replaced water pump, engine temp still high

GSX-R

I just replaced my water pump on my 07 gsxr 750 and bled the anti-freeze but the engine temp continues to get really hot until I turn it off. I saw on a diff website that someone had the same issue and he took the water pump off and back on again and everything worked fine... any ideas?

change the thermostat. and make sure your radiator is clean. if you've been using tap water in it, it's probably plugged up with calcium deposits. using a vinegar solution works for breaking that stuff down. and is often recommended by service manuals for most cars etc.

or confirm your temp is correct with other means. such as a infrared thermometer. check it at the inlet neck in the head.

that's where the coolant sensors are usually located for most engines.

water pumps are not a magical device that keeps your engine cool. it's a solid impeller on a shaft that circulates the water when the engine is running.

the only thing that fails on a water pump is the seals. if the impeller breaks, you probably have bigger issues. like motor damage.

the thermostat is the only thing that controls the temps of your engine. they fail. it's just part of their design limits.

run without one, the engine never heats up enough

run with one not functioning (opening) then your engine over heats.

Edited by serpentracer

change the thermostat. and make sure your radiator is clean. if you've been using tap water in it, it's probably plugged up with calcium deposits. using a vinegar solution works for breaking that stuff down. and is often recommended by service manuals for most cars etc.

or confirm your temp is correct with other means. such as a infrared thermometer. check it at the inlet neck in the head.

that's where the coolant sensors are usually located for most engines.

water pumps are not a magical device that keeps your engine cool. it's a solid impeller on a shaft that circulates the water when the engine is running.

the only thing that fails on a water pump is the seals. if the impeller breaks, you probably have bigger issues. like motor damage.

the thermostat is the only thing that controls the temps of your engine. they fail. it's just part of their design limits.

run without one, the engine never heats up enough

run with one not functioning (opening) then your engine over heats.

What he said. Check the temp with another device. Check to see if the upper radiator hose is hot. It should be hot and under pressure. Lower hose should be cooler. Are the fins on the radiator in good condition, is the inside corroded up?

I'd just pull the thermostat and replace it.

Water pump bearings fail as well. Had one on a camry (I think) that locked up and broke the timing belt. Another on an F150 that the bearing went out and the fan vibrated the whole truck like crazy.

Edited by chevysoldier

He probably didn't change out the muffler bearings or the flush the blinker fluid. Only way to fix it is by adding a bottle of NOS to the fuel tank

sam you might right that could be the problem and not using the right antifreeze.

It can only be one of three things, 1) not bled properly, 2) bad t-stat or 3) bad temp sensor. Recheck do the bleeding procedure (this usually means tipping the bike from side to side as far as possible to release trapped air and on some years there's a little screw on top of the t-stat housing that gets removed to release trapped air also). Hook up a meter to the temp. sensor. I'm guessing since the fan is coming on and you're getting a temp on the instrument panel it should be good but double check it. Lastly, just replace the t-stat.

And don't use tap water, buy some distilled water from the store if you need to mix your coolant.

hey thanks for the people who gave me a legit answer I'm going to try what you all have suggested and i'll to keep you updated; for the people who gave me shit for just asking a question, you probably had no idea what to do about the issue in the first place. Thanks everyone!

hey thanks for the people who gave me a legit answer I'm going to try what you all have suggested and i'll to keep you updated; for the people who gave me shit for just asking a question, you probably had no idea what to do about the issue in the first place. Thanks everyone!

Nah, we just dont waste our time with dumb fucks like you

I fail at life? because I'm having a heating issue with my bike? damn let me go burn my college degrees and sell my house i just dont know what to do with myself... can someone who has a technical knowledge of bike repairs please help me with my tstat issue???

And why are you having issues with your POS? Hmmm, could be because you bought it, didn't put insurance on it and the wiped out after having it for a few hours.

No gear

No insurance

No endorsement

Yep, you're retarded