2008 R6 Performance Parts

Decimation

I've done a few aesthetic things with my bike, now my next thing is to add something to the mechanics. I've got a few ideas, but some words of advice from the experienced guys would be sound volume. On my list, I have:

K&N Racing Filter (K&N advises not using this unless your bike is "tuned for racing". Is it really that big of an issue?)

Sprockets (Not sure what to do; I want more torque and sacrificing top speed doesn't bother me)

Power Commander? (I was told that Power Commanders don't make much of a difference on the newer R6s?)

I'm not really sure what else I could do. I'm not trying to make a straight-line warrior, but I would like to have some more acceleration. As I said, sacrificing top speed isn't an issue because I don't plan on going 150-170 mph on the road, any time soon. Any help would be great.

Also, while I'm here, how far past the "wear indicator" on your tires can you generally go? I'm pretty much on the indicator, but there are still some "valleys" in the treads. They seem fine to me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do sprockets and a chain for now. That'll give you the grunt you're looking for. R6 forums will definitely have a bunch of people sharing their "ideal" setups. For the Aprilia guys it's 16/44 which equates to +2 in the rear. Effectively gears it down and gives it more grunt.

If you absolutely positively have to have a K&N, just get the regular K&N panel filter.

Don't expect to get a whole lot of gains from that motor, it seems to be on the ragged edge of performance as is.

leave the stock filter in, I would suggest a -1/+1 for gearing. I think the PC can be beneficial even with stock pipe and filter if you get a decent tune as the bikes are tune down for emissions, I would do smog block off plates also though before you do a tune.

I don't know...I guess I'm just a picky faggot. I learned how to ride on that bike. It just seems like I lost some power in it. I meant to ask you about that issue, Isaac's Papa. It's making a weird throaty noise and someone told me that it may be an EXUP issue. I'm positive it isn't in my head, because I know what it sounded like before.

basically natedogg covered everything. My 2cents is start with -1/+2 sprocket and 520 chain along with a speedohealer and take it from there. I had this on my 600RR and it was absolutely awesome and like you I didn't care about the top speed since as a new rider I knew I wouldn't be attempting that anytime soon. The only annoying thing about it on mine was that it ran at higher rpm causing the ghetto rigged "gutted exhaust" to just freaking scream

Edited by Bad324

there is no power with the exup, its a noise deal, just extra weight. plus any aftermarket slipon you'll get does not have an exup valve to connect to in which they require you to move it anyway, including top brands such as leo vince, akrapovic, and even yamaha's own Graves brand.

From Wiki:

A 4-stroke power valve is a device fitted to four stroke engines that constantly adjusts the internal diameter of the exhaust system to better suit engine speed. At low engine speeds the wave pressure within the pipe network is low. A full oscillation of the Helmholtz resonance occurs before the exhaust valve is closed, and to increase low-speed torque, large-amplitude exhaust pressure waves are artificially induced. This is achieved by partial closing of an internal butterfly valve within the exhaust at the point where the four primary pipes from the cylinders join. This junction point essentially behaves as an artificial atmosphere. The alteration of the pressure at this point controls the behavior of reflected waves at this sudden increase in area discontinuity. Closing the valve increases the local pressure, inducing the formation of larger-amplitude negative reflected expansion waves. A servo motor controlled by the ECU opens and shuts the valve.[1] The valve goes from being almost fully closed at idle speed, through to fully open at higher engine speeds. This ensures superior low to mid-range performance, more linear power output and reduced exhaust noise levels while the valve is in its reduced opening position.

Yamaha was the first to develop such a system, called the Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve (EXUP).[1] It is found on such models as the R6, R1, XV1900, MT-01 and Apex snowmobiles.

But I suppose the low to mid-range performance wouldn't be so much of an issue if you were going to change the gearing, right?

there is no power with the exup, its a noise deal, just extra weight. plus any aftermarket slipon you'll get does not have an exup valve to connect to in which they require you to move it anyway, including top brands such as leo vince, akrapovic, and even yamaha's own Graves brand.

I got halfway through your post and realized I trust people way too much.

I've done nothing but hook up LEDs to the battery and lube the chain.

o sorry this explains everything, i'll retract everything i said. you need more LED's and some flames with skulls to get rid of the throaty noise and make your bike go faster. and make sure to get tinted lens covers so it'll go even faster since you've already got those sweet smoked flushies dude.

Edited by natedogg624

o sorry this explains everything, i'll retract everything i said. You need more led's and some flames with skulls to get rid of the throaty noise and make your bike go faster. And make sure to get tinted lens covers so it'll go even faster since you've already got those sweet smoked flushies dude.

o shit u mad brah