1978 cb550k

FranknStein

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

550.jpg

WOW that thing looks just like the one my dad's buddy used to have when they first started riding together 30+ years ago :cool:

His may have been the F that Tom was talkin' about though.... I always used to think it was pretty sporty lookin'

Same exact tank paint though

WOW that thing looks just like the one my dad's buddy used to have when they first started riding together 30+ years ago :cool:

His may have been the F that Tom was talkin' about though.... I always used to think it was pretty sporty lookin'

Same exact tank paint though

The F model 550 had 4 into 1 headers, slightly different side covers, and Mikuni 32mm? carbs. That's about it, other than slight differences in the frame, airbox, whatever. That's not saying every part will swap between the two.

Here's a couple more pics/ideas I found for 'ya.....

_ASC1013.jpg

http://caferacers.wordpress.com/2009/02/22/honda-cb550-chopdrag-bike/

honda_cb550_chop_01.jpg

Not a full cafe'.... But still looks cool with the drop down bars

CB550yellow.jpg

This one's absolutely badazzz lookin'!

mbcb7bc.jpg

81195c982f4e546725548c04d0e6ce72.jpg

e0e63796c074d953bfbc0e65ef0eac4c.JPG

Not a 550, but I get chubby every time I see pix of this GoldWing.....

a2fee_naked_honda_gold_wing_500.jpg

Here's a ton of pix.....

http://www.google.com/images?q=honda%20cb550f&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=543

And what sounds like another guy like you, only on a '76f....

http://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/my-honda-cb550-bike-restoration-project-19365/

I think this might be what Tom was referring to up above....

....but the Dyna S ignition is available for the SOHC4 Hondas - about $100-140. It replaces the points and condensors with a CDI unit, all of which fits under the points cover.

It also eliminates the "SOHC4 dies when I ride it in the rain" problem, because the points will foul out once the points cover seal gets old...

The Dyna S is worth every bloody penny and then some. For a 550, you can use the same unit a 500 or 750 SOHC/4 uses.

dynaS.jpg

Edited by Fonzie

OR had a hiccup... the yellow bike is an F model. The side cover is more triangular, the regular is a box shape with the lip on the forward edge around the carb to airbox connections.

Here's another one like yours......

CB_550_four_k3-one_002.JPG

Weird though.... It says it's a K, but only has the 2 pipes, where yours has 4??

CB_550_four_k3-two_003.JPG

Edited by Fonzie

Here's a '78 like yours in St. Louis. Used to have a Windjammer on it??

n516052131_2097734_366929.jpg

You get a chance, read that kid's progress thread I posted. He's got a lot of pix in there & some good info, though his is a '76 IIRC

Here's another one like yours......

Weird though.... It says it's a K, but only has the 2 pipes, where yours has 4??

Those are aftermarket exhaust pipes and cans. Stock pipes are very expensive, and most people option out for lower cost stuff. Even aftermarket pipes can be a bit difficult to find in the USA. Canada and Europe have more options, since the bike is still very popular in those places. (Australia and New Zealand also.)