Infractions

Todd#43

Wow...

Who knew that infractions come via PM complete with snarky comments?

Dear Todd#43,

You have received an infraction at Ohio Riders.

Reason:

-------

Annoying the mods/admins

Psst ... Here you go.

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Please do not reply to this message, as this private message box is not reviewed. Instead, if you feel this was in error, please contact us via this link.

All the best,

Ohio Riders

Yeah....about what I'd expect from a few people around here.

I have no beef in this convo....But too much moderation does ruin Good Forums in a heartbeat...Especially when the moderators stick together like a pack of wolves and no one outside their click can be right.

I also posted this in the other thread.

Did Todd change his stance? Is he a liberal now? He's sure whining like one...

Wow.

FTR, I haven't changed my stance. I just didn't expect a snarky comment from from someone who had been elevated to "moderator" status.

I guess basically all that does is give you the opportunity to fuck with people with no backlash.

make everyone a moderator and even the score.

That's a very liberal thing to say, kinda like spreading the wealth.

Exactly.

Make it "fair and balanced".

We can all hand out "infractions" at will.

Oh wait, we tried that before.

The rep system didn't "work", and neither does the pack mentality with the new keepers of the rep system.

I'm sure its a daunting task to keep some type of lid on most of us here and its certainly more work than one person should have to attend to as a "hobby". However, when you give the "power" to a few you can be damn sure that it will be abused in very short order. I think that's been proven here time and time again.

As an alternative, I'd suggest that moderators NOT be able to pass out "infractions" unless a complaint has been lodged by another member. At that point whoever monitors the "moderator" mail box can make a decision on what punishment can be meted out. In most cases, a simple PM stating "that was outta line" can work wonders. We're all adults here (well most of us are anyway.)

There - "positive" constructive criticism.

Or am I still being to negative?

Exactly.

Make it "fair and balanced".

We can all hand out "infractions" at will.

Oh wait, we tried that before.

The rep system didn't "work", and neither does the pack mentality with the new keepers of the rep system.

I'm sure its a daunting task to keep some type of lid on most of us here and its certainly more work than one person should have to attend to as a "hobby". However, when you give the "power" to a few you can be damn sure that it will be abused in very short order. I think that's been proven here time and time again.

As an alternative, I'd suggest that moderators NOT be able to pass out "infractions" unless a complaint has been lodged by another member. At that point whoever monitors the "moderator" mail box can make a decision on what punishment can be meted out. In most cases, a simple PM stating "that was outta line" can work wonders. We're all adults here (well most of us are anyway.)

There - "positive" constructive criticism.

Or am I still being to negative?

Telling you that you're being out of line is like throwing gasoline on a fire. This thread is evidence.

Exactly.

However, when you give the "power" to a few you can be damn sure that it will be abused in very short order. I think that's been proven here time and time again.

I've been a moderator for a while and I'm the one that gave you the infraction.

Which means your statement is incorrect.

People rarely report posts, which does not mean every post is okay?

People rarely report posts, which does not mean every post is okay?

Maybe we should push for more self moderation by having members use the "Report a Post" Feature?

That way if others than a moderator who might be biased complain about it, then maybe its time to take action. I am sure there are plenty of times where most will think something was fine but a moderator will still remove, change or issue an infraction where its just not needed.

Ths doesnt apply just to this forum either, its across the board on all forums.

Now if this isn't constructive....I don't know what is.

Maybe we should push for more self moderation by having members use the "Report a Post" Feature?

That way if others than a moderator who might be biased complain about it, then maybe its time to take action. I am sure there are plenty of times where most will think something was fine but a moderator will still remove, change or issue an infraction where its just not needed.

I guess I have to ask the glaringly obvious question: What of your's got moderated?

We have requested that many times and would really like to see more use of the "Report a Post" feature.

I think many worry that the poster will automatically get in trouble or will know that the post was reported by them. Neither are true.

Nothing..I am just offering constructive criticism.

I said that from the very begginning.

Nothing of mine had to get "moderated" for me to offer some up some advice and criticism which is on topic.

Staying on topic is more than I can say some of your moderators do.

Just sayin'

I move that all posts in this thread that aren't pertaining to Todd's public post of the initial bitching about an infraction be stricken from the record and be placed into a "Constructive Criticism" thread.

This is supposed to be a liberal pity party thread. Stay on topic.