BP Oil Spill Plugged

chevysoldier

:banana:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

NEW ORLEANS – The oil has stopped. For now.

After 85 days and up to 184 million gallons, BP finally gained control over one of America's biggest environmental catastrophes Thursday by placing a carefully fitted cap over a runaway geyser that has been gushing crude into the Gulf of Mexico since early spring...

If the cap holds, if the sea floor doesn't crack and if the relief wells being prepared are completed successfully, this could be the beginning of the end for the spill. But that's a lot of ifs, and no one was declaring any sort of victory beyond the moment.

The oil stopped flowing at 3:25 p.m. EDT when the last of three valves in the 75-ton cap was slowly throttled shut. That set off a 48-hour watch period in which — much like the hours immediately after a surgery — the patient was in stable, guarded condition and being watched closely for complications.

Live Feeds: http://www.bp.com/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9034366&contentId=7063636

Edited by chevysoldier

Oh, it's not done. This will continue to be a nightmare, way to much pressure there.

They need to rig something to the valves on the cap to pipe the oil into tankers, or to a refinery onshore.

Looking at what I just typed, I know it CAN'T be that easy, but they need to do something before it blows the cap off again.

They are planning on opening the cap back up after an up to 48 hour testing period to start siphoning the oil into two ships again. Apparently they are bringing two more ships in to be able to siphon up to a total or 80,000 barrels a day. Even if the cap shows good signs in the pressure testing that it's not failing, they are going to open it back up so they don't lose out on any oil profits

when i first heard that they had managed to plug the big black gusher, i thought to myself, "so UP finally got that vasectomy"

but you were talking about THAT spill. yeah, that's kewl. i know how they can clean it up... us clevelanders know all about that shit: just light entire gulf on fire. it'll burn it clean, son. wut wut

when i first heard that they had managed to plug the big black gusher, i thought to myself, "so UP finally got that vasectomy"

but you were talking about THAT spill. yeah, that's kewl. i know how they can clean it up... us clevelanders know all about that shit: just light entire gulf on fire. it'll burn it clean, son. wut wut

Jizzbot never fails to deliver! :lol:

They are planning on opening the cap back up after an up to 48 hour testing period to start siphoning the oil into two ships again. Apparently they are bringing two more ships in to be able to siphon up to a total or 80,000 barrels a day. Even if the cap shows good signs in the pressure testing that it's not failing, they are going to open it back up so they don't lose out on any oil profits

it's amazing to me how many people still think they are using this well for production. Seriously, stop listening to whoever the hell is feeding you this shit, put your critical thinking hat on, pull your big-boy pants up, and go read something that has some actual information on this. I'd start with the daily threads at www.theoildrum.com. LOADS of good information there, these guys are part of the biz and aren't some talking head asshole on TV.

it's amazing to me how many people still think they are using this well for production. Seriously, stop listening to whoever the hell is feeding you this shit, put your critical thinking hat on, pull your big-boy pants up, and go read something that has some actual information on this. I'd start with the daily threads at www.theoildrum.com. LOADS of good information there, these guys are part of the biz and aren't some talking head asshole on TV.

Office_Space_lumberg.gif Ummmm.... Yeeeaaahh

You'll have to excuse me if I'm a bit distrustful of "guys who are part of the biz" at this point ;)

They have just as much a vested interest as the "talking heads".... Just to the opposite bias

Office_Space_lumberg.gif Ummmm.... Yeeeaaahh

You'll have to excuse me if I'm a bit distrustful of "guys who are part of the biz" at this point ;)

They have just as much a vested interest as the "talking heads".... Just to the opposite bias

If you're trying to find out information on a car, do you a) talk to knowledgeable, licensed independent mechanic who does this kind of thing for a living, b) talk to some guy who professes himself as a "car guy", but his only real qualification is he managed 3 levels above the mechanics in option A, or c) talk to the salesman directly without verifying any of this statements?

If you're trying to find out information on a car, do you a) talk to knowledgeable, licensed independent mechanic who does this kind of thing for a living, b) talk to some guy who professes himself as a "car guy", but his only real qualification is he managed 3 levels above the mechanics in option A, or c) talk to the salesman directly without verifying any of this statements?

i'm not commenting on the "street cred" of the blogger, but from what i saw, isn't he a loan broker for alternative energy industry (specifically wind mills maybe?)

so to say he's "in the biz" is like saying "PETA is in the biz of fur coat marketing"

dang, that www.theoildrum.com is a good link. I was wondering about the plumes off to the sides of the borehole. They say that those are maybe 0.5ppm, which is so low we could probably drink it ok if it was fresh water. We could probably smell that small of an amount.

edit: btw, I'm astounded by media that talks about the horrendous pressures of the well and flow. Durrrr.... it's at great depth in the ocean, which is great pressure comparatively. Granted that if that pressure were released at the surface of the ocean, it would probably shoot out into space and try to move the entire planet. But that's not the way it works at depth, it expands relatively slowly in volume instead.

Edited by ReconRat