front, and 1 set of brake pads each season. ends up about $450. Less if you get good deals on tires. You don't need "DOT race" tires to do trackdays. You also don't need tire warmers, etc. Those things certainly help, but if they're not in the budget, they're not in the budget.

- have a cheap bike. $5k is the most i'd think of spending on a track bike, unless i was serious about racing.

- have a small bike. Less power = longer tire life. My buddy Jeff absolutely destroyed a Dunlop 209 in one day on Sunday. he rides basically the same pace as me (can't catch me, but I can't pass him, so you figure it out), and demolished his tire under acceleration on his 1000RR. My 600 is a little kinder, and an SV650 is even better.

- do 2 days at a time. Most orgs give you a discount on the second consecutive day, and you're getting twice the riding out of the same travel costs.

- buy credits in bulk. Not sure how other orgs do it, but if you buy $500 in credits from NESBA, they give you $575. That makes your membership free, and sets you up to pay very little 'extra' on two full weekends at Putnam.

- buy events in the for-sale section. People freaked about the weather at Beave this past weekend and were trying to unload their $165 events for $125. I wish I'd been able to take advantage of that!

I would love to try and go to a track but one thing I'm not hearing from you guys is the one thing that has keep me from doing this..

Don't you go through tires like crazy? thats the expense that i was thinking of. tires are not cheap to be burning them up in one day..

This will depend on the tires used and the track you go to. I have 13 days on my pilot powers right now and they are still on the bike. This is a combination of intermediate and novice with a race thrown in too.

costs can be kept relatively low with good planning. Things I've learned:

- CAMP. it's never cost me more than $25 to camp. Usually more like $10. hotels are at least $60.

- use a truck, if you can. Trailers add to tolls a LOT.

- Don't go to tracks via toll road! see above. Putnam is about an hour further from me than Gingerman, but I'll be at Putnam more often because the tolls to get to Gingerman make it a lot more expensive.

- don't buy more tire than you need. I'm running a fast I/slow A pace on Dunlop Qualifiers. They last for freakin' ever. Even at my pace, I get at least 6 days out of a rear, and double that out of a front. I count on 2 rears, 1 front, and 1 set of brake pads each season. ends up about $450. Less if you get good deals on tires. You don't need "DOT race" tires to do trackdays. You also don't need tire warmers, etc. Those things certainly help, but if they're not in the budget, they're not in the budget.

- have a cheap bike. $5k is the most i'd think of spending on a track bike, unless i was serious about racing.

- have a small bike. Less power = longer tire life. My buddy Jeff absolutely destroyed a Dunlop 209 in one day on Sunday. he rides basically the same pace as me (can't catch me, but I can't pass him, so you figure it out), and demolished his tire under acceleration on his 1000RR. My 600 is a little kinder, and an SV650 is even better.

- do 2 days at a time. Most orgs give you a discount on the second consecutive day, and you're getting twice the riding out of the same travel costs.

- buy credits in bulk. Not sure how other orgs do it, but if you buy $500 in credits from NESBA, they give you $575. That makes your membership free, and sets you up to pay very little 'extra' on two full weekends at Putnam.

- buy events in the for-sale section. People freaked about the weather at Beave this past weekend and were trying to unload their $165 events for $125. I wish I'd been able to take advantage of that!

Good advice and info man.